My book ~ An Interview

My book (which I've just started and is not at all yet finished) which is based on the plot explained in the examples in my post 'how to find a good plot', is now interviewed by myself. (Some of the questions are taken from Miss Dashwood's blog, 'the Quest for stories')



~What's the name of your project? When did you first come up with the idea? And how long have you been working on it?
My novel is called Suxbury village. Basically the title is a little like Cranford- you know, there’s a little village, and the story takes place there. Citizens fall in love or make enemies with each-other, and almost everything comes out of the village.
I came up with the idea- I don’t know really. I had made myself a neat little plot and I decided it would take place in an exact replica of Cranford- Suxbury Village there you go!
I’ve been working on it for- let’s see- just two months or so? Yes, I know- it’s dangerously new, so I might well stop soon. But I’m still really enthusiastic about it and hope very much to finish it well. I’m currently on my second chapter.
~Sum up your novel in five words or less.
A different, younger Cranford 
~Who is your favourite character?  Tell us about him or her.
My favourite character is Martha, Mary’s older and closest sister. Firstly, I like her because she’s such immense fun to write about! Secondly, I like her because she’s such a dreamy-head and because she’s so funny. Sometimes she’s an immensely wild tomboy, and then she’s a sweet elegant lady.
~Where does your novel take place?  What time period?
It takes place in England, in Suxbury village, which is an exact replica of Cranford. My story is set in the Edwardian Era.
~Do you have a theme song for your story?  What is it?
A rooling, wooling, dancy waltz.
~What's been the hardest part to write so far?
The part where the hero, Mr Matthew Knightley asks Mary to dance. I don't know why, but I just had problems writing this sentence:
‘May I have this dance?’ he asked, making a short and solemn bow.
Ridiculous, I know.

~Which chapter was your favourite so far?
The first. I like writing first chapters. Cough.
~Can you share one of your favourite snippets? 
‘The people in London are snobbish and think only of money.' began Mr Knightley. 'My mother forced me to ask the most ridiculous ladies to dance. Once I danced with a lady who spoke of nothing but lace. She actually managed to engage me into a whole conversation about the dull subject!’
Mary laughed a little, wondering whether Mr Knightley was exaggerating perhaps a little bit. He was talking in a very serious way, but that only made it funnier.
‘No- I take that back,’ said Mr Knightley after a moments pondering. ‘She did not engage me, it wasn’t a conversation, it was a monologue, and it wasn’t dull, it was extremely dull.’
Mary stifled one of her upcoming snorts. ‘You are quite witty sir.’
Mr Knightley smiled. ‘Thank you.’
~Are any aspects of your story drawn directly from your own life?  Give us an example.  
The main character is quite similar to me, and she’s part of a big family, like me. But… for the rest it’s entirely fictional.
~Your main character gets dumped into a big city in the modern era (or if you're writing a contemporary work, he/she gets dumped in medieval London).  How does he/she respond?
Mary looked around, blinked once or twice and decided she was having a nightmare.
~Who's the funniest character in your story? Tell us why! Give examples! Support your argument.  :D
 I think one of the funniest characters is Peggy, Mary’s younger sister, who’s exactly like Anne Shirley (only a shade less chatty). She has some rather melodramatically funny quotes. One of them:
‘Yes mama,’ mumbled Peggy through her tears. ‘It’s just that- I had looked forward to it so much! You cannot know how it feels. I am currently doomed into a pool of wretched hopes, buried forever.
She’s funny because she doesn’t know she is.
~If you were forced to eliminate a character from your story--just wash them clean off the slate--who would it be?
I would clean off Ethel Yateson, Ella, Mary’s best friend’s younger sister. She has a rather minor role which I would easily miss.
~Do you plan on writing a sequel to your novel?
No sirree. I’ve got enough with one book.
~Do you have a dream-cast for your characters?
Well, I've got a face for everyone, so yes, I do have a dream cast. This is the main family in the story: the family Dimmer:
Mr Dimmer: I only know that he's in the movie 'it's a beautiful world', but I don't know anything else.
Mrs Dimmer: Julia Sawalha- Jessie Brown in Cranford
Estelle Dimmer (23): The eldest girl is a slightly younger version of Lady Adelaide (Olivia Grant) in Lark Rise to Candleford.
Martha Dimmer (20): Someone in 'Meet me at St Louis'. That face is Martha to a T.
John Dimmer (19): Dick Dewy in 'Under the Greenwood tree'.
Mary Dimmer (18): Ah the main character. She looks like a young Julie Andrews.
Henry Dimmer (16): Ben Walton
Peggy Dimmer (14): A young Winona Ryder.
Scott Dimmer (10): Harry in Cranford
Roland Dimmer (7): Also someone in 'it's a beautiful world', but I don't know his name.
I hope that introduced you to the family Dimmer and Suxbury Village in general!

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE that cover! Did you make it yourself? Probably- you're so good at things like that.:) This book sounds sooooo good! I love that snippet. I could never come up with charming lines like that. Bye the way, Mr. Dimmer is Jimmy Stuart. He's a very famous old American actor that Emma and I like. I would love to read this book someday!
    ~Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that cover! Did you make it yourself? Probably- you're so good at things like that.:) This book sounds sooooo good! I love that snippet. I could never come up with charming lines like that. Bye the way, Mr. Dimmer is Jimmy Stuart. He's a very famous old American actor that Emma and I like. I would love to read this book someday!
    ~Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, thank you so much Sadie! What a sweet comment. Ohhh yes! That IS Jimmy Stuart.
    And yes, I did make that cover myself.

    ~Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naaaaooomiiii!!!!!

    I loved this. It's so much fun to read about your novel, dear! I like it already. I simply cannot wait until you finish it. (Because you will, I know. :-P)

    I named Calico's younger sister Peggy too! How ironic is that! She's not particularly funny or melodramatic (Francis is the funny one and Calico is the most melodramatic), but she's very sweet and she and Calico are very close even though they're four years apart in age.

    Mr. Dimmer is Jimmy Stewart! (By the way, it's spelled Stewart, not Stuart. I'm talking to you, Sadie. Come on, girl, you ought to know better. :-P) And the movie is called 'It's A Wonderful Life'.
    Martha Dimmer is Lucille Ballard!
    Henry Dimmer is Ben Walton!
    John Dimmer is DICK DEWEY!!!!!

    Haha, I love your dream cast. :-) I also love all the new pictures you've added to your sidebar! I actually took one of them (don't scold me :-)) and laughed when I saw what you had titled it. Then I went through all the others to see what you titled them. I'm terribly nosy. :-P

    You took the Anne and Diana button! Yes, I did make it with you in mind, since after all you sent me the picture. :-) Thanks, darling.

    I love these questions-- would you mind if I did this on my blog? I know you'll probably say, of course not Emma, but I want to ask just the same.

    Cheerio!
    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yes, I love the cover too! The Gibson Girl picture is so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooooh your novel sounds like so much fun! If you are ever in need of a beta reader, please do email me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your novel sounds simply delightful! I'd love to be fortunate enough to read it someday. :)

    Blessings!
    Cryslyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all the delightful comments! That makes me feel like a 'real' author.

    Em,
    Well, I'm surprised both of us have a younger sister Peggy in our books. That's just how we are, picking the same ideas.
    Does Calico have a best friend called Ella, by any chance? Mary has, you see.
    *Naomi waits till Emma's scolding towards her younger sister is over*
    cough. I'm kidding.
    Do you like Dick Dewy, Emma? Okay- we shall talk about this in my next email because my feelings towards Dick Dewy are not very.... we'll speak about this later, okay?
    Yes, Ben Walton IS Henry Dimmer. He's Ben Walton in the later series, when he's about 1§ years old. And by the way, Jason IS older than Mary Ellen- that's what Wikipedia says, but it might be wrong.
    Which picture did you take? Was it the one called 'if you don't like this'? Haha, yes, I'm terribly nosy as well and I like seeing what people named pictures.
    Actually you should be careful what you name your pictures when you make a game, Em. After I played your men-apparel game, I had a peek and there were all the answers! Eeeek!
    Of course! PLEASE DO THE TAG!!! I'm soooo much looking forward to your answers!!!!!

    Evie,
    I shall bear that in mind ;-)

    Crylyn,
    Thanks! I hope you shall be able to read it one day as well.

    Now I actually have to go on writing it!

    ~Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, Callie does not have a best friend named Ella. In fact, she doesn't have a best friend at all yet. *Emma gasps* I should give her a best friend, shouldn't I?

    Am I to understand that you do not like Dick Dewey?!? Actually I'm not a huge fan, but I DO like him. Plus I think he's extremely dreamily good-looking. I don't like Fancy, though-- I think she's whiny and she doesn't deserve Dick.
    I actually didn't know you had seen Under the Greenwood Tree. I'm not really a huge fan of the movie (I don't really like Thomas Hardy in general), but I did like Dick. :-)

    Yes, you're right, I'm sorry, Jason is older than Mary Ellen. I consulted my mom and my sisters just now and they all say he's older. I apologize. ;D

    The first picture I clicked on was 'too pretty to look at', so then of course I had to see what they were all called. :-P Yes, I did take 'if you don't like this', which made me crack up.

    I know, Sadie recently informed me of the fact that it's very easy to cheat when playing my games. I didn't think of that before, but I will remember not to name the pictures with the answers anymore, haha.

    ~Violet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a delightful story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you mind horribly if I used these questions, I've got an idea!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.