Which is all about me and my relation with books...

 
 
1. Favourite childhood book? Little House on the Prairie books. I can't tell you how much I read them.
2. What are you reading right now? Lark Rise to Candleford. I found the book at my Grandparents house and I was very surprised, because I didn't know there was a book. But there is. (It's not as good as the movie, but nevah mind.)
3. What books do you have on request at the library? Lynn Austin books we haven't got at home. Yes, I freely admit it. I am addicted to Lynn-books.
4. Bad book habit? Reading when I should be doing other things. Reading very late in the night.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library? Sadly, I don't often go to the library because we don't have one nearby, but the last one I checked out was 'Gone with the Wind' by Margaret Mitchell.
6. Do you have an e-reader? Yes, I have a kindle. But real books are better.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once? It would be better if I read one book at the time, but I don't. I always have several going. Must be another bad book habit.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog? Yes, blogging has inspired me to write more. Not only on my blog but just in general. So I tend to spend a little more time writing than reading. And I also read more blog posts now.
9. Least favourite book you read this year so far? That must be 'Mill on the Floss' by George Eliot. George Eliot is not my favourite author.
10. Favourite book you’ve read this year? Phew, this one is hard. Let me think about books I've read for the first time this year, or else it's too hard. The honour goes to the 'Refiners Fire' series by Lynn Austin. Go. Read them. Now.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone? Not often.
12. What is your reading comfort zone? Reading books after my mum has read them or Classics. Classics are always okay.
13. Can you read in the car? Yes, definitely! I do nothing BUT.
14. Favourite place to read? This is the easiest question yet! In my bed. That's where I plunder all my books, write {all} my stories, dream all my dreams and write all my blog posts.
15. What is your policy on book lending? Making sure I get it back after less than half a year.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books? Yes. Sorry. I do it the whole time.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books? If the book belongs to me and is an absolute old favourite, I do yes. You should see my 'Pride and Prejudice' copy. Or no. You shouldn't.
18. Do you break /crack the spine of your book? Yes I do sometimes, by accident. I'm terrible. But of course, I try not to. But when a book is really old, one can't help it, can one?
19. What is your favourite language to read in? I don't really like reading in Dutch, unless it's a Lynn Austin book which is fine in every language. I prefer English. That language is rich in words and has no bounds!
20. What makes you love a book? A good plot. A catchy first chapter. Romantic bits. Funny lines. Chatty characters. An ending which makes me cry (a good ending, of course- but touching.)
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book? If I find myself rereading it every year I know I'd recommend it to people.
22. Favourite genre? Shamelessly, I tell you, it's Romance.
23. Genre you rarely read but wish you did? Maybe really old classics. (Not talking about Jane Austen- I read that of course!!!)
24. Favourite biography? 'Alicia' by Alicia Appleman-Jurman. It's the saddest book ever, about a Jewess during the second world war, but it's amazing, intriguing and so horribly real.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book? Nope.
26. Favourite cookbook? Nope. (I mean to say that I don't have one.)
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)? The 'Refiners Fire' books by Lynn Austin and 'Rilla of Ingleside' by Lucy Maud Montgomery, indubitably. They made me laugh, cry and think.
28. Favourite reading snack? Popcorn.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience. Huh?
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book? I haven't read enough critics about books I've read to answer this question properly. Sorry 'bout that, ma'am.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews? I like it. *grins cheekily* It's fun to bash on and state your silly opinions.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose? I'm okay with English, actually. I can read French, but it would need some improvement to enjoy reading in French. So yeah, French.
35. Favourite poet? I'm not a great poetry-person. My brothers make funny poems sometimes, so it's them. I love their poems because they don't rhyme and they are absolutely nonsensical. And I like that. :-P
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time? As much as your truly's arms can carry!
37. How often have you returned books to the library unread? Sadly, quite a lot, actually. Finding good books is really quite rare nowadays.
38. Favourite fictional character? Elizabeth Bennet, Valancy Stirling, Rilla Blythe, Laura Ingalls, Nellie Oleson (yes), Roger Hamely, Barney Snaith, my Moses Cooper, Bertram Wooster, and, of course, Anne Shirley.
39. Favourite fictional villain? Nellie Oleson.
41. The longest you’ve gone without reading? That question I cannot answer.
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish. Les Miserables. Sorry guys. The book is just too long. Period.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading? A conversation on the background. My siblings playing the piano.
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel? Pride and Prejudice 1995!
45. Most disappointing film adaptation? Pride and Prejudice 2005.
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time? I've often spent quite some money ordering things on Amazon. But how much, I can't recall. And even if I could, I wouldn't really want to tell you all, heehee.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it? Pfff. Too much.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through? A very inappropriate scene. Or when it gets really long-winded and boring.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized? Yes, I'd love to. My books are normally organised on my shelves, but there's always a bunch under my bed.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them? Keep, keep, keep. I'm a great re-reader, so I need my books if I like them.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding? Yes. The Narnia books - just not my thing. Some really thick boring-looking books. Schoolbooks. Hum.
52. Name a book that made you angry. Well, I once read a Dutch girlish book about a heroine who was VERY annoying and every one kept on saying how adorable she was. That made me so angry. The 'Elsie Dinsmore' books by 'Martha Finley' also make me angry. Seven-year-olds don't act like Elsie does. Being TOO good is ... argh.
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did? Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I love that book... I never expected I would!
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t? That's happened a LOT, I'm afraid! All the books with those pretty misleading covers! I'm sure you can all relate!
55. Favourite guilt-free pleasure reading? Little House on the Prairie books. Mine forever. And P&P. Mine forever too.
Is your relation with books similar to mine?

 

12 comments:

  1. Hey Naomi,
    A sweet post, as always! I am *considering* borrowing these questions for a post of my own, would that be okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you may! I stole these questions from another blog who stole them from another blog who stole them from another! Perfectly okay!
    They are great fun to answer... I'm glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning M'dear! :-)
    I will probably have to be a ninja and steal these too. When I have the time A post will come :D. Oh, do you want me to include the picture too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I loved this post, how I wish I could write like you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evie, Thanks! I'm so glad you like the way I write... very sweet of you to say so.
    You don't have to add the picture... I just made it because I felt like it... but you may. I didn't invent these questions, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed! Finding good books is really hard to do. But I guess that it makes it so much more exciting when you do!
    P&P '95 is indeed one of the best adaptions of a book ever! P&P 2005 is good if you're feeling like bashing a movie. That's it's sole purpose, really. :P
    Wait???????? You don't like Narnia? But it's amazing! Of course I understand if you dislike them. I've grown up with them. :)
    People give away books? Um, no they don't. Or at least I don't. :)

    God Bless,
    Vellvin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny that you say you don't like reading in Dutch. I find that I don't much like it either anymore. I sometimes feel guilty about this, after all, Dutch is my mother tongue, why would I 'spurn' that language. But the truth is, I hardly ever read things which were originally written in Dutch (apart from some magazines) and translating really does detract from the story. So, English it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Velvin,
    Yay! Another P&P 95 fan! Always happy to meet another.
    Sorry, the Narnia books and movies just aren't my thing. If you want to know why, I wrote a review on it... click on my 'review' page and you'll find it.

    Birdie,
    I quite agree... exactly. I read Dutch magazines and veery sometimes a book... but I just prefer reading English, even though it isn't my mother tongue!
    Glad you can relate!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes. I remember seeing the blog post when I discovered your blog. :)
    Oh! And I love War Horse! It's one of my favourite movies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just filling out my answers to this :D

    Little House on the Prairie. Ahhh. My favorite was On the Shores of Silver Lake.

    "Several books going at the same time" readers unite!!!

    I'm have Mill on the Floss currently checked out from the library. I like George Eliot, so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

    CLASSICS ARE ALWAYS OKAY!!! So true!!! :D

    Yes, the English language is wonderful!!

    Rilla of Ingleside is.. just.. wow!! Words can't describe!!

    The Narnia books!! I know you don't like them, but I think they are wonderful!!

    I keep forgetting Elsie was seven! She acts like she's way older!!

    Loved this tag :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to, um…borrow, borrow without permission, this tag :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun post! I may have to "borrow" this list and answer it myself :-)

    I write in books and dog-ear them too. But I only write in them if I own them. And I don't write in all of them, just the ones that *need* it!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.