Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Literary Heroine Party Questionnaire!

Kellie Falconer at Accordion to Kellie is hosting her annual Literary Heroine party! I remember reading other bloggers' answers in the past and I had always set my mind on answering the questions once she hosted it again. I always like a set of good questions. :-)
 
 
1. Introduce yourself! Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random! 
Hi! My name is Naomi Bennet (I know, you didn't know that, right?), I'm sixteen years old, a Christian gal with a British nationality and my favourite favourite favouritest thing in the world is writing. Followers of my blog are bound to know this. :-) I also adore Jane Austen, literary stuff, classics, and reading under the warm blankets in my beloved bedroom. I have been home-schooled all my life and I'm the second of almost-ten children!
 
2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 
Oh, they have to be kind. Nome, Scarlett O'Hara ain't a heroine. I don't demand them all to be pretty or book worms or writers or imaginative, but they have to have a good heart.
 
3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to.
I relate a LOT to Jerusha in Daddy-Long-Legs and I'm also very similar to Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables, Lizzy Bennet in Pride and Prejudice and... mmm... oh yes! Alice Grace Ripley from Wonderland Creek.
 
4. Five of your favourite historical novels? 
GONE WITH THE WIND, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Hidden Places and To Kill a Mockingbird. Hm. I made that sound as if it was easy to narrow down my large range of favourite historical novels to five. Twasn't.
 
5. Out of those five books who is your favourite major character and why?
Well, I have to stick with Elizabeth Bennet, because she's so undyingly favouritable. She's this lovely character everyone loves. I mean, I don't know ANYONE who doesn't like Lizzy Bennet. She's funny, to-the-point but wise and sweet at the same time. Yup, she's priceless.
But I also love Atticus and Gabe Harper. :-)
 
 
 
6. Out of those five books who is your favourite secondary character and why? 
Melanie Wilkes, definitely.
Why?
Well, YOU know. We ALL love Melanie. She's too gullible, yes, and yes, it drives me a little crazy that she loves Scarlett so much, but man, she's such a doll. She's like the only really nice character in the whole book - what's not to love? :-)
 
7. If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? 
I would go to America and visit my best friend! What would I plan to do? WELL. Watch movies, read books, take walks, make scrapbooks... laugh till we practically die. :-)
But if else, I'd choose to spend my entire vacation in the shades of my house and write and read books.
 
 
 
8. What is your favourite time period and culture to read about? 
Well, this often changes. Now, it's the 1930's. But I also love American Civil War books, Regency books and WW2 and WW1-time books. I enjoy all the eras from Regency and later, actually.
 
9. You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation, tap dancing… what is your act comprised of? 
Singing, I guess! One of my secret dreams is to be part of a trio and sing Andrews Sisters songs on stage.
 
10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? 
Oh, fun question! Well, costume-wise, perhaps Scarlett O'Hara, because I love hoopskirts. But yeah, only costume-wise. No seriously, I'd choose a Jane Austen heroine. Maybe Emma Woodhouse, because she's awesome and nonsensical and I'd represent that well. Or maybe Anne Shirley, if someone would give me a red wig. :-)
 
 
11. Favourite author(s)? 
Lucy Maud Montgomery and Lynn Austin. :-)
 
12. In which century were most of the books you read written? 
Hmm, I don't know! I read quite a lot of books written in the recent years, but also a lot of classics - written in the Victorian/Edwardian era. (?)
 
13. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in all literature is… 
MR KNIGHTLEY. Love him.
 
 
In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... 
BLANDOIS. Hate him.
 
Describe your ideal dwelling place. 
I'm not a big city person, but I'm also not a huge country person (haha, I wrote 'parson' by accident first.) I like a nice house in some calm streets with trees and other houses. As for the LOOKS of the houses I think ideal, I absolutely love the crumbly English cottage look....
 
 
 
Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence.
Professional, girlish and a little sparkle of special-ness.
 
Three favourite Non-fiction books? 
The Bible, Alicia, and the biography of Maria von Trapp. But really, aside from the Bible, which I read every evening, I rarely read non-fiction.
 
Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 
I'd write and read and maybe watch a movie and blog a little. But the majority would be typing away on my current novel.
 
Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 
Ha, well, I rarely wear hats, but I do like them. Well, I'd like a fuzzy dark, deep red beret - made of fuzzy, sparkly, thick, flossy wool. Hey, I want that hat. It actually sounds really good.
 
Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 
Starting my blog and finishing some books.
 
Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.
"When times are good, be happy. But when times are bad, consider; the Lord has made the one as well as the other." Ecclesiasteces 7: 14

 
Thanks for the great questions! This was fun!

25 comments:

  1. YES YES. All of your answers - I Approve. ;-) Especially about staying in your house for vacation. This looks lovely - p'raps I should do it! :-)
    Oh, you're the second in your family? Do you have an older sister if brother? (And noooo, you don't have to answer if that was too... invasive. :-p
    ~Miss Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Elliot,

    yes do this tag! I'd love to read your answers! Yup, I'm the second - I have one older brother who's two years older than I. And don't worry - I love it when people just randomly ask me stuff. Do it again if you wish, m'dear!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such great fun! It was awesome reading your answers, and then I toddled on over to Accordion to Kellie to join the party myself XD Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I forgot how much I was looking forward to this!
    I must read To Kill a Mockingbird!!
    1930s are awesome!
    Blandois is creeeeepy!!
    That hat sounds like Alice's on the cover of Wonderland Creek :D
    Great verse!!
    Can't wait to fill out my answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also love that house! I also like that english cottage look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog through the link up on Kellie's blog.:) It looks like we have a lot in common.:) I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arwen, thank you! I read your answers and I loved reading them too! :-)

    Ashley, indeed, you have to read To Kill a Mockingbird. Huh yeah... BLANDOIS. Or Blandoys, as Mr Pancks says. :-) Heehee, no the hat I was envisioning doesn't look at all like Alice's, actually. :-)I'm looking forward to reading your answers, dear!

    Clara Ruth Stone, I know! Isn't it a gorgeous look?!!

    Salinn, oh I'm so glad you found my blog and enjoy it! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog party is going to be so fun! :-) I'm glad you're doing it too.

    I have to say, not many of these answers were new information to me. ;-P Haha. But it was still enjoyable to read!

    And I'm so happy you love Atticus so much!!!

    Ew, Blandois. Yes, I agree. Yuck.

    That little cottage is so stinkin' cute! I'll come visit you there. :-)

    Oh my goodness, that is such a great verse! I've noticed that I really like your Bible translation-- which version do you use? It seems very straightforward and still poetic, which I like.

    Fun, dear! :-)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma dear,

    Are you going to answer the questions? I hope so. :-) HAHA not many of our posts are informative for each other, are there? When I spot something I don't know I'm like, 'WOW.'
    Heehee, you'll always be welcome wherever I live.
    Yes, I love my Bible translation - I got the Bible for my confirmation and it is, as you put it, straight forward, but still quaint. It's the New International Version. :-)
    Thanks dear!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cottage is lovely. Something like that would be my second choice to live in.

    Beautiful blog. I found you through Kellie's blog party and look forward to reading more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This party is a bright spot in my February. I see we have a couple of heroines we both admire, which is fun :-)

    I think that "not liking Lizzy Bennet" could be a good test for whether someone is a human or an alien.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Namoi! It was fun to read your answers. :) I put Mr. Knightley down as my favorite too. Also, I think your example cottage is darling - that's the sort of house I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes, Mr. Knightly is a good choice for the hero question. I should have thought of him when writing out my answers.
    Grace & Peace,Betsy
    princesstatters.blogspot.com-literary-heroine-blog-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm excited to have discovered your blog! I was also homeschool and I'm from a big family. :)
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/02/literary-heroine-blog-party-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely adore your answers. That dream cottage though! Basically you just described my dream house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kelpie, I'm so glad you stumbled on my blog and that you like it! Hope to 'see' you in the future, then!

    Hamlette, haha! Yes, not-liking Lizzy. Is that possible?

    Paige, oh my yes, I LOVE lovelovelove Mr Knightley. And I'm talking about him in the 2009 version, of course. He's amazing. Thanks for the comment!

    Evie, you are in a party mood, dear!

    Lois, oh a fellow homeschooler from a big family! Welcome to my blog.

    Susanna, awww thanks! I know, isn't the cottage darling? My favourite bit is probably the red door... haha.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect selections and WHY was I not surprised when Lizzy and Mr. Knightley made their appearance???!!!! ;)

    (Btw, I'm still getting used to it, but I love the new spring-y look for everything! And..."About the girl who entertains (tortures?) you with her posts"?? VERY funny, m'dear. ;) And of course, I'm teasing -- but you know that! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Naomi,
    Isn't it interesting how the same set of good questions can bring out so many things about different people? And this is not only a good set, it is one of the best. :)

    I love the 1930's too (mainly of course because of Nancy Drew's, and Bertie Wooster and b/w movies) but I do love them! And on that note, what are your favorite things about that time period?

    Oh yes, and hoopskirts are simply the most FUN things to wear ever! I just love how they make you feel so bookish and romantic! What else would you wish in a dream costume? Well, I suppose there are other things, but those two are a jolly start to my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heidi, HAHA. Yes, Lizzy and Mr Knightley definitely HAD to make an appearance! By the way, we're in the middle of watching Emma09 again, and I'm SOOOO in love with Mr Knightley again! He's just perfection! :-)
    Haha, I'm glad you like that about 'the girl who entertains'. Yes, it WAS supposed to be funny!

    Eowyn, Awww thank you! Oh I just love 1930 because some of my latest favourite books are in that time period, and because the fashion was so lovely, and it's just so inspirational.
    Oh, you've WORN hoop-skirts? I've never, but I KNOW they are fun to wear. Mmm... In my dream costume - pink, lace, frills. I'd wish a nice fussy girlish thing with big twirly hoop-skirts. :-)

    Thank you for the comments!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huh. Kellie left out a few very good questions this year! I wish I had realized that and copied the previous year questions! Oh well.
    Yes, how could anyone not like Elizabeth Bennent? Unless their only acquaintance with her was from the 2005 version...hem...then they might be entitled to slight dislike.
    I have not read Gone With the Wind (yet) but I do so love Melanie!!
    HAHAHA, Blandois was my answer for last year. :) He still would be for this year too, but I decided to choose someone else for a change.
    AWW that house is absolutely positively charming and adorable!!!!
    Loved reading your answers! And congrats on your first year joining in on the party!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed your answers!
    It's true, Elizabeth Bennet is loved by everyone - and have so many funny lines.
    And I love your new blog design - it is very pretty and spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
  22. English Cottages are my favorite! There was this street near where I lived in California that was lined with all these little cottages. I always thought it would be awesome to live in one. :)

    Isn't Judy Abbott awesome?! I just love her to bits.

    Great answers! I love this blog party. Kellie does such a great job with the questions.

    (Incidentally, I don't think I realized you were British til now. Shows how much I pay attention to the little details, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree. The heroine has to have a good heart. Did not like Scarlett O'Hara in GWTW at all.

    As for you being British, great to hear that. Hurray for England!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I love Melanie as well. I used her a favorite secondary character last year. ^_^ She has such a loving spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.