OH MY GOODNESS I JUST LITERALLY DIED

Today I want to talk about exaggerating.


To start off this post, I want to make sure that you know this. I ALWAYS EXAGGERATE. Like, every single second in my life. There's not one time - literally not ONE - in my life when I'm not exaggerating. (Hahahahaha. I'm so funny.) 
Seriously though, I do exaggerate a lot. In real life, when I talk, I often make things sound worse or jubilant than they really are, without really noticing. Online, I have to admit, I exaggerate too. And it's about the online exaggerating I want to talk about.

So yes - I do it. This post isn't a critizing rant, because I DO IT. Too much.

So, you might have noticed, many comments on the Internet go like this:

On a funny post:
THIS IS SO FUNNY OMG I JUST LITERALLY DIED
In the comment section of a sad Youtube video:
I'M CRYING LITERALLY MY WHOLE FACE IS SOAKING WITH TEARS
On the news of the marriage of a celebrity:
AHHH MY LIFE IS ENDED!!!
On a blog post:
THIS IS AMAZING. LITERALLY THE BEST THING I HAVE READ IN MY WHOLE LIFE WOW WOW WOW
On a pin of a cute couple:
OH HOW CUTE IS THAT I JUST LITERALLY MELTED
On a funny-cat-picture:
I'M OFFICIALLY DEAD. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING. THIS MADE, LIKE MY WHOLE ENTIRE YEAR

Okay, I have to admit, I like some punch and fangirling in comments (and, as I said, I do this myself continually. According to my comment history, I've died about twenty times officially), but seriously - sometimes it really gets over the top that it doesn't seem geniune anymore. 

It's recently really started to annoy me, and I'm trying to make my comments sound more real and truthful from now on. I have to admit, I laugh inwardly at some of those over-exaggerated comments. Because OF COURSE they didn't just die. Of course they aren't really continually laughing. Of course people don't melt.

Basically, this is how it all goes:

This is what people write:

I'M LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF HOW FUNNY IS THIS OH MAH LANTA THIS IS HILARIOUS

This is what they (probably) looked like when they saw/read the funny thing first:

That's all. No broken heads.
And as they write the comment, they probably aren't laughing at all. Let alone smiling.

I always feel like replying to those comments. When people say they died I want to sarcastically offer my condolences. When people say they melted I want to say, 'How clever. I thought only candles possessed the talent!' I have thought these sarcastic snipy things against the un-genuine comments for ages. And one day I read some of my comments and realised I was exactly the same.

So from now on I'm not going to literally die again. I'm going to try to make my comments sound more real and genuine. I'm going to write what I think and I'm going to try to not exaggerate. I'm never going to say that I just 'literally' died. That's, sorry to say, plain ridiculous, in my opinion. (But if you comment with it on my blog, I'm not annoyed. I'm just amused and I love you because you're that kind of awesome personality. It's fine, m'dear. :-P)

It's actually really hard.

Do you know why it's hard not to exaggerate? Because other people do - and you might sound boring and so un-enthusiastic next to all the other fellow commenters. Thing is, on the Internet, one uses words. One doesn't see ones face. One can lie EASILY and without thinking or realising it. 

So three people might all three snicker at a funny post and write three different things.

The exaggerated person might write: THIS IS LITERALLY THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER EVER EVER READ. HOW ARE YOU SO CLEVER? I am STREAMING WITH TEARS of laughter! HAHAHAHA. LOLLLL. BASICALLY PERFECT.

The truthful person who exaggerates because s/he doesn't want to sound boring next to the others  (this is basically me) might write: Wow! This is hilarious! You really had me laughing along! YOU'RE SO TALENTED, Man!

The truthful person might write: This is very funny! I snickered when you wrote that about (e.g) the Mr Collins wave. Good job!

On 'famous' blogs, I have noticed, there is a lot of exaggeration. Commenters want the popular bloggers to be flattered and notice them and they do so by over-exaggerating on every single post they write.
Random picture of Lizzy. She's a good example of geniune enthusiasm, don't you think?
BUT!

I have to say, I like a bit of exaggeration. You know, the fan-girling kind of exaggeration. So yeah, I might die after all, the next time I see a funny exam paper. And I might melt when I see another beautiful picture of Cinderella's ball gown. And I will not quit caps.

But I'm still going to try to make my comments sound from the heart and genuine.

And one last note: Please DO NOT stop commenting with caps and slightly tumbling-with-examples-I-mentioned words. You know, I will take it with a snicker (or no, I will DIE LAUGHING ABOUT IT) and I don't hate comments less because of it. In fact, I rather enjoy those exaggerated comments. But I really appreciate geniune-ness. I don't like people that lie, but I don't mind (at all!) people who have that delightful little habit of expressing their love/hate about things by saying they are melting or dying. It's quite amusing.

And I'm always very flattered when you guys write stuff like, 'I laughed aloud!' or 'This absolutely made my day!' I believe you when you write it, and I'm so often touched to the heart by your comments. I know you don't lie (and if you have, don't worry, I have too, once or twice. Eck. Naomi.) and I appreciate your lovely comments a lot. REALLY.

All I ask is: Be truthful and don't lie.

What do you think of the whole exaggeration-business?
Have you written that you 'literally died?' :-P

14 comments:

  1. I'm duly chided, old thing. I mean to say, sobered, what.

    Haha, I must confess that I have noticed a slight *aherm* tendency to over-exaggerate in my comments and posts *cough cough* And you're right, I AM going to try to control my silliness a little better, but…I'm glad you don't mind caps and fangirling, because I'm afraid I can't stop that, you see;)

    That picture you used to illustrate what people actually look like when they say they've "died" is quite true:D Usually, when I die over a fandom or character or post, I die inwardly;)

    Bravo for writing this! Food for thought, dontcha know:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I don't think I have truly ever written anything like that online. May I ask how old you are? I am wondering if the places you socialize online are with groups that are much younger than I am. I do see a little bit of the "So cute!" Things like that, but I don't really notice it to the level you mention. A generation thing? I will usually be honest and polite in comments, unless I am specifically putting someone in their place...then I am probably just blunt and rude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DO THIS ALL THE TIME!!! haha...no seriously though, I can totally relate:) I feel that since people can't actually see me I have to show my excitement or enthusiasm through the over emphasis of my words and letters. Yes, I do fangirl over things so you are not alone:)I leave smiley faces way to much, man!! Great post.
    -Madison
    www.1minniemuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Hangs head in shame* Guilty as charged my friend.. :-) although.. I do try and refrain myself but when I get excited about somthing I do have the tendancy to use all caps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to be careful about not using "literally" wrong but I do exaggerate excessively.
    HOWEVER
    This post was so funny I could possibly forgive you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is so very true. I'm afraid most of us are guilty of over-exaggerating, but now that you wrote this post I have seen the error of my ways!!! But I am so very glad you don't mind caps and a leetle over-exuberance now and again. :) Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THIS IS SO TRUE! I do this all of the time! I guess it my makes my soul happy. WE ARE KINDRED COMMENTERS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get SO ANGRY when people use the word "literally" incorrectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They really mean "figuratively," which is the opposite of "literally" and it ANNOYS ME TO DEATH!

    (Hee. It does, though. Just not to literal death.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You hit the nail right on the head. AGAIN. (And yes, I was about to type that in all capitals, but thought better of it. ;-P)

    This is so true! I'm not usually bothered by gushing, because I'm just a gushy sort of person, at least about things I love. And that definitely comes out in my online conversations. (Ahem *coughcoughcough*) But it can get very annoying. Like you said, obviously no one ever actually melts into a heap over something (except for the Wicked Witch of the West, and we don't associate with people like her.) It's cute sometimes, but when overdone-- blahh. It's just insincere.

    However, I do think it is somewhat of a talent, being able to sincerely rant about things, knowing properly how to use capitals and dramatic expressions like that. One I hope I'm pretty good at. Because, you know, 'tis jolly good fun. :-)

    Thank you so much for this! I won't say I melted, or that I just literally died....but in all sincerity, this is some purty good stuff. Good work, Naomi. :-)

    ~Violet

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking a lot about how I exaggerate today. I have been praying and trying better not to do so much anymore. What a coincidence seeing this in my dash! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olivia, I'm sorry, m'dear! As I said, don't worry - I DO LOVE CAPS.
    Yes, that is true. I do die inwardly.

    Paperdollmom, I'm sixteen - so yeah, it's probably us young and foolish folk. :-) But I see it more in Youtube comments and places where all kinds of people comment. But yeah, probably more teenagers.

    Madison, Haha thanks! Oh, and I use smiley faces a LOT too. :-) They just make comments and sentences so much more cheerful. I have nothing whatsoever against smileys. :-P

    Evie, don't worry... I USE CAPS TOO WHEN I'M EXCITED. And especially when I read something about Dan Stevens or someone like that. :-D

    Lois, why thank you! I'm glad you found it amusing. And yes, the word 'literally' annoys me.

    Kaitlyn, no I definately don't mind some enthusiasm now and then. In fact, I love that! Just not over the top.

    Mae, Hello KINDRED COMMENTER!!!! :-)

    Hamlette, HA, your comment made me inwardly laugh... but I agree, it's SO frustrating. :)

    Emma, You ARE good at it. Although you HAVE said you died and melted... but I don't mind, as I said. :-) And HAHA no, we don't associate with people like the Wicked Witch of the West. (Seriously? She melts? How did they do that on stage? :-P)
    Thank you ever so much for your lovely comment, my dear. =-)

    Morg, wow! That's a coincidence! I've learnt that it's very hard not to exaggerate. I too, struggle with this!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I NEVER exaggerate. I haven't exaggerated even one time in my whole life.
    ;P

    The "literally" thing always gets me, haha. They're using the word literally to mean figuratively... did you ever see that Messy Mondays video? "The concert was SO GOOD that I LITERALLY DIED." "Aw, man, I'm sorry to hear that! When's the funeral?" "...huh?"

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melody, Haha. VERY funny. :-)
    Heehee! I LOVE Messy Mondays, but I can't remember that one! Which one was it? I'd love to see it.
    I often feel like, for example when I see a Youtube comment which says something like 'I literally died', replying and saying 'My condolences' or something like that. (I don't, though. I'm a good girl, I am.)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's called 20 Words That Are Misused & Abused. One of my favourites. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.