Monday, 4 May 2015

New Movie Alert!


I'm in a huge Royalty mood right now, people. Kate Middleton and Prince William's new daughter still doesn't have a name, and I'm reloading BBC news every half-an-hour to catch the news when it comes out first. But my favourite Royalty person is the Queen - and now, lo and behold, I see that they have made a movie about the Queen and her sister Margaret Rose when they were young Princesses. And I'm ELATED, because I love Royalty movies.


The movie is set in 1945, at the declaration of the end of the War. London was a huge party, as you might imagine - everyone was dancing in the streets, kissing and hugging random strangers for joy, drinking and smiling their heads off with pure happiness. I wish I could have been there - it must have been beyond amazing to hear that that War was OVER.


Anyway, Princess Elizabeth and her 14-year-old younger sister Margaret Rose (a mischievous kind of girl, yes, you get the point) had had a rather sheltered life, and never appeared in public unless with guards or nannies or parents or on duty. Until this evening. The girls beg their parents to have one night out - to mingle with the people on the streets, and to have fun and to be one of everyone. And then the parents say yes. And they have a great evening. That's basically what the story is about - it's like the opposite of Cinderella - Princesses become normal for an evening. :-)


Although a lot of the movie (will be)/is fictional (such as Elizabeth forming a quick attachment to a random boy and Margaret drinking a tad too much (y'know)) - the princesses did, in fact, mingle as 'normal people' at the end of the War, and Queen Elizabeth still remembers it as 'a remarkable evening' which she has never forgotten. It must have been, mustn't it?


As for the cast, Emily Watson (The Book Thief, War Horse, Miss Potter) plays Queen Elizabeth - Princess Elizabeth's mother, that is - and Sarah Gadon (Belle 2013) plays Princess Elizabeth. Bel Powley, who plays the squeal-y Margaret Rose has appeared as a flower girl in the first episode of Little Dorrit, apparently, but this is her first big role. There aren't many familiar names, but I think it looks like SUCH  a dreamy, fun, one-in-a-hundred, quirky, funny movie. I can't wait to watch it, to be frank, but I have to. :-P


You can watch the Trailer here. Just by watching the trailer, I know I'm going to like this. Glenn Miller music!!! Pink party dresses!!! Big Band dancing!!! Pearl necklaces!!! New movie alert, everyone. I know, there's too many of those, but hey, it's FUN.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Naomi, this looks like EXACTLY your kind of movie! It looks super super good. I approve of the cast-- Rupert Everett is hilarious, and Emily Watson's always good. Ooooh, and there's what's-her-face from Belle! I knew she looked familiar.

    Pink party dresses! Big band dancing! It sounds like so much fun! Thanks for giving us the scoop. (It's funny, I hardly ever hear about new movies before you do-- I'm always relying on you to let me know. I'll be the authority on the old movies, and you keep us both posted on the new ones.) ;-P

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,

    I KNOW RIGHT? This movie is just so ME. WW2, Glenn Miller music, Pink dresses, Royalty. :-)
    Oh yes! Rupet Everett - Algy!!- I suddenly recognise him. He's a fabulous actor, although he's not very much like George VI, who was calm and kind and couldn't speak well. :-)

    Ha, that's so true about you finding old movies and me finding the new ones. :-) I like it this way - we get to here of ALL of them now. :-D

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the trailer for this when I went to see Far From The Madding Crowd (which was brilliant, by the way) and I was so excited!! I a such a royalist too:) I can't wait to see this movie and it's set in one of my favourite eras. Hehe, give us your review when you get to see it:)
    Naomi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you've heard by now but the beautiful new royal baby girl is called Charlotte Elizabeth Diana! I'm so excited to see her grow up:)
    Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about this movie also!! I saw the trailer a few weeks ago and fell in love. I cant wait till it comes out!!
    -Madison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naomi, yes I have most DEFINATELY heard by now about the name! I'm so proud, because I guessed Charlotte. :-)
    Ohh, you've seen 'Far from the Madding Crowd'! That's another movie on my to-see list - how is it as far as objectional content, though? Is it suitable for an entire family?
    Oh yes, if I see it, I hope to review it. :-)

    Madison, I thought you'd like this movie - seeing as you love Vintage so much. I thought of you when I wrote this post, in fact. :-)
    I can't wait either!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! I love your blog, Naomi! The first time I visited it, I just KNEW that this was going to be one of my favourite blogs! :)

    The movie looks exciting! And I just read from Yahoo of Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. Such a beautiful name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blessing Counter, thank you for your lovely kind comment! It means so much to me that people enjoy my blog! :-)
    I know, right? Charlotte Elizabeth Diana is a beautiful name. =) I love how each name has so much meaning behind it. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sqqquuueee!!! This movie. THIS MOVIE. It looks soooo good!
    So. Excited. :) I hope I can see it.
    I love Glenn Miller too. I just found a CD of"The Best of Glenn Miller" at a garage sale the other day! :D
    And, by the way, thank you for telling me in your email that the princess was born! I immediately went and looked up as much as I could about it. :) Have you seen the adorable photos of her???Aww, I'm so glad it's a girl. Prince George and his sister will be so cute. I can't wait to find out her name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. But Natalie, the name has already been announced, m'dear! Charlotte Elizabeth Diana! I'm SO excited about it - it's weird how excited I am. Both about Charlotte and about this movie. :-)
    Oh yes! I ADORE adore adore Glenn Miller - his songs are SO... gah, I love them. My favourites are 'In the Wood' and 'Chattanooga Choo Choo.' Do you have a favourite?

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eck - not in the Wood. In the MOOD. I turned the M upside-down. Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! What a simply lovely name. Charlotte Elizabeth Diana....:) I love it.
    Thank you for telling me!!! :D
    Yes! I too love In the Mood, and I also love Moonlight Serenade, Tuxedo Junction....so many of them! The CD has Chattanooga Choo Choo, I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo, and Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree on it and those are quickly becoming favorites as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. EEP! The princess has a name!!!!! xD I just LOVE IT! coughijustfoundoutcough! This movie just looks amazingly awesome! I cannot wait to see it, it sounds like me too. Hope all is good with you! Miss all my blogger friends so very much,i'm typing this on Mummy's phone! <3 to you all *hugs*
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Far From the Madding Crowd has a little bit of innapropriate-ness for children so I'd say it wasn't quite suitable for a family film. I'd agree with the age rating here in GB, age 12 and over. There is no swearing but there were one or two parts the couples got a bit too close for the camera. Not too many times though, so it doesn't spoil the whole film. I would still recommend it for over 12s. You could watch it with your parents first and then decide on the bits to skip if you want to watch it with your younger brothers and sisters:) It really has a fantastic storyline, such a satisfying ending!
    Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES SQUEEP SHE'S BORN!!! And Charlotte Elizabeth Diana - ahhh, how princessy can you get? :-)
    Oooh, what a sweet movie this looks!! Thanks for the 'alert', haha. This shall be appointed to be on my royal list. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, how perfect!!! :D No doubt this will be a treat to watch! And I can't imagine not absolutely falling in love with Emily Watson's character after I did in Miss Potter. The sensible feminist who is, deep down, a girly romantic. :P Thanks for telling us about this, I wouldn't have heard of it otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.