Inkling Explorations - A funny story opening in Literature


What-ho!

You know Heidi's fun linky-up-thing? Well, it's time for that again. This month, it's SUCH a fun one. "A funny story opening in Literature." I knew immediately which one I would show you. Guess which author it's going to be. Yep. Wodehouse. You did guess him, didn't you? Well, you should've. Wodehouse is the king of comedy and that's all there is to say upon the matter.

So, if you want to paticipate in Heidi's Inkling Exploration clickez-vous ici, s'il vous plaƮt.


My snippet is...

From 'Jill the Reckless.' Lo and behold, people, a hilarious story opening. I dare you not to snicker.

Freddie Rooke gazed coldly at the breakfast-table. Through a gleaming eye-glass he inspected the revolting object which Barker, his faithful man, had placed on a plate before him.
"Barker!" His voice had a ring of pain.
"Sir?"
"What's this?"
"Poached egg, sir."
Freddie averted his eyes with a silent shudder.
"It looks just like an old aunt of mine," he said. "Remove it!"

*Goes away laughing*

7 comments:

  1. Hurrah for Wodehouse!

    My favorite opening of his is from the Code of the Woosters:

    'I reached a hand from under the blankets and rang the bell for Jeeves.
    "Good evening, Jeeves."
    "Good morning, sir."
    This surprised me.
    "Is it morning?"
    "Yes, sir."
    "Are you sure? It seems very dark outside."
    "There is a fog, sir. If you will recollect, we are now in autumn - season of mists and mellow fruitfulness."'

    I mean to say, what? WHAT? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahaha:D Thanks for sharing! And yes--Wodehouse is the KING of comedy. That is to say, he did have a certain aptitude for the humorous, sir. And I really like the pictures you used--especially the first one. It made me happy:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ALL Wodehouse's story openings. You just can't beat them.

    Like this one, for instance:

    "Laddie," said Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge, that much-enduring man, helping himself to my tobacco and slipping the pouch absently into his pocket, "listen to me, you son of Belial."

    "What?" I said, retrieving the pouch.

    "Do you want to make an enormous fortune?"

    "I do."

    "Then write my biography."

    Here's a good question: WHY is Wodehouse never included in any serious anthologies of English literature? He was one of the most brilliant, if not THE most brilliant, writers of the twentieth century, and yet not a yip about him from most literary scholars, if you get my drift. Not right, Jeeves. No, sir.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee! Okay, I failed.... I'm grinning hugely. SO funny! There's nothing like Wodehouse. :D

    (Tangent -- you've given me an idea. I haven't read Jill the Reckless yet, but the tone reminds me of Leave It to Psmith. Because, y'see, there's this hilarious fish reference.... I think maybe we're going to have to wrangle that one into a topic selection one of these days. :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny!! I shall have to look up this author. Ah, by the way, there is a book I think you should read (...speaking of comedy). It is called "The Prince of Graustark" by George Barr McCutcheon. It made me laugh out loud quite a few times...and the ending is completely unexpected. As long as you don't peek ahead of time, that is. ;) So I will look up Wodehouse, and YOU may look up McCutcheon, if you like. :D You'll not be sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chuckled! You got me :-D Good old Wodehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny! The king of comedy indeed! I think Wodehouse is one of the few that makes me laugh incontrollably each and every time.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.