The Tag - My Answers

*Naomi pops in a random Jane Austen picture*
Here are my Tag Answers!

If you missed the last post, here are the questions, again:
1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a Jane Austen fan do you consider yourself?
2. If "they" would make a new Jane Austen Movie, and you would be able to be cast in it, which Jane Austen character would you most like to play?
3. Is there any felicity in the world superior to a walk?
4. Who's your favourite Jane Austen 'villain'? (As in 'villain' meaning 'the bad guy.')
5. What/Who introduced you to Jane Austen?
6. Did you love/enjoy Jane Austen immediately, or has there been a time when you hated (um, prejudged) it?
7. Who, in your opinion, is the funniest Jane Austen character?
8. Do you quote Jane Austen randomly in public?
9. Are children allowed to eat cake on weddings?
10. What is your reaction when you hear that an aquaintance (e.g. A lady at Church) of yours loves Jane Austen?
11. Who writes better letters, Mr Darcy or Captain Wentworth? (If you forgot what the letters were, shame on you, instead tell me if you prefer Strawberries to Chocolate or not.)
12. Which Jane Austen heroine do you relate the least to?
13. What's your favourite Jane Austen house (from one of the movies)?
14. What's your favourite Jane Austen dress (from one of the movies)?
15. Can you turn off lit candles with your fingers?


1. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a Jane Austen fan do you consider yourself?
I haven't visited any of the locations, I've never attended 'the Jane Austen event' in Bath, and I don't know the novels word-by-word, so I don't feel like I am a GINORMOUS fan. Also, I haven't read  Lady Susan or her other small lesser-known works. And I've not seen all the movie adaptations. But I AM a very devoted Janeite, and I do know many quotes by heart, soooo. I think I'll go with a nine.

2. If "they" would make a new Jane Austen Movie, and you would be able to be cast in it, which Jane Austen character would you most like to play?
Ohh, fun question, Naomi.
I wouldn't feel capable to act the leading roles, at all, and I'd think I want someone really fun and jolly to act. Does it sound awful un-brick-y of me to say, 'Lydia Bennet'? DOES it? Because I just think she looks like such fun to act. She's allowed to giggle and snort and be embarrassing, and dance her head off.
I'd also love to act Mr Palmer. Or Mr Bennet. But then I don't think I could look like them, even with stage make-up. I'm not a male person, y'see.


3. Is there any felicity in the world superior to a walk?
Dash it, yes, there is.
I'm not really one for long walks. I'm a definite inside girl, I think reading books and writing blog posts and whatnot are felicities in the world superior to walks. I still like you, though, dear Marianne.

4. Who's your favourite Jane Austen 'villain'? (As in 'villain' meaning 'the bad guy.')
Although Frank Churchill is awfully mean, I can imagine him turning around and being nice the best. I can see Jane softing him up, kinda. I also have a tiny soft spot for Whilloughby. He's annoying, VERY annoying, but there's hope for him, too.


5. What/Who introduced you to Jane Austen?
My Grandma did, when I was about thirteen, maybe twelve. She bought me the six Jane Austen novels for my birthday (I remember opening the present and feeling a new world oooopen) and then started reading Sense and Sensibility the following summer. I was fascinated. I'd never tackled such a difficult book before, and I just loved it.
And then I saw Pride and Prejudice 1995 and - BAM - obsessed for life.

6. Did you love/enjoy Jane Austen immediately, or has there been a time when you hated (um, prejudged) it?
Loved it immediately.

7. Who, in your opinion, is the funniest Jane Austen character?
Mr Palmer, of course. Probably the main reason for that is because he's acted by the one and only Hugh Laurie. The Mr Palmer in the 2008 S&S version is dead boring (they didn't even try to outshine Hugh Laurie's performance. It would have been ridiculous to even TRY.)
I also LOVE the wit of my dear Mr Bennet. I LOVE MR BENNET. And Mrs Jennings makes me laugh, especially at the olive bit. And Mr Allan makes me grin, too.

I mean, seriously. THIS PICTURE. *waits for the world to collapse in laughter*
8. Do you quote Jane Austen randomly in public?
Well, sometimes. It depends who I'm talking with and what we're talking about, and all that. I definitely have used Jane-Austen-esque words in public before, when I was in an extra theatrical mood, yes.

9. Are children allowed to eat cake on weddings?
Yes, sink me, YES. And not only on weddings, hello. Cake is the best invention ever. Mr Woodhouse really is unfair on the children - I'm glad he's not my father. No cake, indeed. Phah. NO CAKE. Phhaha.


10. What is your reaction when you hear that an aquaintance (e.g. A lady at Church) of yours loves Jane Austen?
I get so happy. Like, squeal-y. And I go, 'Ohh! I love Jane Austen toooooo!' and I feel like giving them a hug, as if to say, 'I like you so much better now than I did two seconds ago, and aww, we both love Jane Austen.' Seriously though, when I know a person loves JA, I like them so much better. Well, I'm more interested in their opinion, anyway.
For example, after discovering that an elderly man who sings in the choir with me and my siblings loves and reads Jane Austen, he's like, become one of my favourite people.

11. Who writes better letters, Mr Darcy or Captain Wentworth? (If you forgot what the letters were, shame on you, instead tell me if you prefer Strawberries to Chocolate or not.)
They're both impeccable. Captain Wentworth's letter-writing is more effective, though. He has less to explain than poor Darcy. BOTH GOOD. :-) Oh, and I cannot choose between Strawberries and Chocolate. That's seriously the meanest question in the world; I'm glad I don't have to answer it.
;-P


12. Which Jane Austen heroine do you relate the least to?
Oooh, the least. The least! How original of a question is that? (Look at me, mocking myself.)
I relate the least to, um, Anne or Fanny. Of all the other heroines, I have a bit of in me. I have Elinor's practicality, and sense. I can be super carried away by emotions, like Marianne. I read too much, like Catherine. I just relate to Elizabeth Bennet so often. I'm also very much like Emma; perhaps dangerously so.
I have an introverted side to me, like Fanny, and I can get Anne in many parts of the story, but I don't relate to them as much as the other heroines.

13. What's your favourite Jane Austen house (from one of the movies)?
I love Longbourn, but Barton Cottage is seriously, just the cutest thing ever. I'm not one for big estates, although they definitely have such scope for the imagination and they are so thrilling.

14. What's your favourite Jane Austen dress (from one of the movies)?
*Naomi panics at the demand of choosing ONE dress*


I've gone with Emma (Romola Garai's Emma)'s pink ball gown. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

15. Can you turn off lit candles with your fingers?
I've done it. My brothers did it first. They said, 'Mr Darcy did it, so can we.' So they wetted their fingers and snuffed off a candle. "It doesn't hurt at ALLLL" they shouted. So I did it, and they're right. It doesn't hurt at all. It's quite fun. :-) And Mr Darcy did it, sooo.

VoilĂ !

Those were my answers.

*Scurries off to real life* :-P

*Ends with adorable picture of Catherine.* :-D

19 comments:

  1. Isn't that funny? You have Marianne near the top of your list of heroines-you-relate-to, and she's the one I relate to the LEAST. And Fanny is the one I relate to the most. I guess it just shows you people are really different :)

    Randomly, have you ever tried to figure out what your Meyers-Briggs personality type is? (Of course you don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I was just curious :) ) I'm an INFJ, which I think is why Fanny and I are so close--she's very likely an INFP or an INFJ. (Random fact: Lizzy Bennet is usually typed as an INFJ too, which is RIDICULOUS. She is absolutely not any kind of INFJ. She's a great person and I love her, but we DON'T share the same personality type.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the quiz several months ago. I was an ISFP. It might be slightly different if I do it again, but I think it's pretty accurate. :-)

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's fascinating! That's one of the types I don't know too much about, actually (I had to look up the description : ) ) It's a good type to be--very creative :) (And of course, you are definitely very creative!)

      Isn't it crazy how rare INFJs are? They're only 1% of the population. When I found that out I was like, "hey, now I know why I feel like the odd one out so much of the time." :) It's been quite helpful, actually, to learn more about my type because it helps me understand a lot about who I am and how I interact with people.

      Delete
  2. Emma's ball gown is my favorite too♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, are you trying to make me go bake a cake? Cake! Cake! Cake! And I'm going to have to settle for a chocolate-and-peppermint patty. :-(

    However, yes, Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer is one of THE funniest things EVER and your picture of him made me giggle. Repeatedly.

    Thanks for hosting this very fun blog party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry I'm making you hungry! :-D
      It's HILARIOUS. Just.... everything he does is hilarious. Don't ask me HOW he manages it.

      Delete
  4. I did guess a lot of these answers, I must say. ;-P

    Mr. Palmer is the funniest, no question about it. I love that face when he's holding the baby. *muffled laughter* Plus Mr. Palmer is really kind too -- I just love Mr. Palmer.

    Your last question is hilarious, by the way. I don't think I've ever tried it -- in Hornblower, Captain Sawyer snuffs out the candles without even wetting his fingers first, which looks scary to me, and in Daniel Deronda Mr. Grandcourt does it. Lots of people in movies do it, which is why it's surprising I haven't tried it yet. ;-)

    Loved reading your answers, darling!

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your answers were most amusing. :-)
    As a matter of fact, I considered saying Lydia Bennet in my answer, so I don't believe it's really that awful. ;-P
    Oh, yes, I forgot aobut Mr Palmer. I did laugh a lot because of him (in the '95 version OF COURSE) but I felt he didn't get hardly any screen time! :-(
    *looks at the collage of JA movies and sees '05 P&P and is shocked*
    Oh, I do love Barton Cottage too! Particularly in the '08 one. :-)
    Okay, now I'm eager to try it. As long as I touch the bottom of the wick and don't somehow manage to touch the top of the flame. :-P
    Catherine is so pretty. :-D
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Palmer is SO funny and you're right... it's mostly due to Hugh Laurie because.... HUGH LAURIE!!!!
    It would be fun to play Lydia.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugh Laurie is hilarious. The End.

    Oh, and no, I don't think it's un-brick-y to play Lydia Bennet -- I mean to say, someone has to play her right? Even though she's not the *perfect* role model, *cough cough*. If you could do a Good Job, that's all that should matter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good answers, Naomi! (And good questions, too! heehee) I really liked your answer to the walking question. "Dash it, yes, there is." Haha! Yes, walking is all very well, but I'm afraid "I would infinitely prefer a book"...or writing blog posts, or whatever! Walking is definitely not one of my top priorities--unfortunately, because I could probably really use the exercise. :)

    The story of you and your brothers turning off lit candles! Love that! :)

    Excellent post, Naomi!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha! Mr. Palmer is a most comical (though dreadfully stoic) character. His dry wit is hilarious! Mr. Bennet is similar, but something about the gruff, standoffish aura Mr. Palmer gives off makes him a bit more over the top amusing. :) I have played guy parts in plays before (including playing Brutus in Julius Caesar, and my aunt didn't know it was me at first! :) ). It can be rather fun.
    "BAM - obsessed for life." Yes. Oh yes. :)
    I guess I should attempt the tag now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet Lydia Bennet would be so much fun to play - one of the few roles where you can go completely over the top!
    Mr Palmer is hilarious - especially because it's Hugh Laurie.
    I know how you felt - I'm still panicking over the task to choose only one dress! Good choice though. Love Emma's ball gown!
    If only "Mr Darcy did it" was a justifiable argument (Of course I can stand in the corner and be unsociable - Mr Darcy did it, so can I)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had fun reading your answers Naomi and I did my own answer post today! Oh, and by the way, Lady Susan is not worth reading in my own humble opinion. Stay with Austen's more popular books. There is after all a reason they are better known. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I'm finally getting around to commenting!

    Heh heh, I too have a soft spot for Willoughby....but shh, I shouldn't be saying this, it will be in my post.

    That Jane Austen hair quote! haha! I love it. I've never heard it before. Strange.

    The first time we watched S&S after watching Jeeves and Wooster, I was like "it's HIM!!!" I didn't recognize him as Mr. Palmer when we watched J&W. Shameful, I know.

    Naomi, you can't panic at YOUR OWN question. Goodness gracious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Naomi, you can't panic at YOUR OWN question. Goodness gracious. ;)"

      HAHA. That made me laugh. :-D

      Delete
  13. Naomi! I wanted you to know I followed your whole event and smiles & smiled! I just didn't have time to participate. I did do the opening tag. No need to comment of you're busy. Just saying. :) Also, I agree with you that Mansfield Park is excellent and underrated. I read your review. xox

    We are in agreement on Mr. Palmer. Ha! Playing Lydia would be quite fun! I'd never thought about it! It's true: she does what she pleases. No ladylike politeness for her!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.