Monday, 15 February 2016

Inkling Exploriations / February



It's time for the February Edition of Heidi's always-lovely Inkling Explorations Series. Hop over to this post here if you'd like to join or something. (Goodness, the Internet is amazing. I can just link random stuff all over the place.) Anyway, so for February, we have to find, in a book or a movie, "A Scene Involving a Disguise." First, because duh, I thought about all the epic disguise scenes in 'The Scarlet Pimpernel.' But, because I suddenly remembered something else, I was nice enough to leave those for some rabid fan.

I remembered that epic (epic in MY eyes) disguise scene in Jubilee Trail! I have just finished 'Jubilee Trail' (my first of many reads) and OH MY STARS it is amazing. It's just... BLAHH AMAZING. You must read it. Gwen Bristow is a top-notch author, and I'm having major major writing-style envy.

(Tell me to stop rambling.)

So here's the disguise scene. Basically, Florinda has been (wrongly) accused of murder and is trying to escape. But seeing as she's an actress and everyone would recognise her, a clever disguise has to be thought of...

They were silent. The Garnet gave a sudden gasp. She had an idea.
"I know!" she cried. "Oh, I know! Florinda, will you do exactly what I say?"
"Why yes, darling!" Florinda exclaimed. "What?"
"All right, listen to me. If you'll keep your mouth shut not not talk about damn and hell and bottles of gin --"
"Oh dear. I'll keep my talk nice, really I will. What else?"
"There's just one sort of woman," said Garnet, "who can go about with her face covered, in clothes that hide her figure, and have everybody step aside respectfully to let her pass."
"What sort, for heaven's sake?" Oliver demanded.
"A widow," said Garnet. "A newly made widow, in a heavy black veil that comes down to her knees."
"You're right," Oliver exclaimed with admiration.
"You're a genius," said Florinda. "Can we get the costume?"
"Oh yes. That's one dress you can always be sure of finding in any town. Widows are being made every day, some of them most unexpectedly. There's always a shop with funeral weeds made up. That's something I know about," she insisted.
Florinda was delighted. After a little discussion, Oliver began to outline a plan. By this time Oliver was enjoying himself very much. He liked intrigue.

You really should read the book. ;-)

23 comments:

  1. I KNOW I SHOULD AND I SHALL. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww . . . that sounds like a cool book!! I went and looked at the preview on Goodreads. It seems a little like Henty's style of writing? Anyway, it looks interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G.A. Henty wrote historical fiction adventure books for boys. They're rather good; the style of CHARACTERS does tend to get a little repetitive over the books, especially the female characters, and the language is old-fashioned. But they're pretty cool to read. My favorite would definitely be No Surrender! A Tale Of The Rising In La Vendee.

      Anyway :) I just thought the writing style was similar.

      Delete
    2. I think she means G. A. Henty the late 19th century British author.

      Delete
    3. Oh thanks for explaining, girls. :-) I'd never hear of her/him. :-) I can assure you though, Rosie, that Gwen Bristow's characters are all different. :-D

      Delete
    4. Oh, I can see that!! It was just the style of word-choice that made me think "Henty." I'm sure she's a much better author :D

      Delete
  3. Hm... I might have to look into that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your question to someone else's comment, yes people without a Goodreads login can read your review through the link you shared. :)

      Delete
  4. I REALLY must read this now. Are you going to do a review?

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I review-ed it on Goodreads here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1351369669?type=review#rating_67001898

      Can you read it? (Because I'm not sure if non-Goodreads-members can. :-/)

      Delete
    2. I'm a non-member and I could view it :D Great job by the way!!

      Delete
  5. "...major writing-style envy." Oh, I feel for you. I'm currently reading David Copperfield and having much the same reaction. It just isn't fair how good of an author Dickens is!! ;)

    I've never heard of 'Jubilee Trail.' Is it a new book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Jubilee Trail was written back in the 50's, I think. It should be more famous. :-)

      Delete
  6. Oooh, wow -- I've never heard of this and how captivating!! (And you're right, m'dear, this was an absolutely fantastic selection. ;D) Sadly it doesn't look like our library has it, but I can get it on inter-library loan, so onto the list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I hope you get to read it soon! :-)

      Delete
  7. That is a very smart idea. A widow's costume can disguise almost ANYBODY. ;-)

    Sounds like a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay. I am slow on the uptake. I just noticed the smoke coming out of the chimney in the picture. :) Am I the only one who doesn't notice these things?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely putting this on my list. ;)

    AND THAT HOUSE GIF!! It's so cuuuute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read this book!!! I mean, just the title ALONE...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a rather amusing book :-)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.