A Fun Tag + What I've been up to


(Iconic Audrey Hepburn Alert.)

Phoebe from "The Storybook Journal" tagged me with the liebster tag - In Which I answer eleven questions. Thank you so much, Phoebe! (You peeps should check out her blog - not only are her posts great fun to read, but her headers are also super pretty. And all her randomly nice pictures... um yes. Love them.)

1. Do you usually cry over the deaths or misfortunes of fictional characters in books and movies? Or are you "not a crier"?
I am MOST SURELY a crier. Hopelessly emotional creature, and all that. I cried in 80% of all the Call the Midwife episodes I've seen; I've shed many tears over Downton Abbey, and once I even bawled over Sense and Sensibility, and that's not even that of an emotional story, right? (I have to say; I wasn't feeling well then, and I'm always twice as teary when ill.) Books make me weep as well; mainly Rilla of Ingleside, but also The Book Thief and Treasures of the Snow and Eve's Daughters... to name a few.

2. Is there a popular TV show or a movie that you just CAN'T bring yourself to like, in spite of everyone's good opinions of it?
I read The Fault in our Stars and didn't enjoy it; but my mind is blank when it comes to movies. (Oh, Home Alone is a popular movie and I don't see no charm in that one at all.) (No, don't look at me like that, Emma.)

3. Do you have a garden? If so, what sort of things do you grow in it? Is it a vegetable or flower garden? 
This question made me smile because in British English the word garden just means... THE GARDEN. You know, the bit outside that belongs to you. (The lawn - the yard -Whatever.) But to answer your question - no, we don't have a vetgetable patch. :-) We used to, back at the other house, and we grew cucumbers and courgettes and pumpkins. My sister planted some fruit bushes in the garden we have now (as in, the yard we have now), but there aren't very many. We have flowers throughout the garden, but not all in one particular place. (And they were all there when we moved. All credit to previous owners.)


4. With the approach of oncoming Winter, do you find yourself excited for the change of season, or is your mindset closer to: " *sigh* Oh boy. Here it comes. Winter. AGAIN."?
Right now I have a dreadful cold, so I am reminded of the cons of Winter. HOWEVER - having said that, I LOVE WINTER. The illnesses are dreadful, but m'gosh it's so cosy and lovely and guys CHRISTMAS.

5. What is the last book you read? How would you rate it out of five stars?
*Goes to Goodreads to see* The last book I read was The Girl in the Blue Coat and I rated it four out of five stars. It was very good.

6. Do you collect anything? How many/much do you own?
I collect many things, but mainly... *drumroll*... books. Give me all zee books, let me buy all zee books... it makes me happy when I run out of book space. I love books so much and I can never have enough of them. I haven't the foggiest idea how much I own though - I should count one day, but please not now. Don't feel up to the counting. :-P (If I were to make a wild guess though... maybeeeeee 250? I haven't a clue. I'm terrible (as in REALLY BAD) at guessing numbers.)

7. If you could invite one (and ONLY ONE) fictional character to dinner, who would it be?
Cruel question. :-P There are SO MANY LOVELY ONES!!! Right now, I really feel like hanging out with a kind, slightly batty, cheerful soul - so maybe Trixie from Call the Midwife? (However lets be real, I'd choose Downton's Dowager Countess.)


8. What book is nearest to you at this very moment?
As in, nearest to my HEART? :-P (The Bible.) Or as in nearest to me, physically? (A book called, 'The Boy on the Wooden Box' which I haven't started yet but looks like it might break my heart.)

9. Since Halloween is coming up soon, do you usually participate in the celebrations? If so, what did you dress up as last year?
No, I've never participated in it. Where I live (Belgium) Halloween is very witch-y and ghost-y and horror-movie-alert-y... and that's all there is to it here, really, so we've always stayed away from that holiday. :-P I love how in America people just dress up and not everyone attaches it with witches and spiders and ghosts. 

10. How would you describe your fashion style?
Girlish, with attempts at looking professional. I like collars and flowery tops and high waists and rings and necklaces - that's the girly side. I like wearing black (no not in the depressive way) - because it looks so Professional. I also love my jeans to bits... seriously, comfort is important sometimes. :-)

11. Have you ever met a famous person? Who was it?
I WIIIISH. It's so annoying, because I KNOW so many people who've met famous people and it leaves me there, green with envy. (Like, my Granddad met C.S.Lewis when he was studying in Oxford. And I know someone who's literally had a private conversation with The Queen and Prince Philip at a Garden Party. Like shut up guys.
I have one claim to fame however - I used to attend the same musical school as the future Queen of Belgium. I saw her walkin' around there, once in a while. *flicks hair*


Thanks for the great questions, Phoebe! Now, here, just because, is a list of stuff I've been up to:

- I had a voice lesson! My first one of, hopefully, many more. I hope that my voice improves and that I become more confident in myself when I sing. I can be very judgemental of myself. (Naomi should stop sometimes.)
- I have a cold! YAYSIES! (NOT REALLY.) Yesterday I felt really bad... just waited for me to feel better really. I still have a cold today *blows nose* but at least I don't have a headache the size of the Atlantic and I feel inwardly cheerful despite it.
- Yesterday I watched Broadway behind-the-scenes newsies videos. (AGAIN.) I can't help it, I just want to be a newsie. (Also, Tommy Bracco pep-talk anyone? And the poor guyyys head is spinning.) (Inside jokes with other fansies there.)
- My room is In The Process Of Being Painted!!!!!! (Finally.) One half is pink, the other half is white. It's going to be beyaddafall. A huuuge shout-out to my darling mother for doing 90% of the painting... she's literally the best person ever. (Painting is fun for the first five minutes but otherwise give me something else to do.)
- Call the Midwife is a gem. Sister Evangelina is my fave at the moment. "It's a baby, not a lubricated penguin."
- Eating ice cream, just cuz.
- It's funny, because life before my cold (which started yesterday) seems ages ago... so my mind is blank, ha. (Well, I've been reading, of course. And writing Downton Abbey blog posts. And buying paint, and trying not to be so frustrated with lack of wifi  in the house. #Patiencelessons.)
- Oh, last Sunday I chatted with Emma for an hour and that was really lovely. She's a great person.

That's all for now, folks dearest. Have a great day. Here's some things you can do: 1. Send a letter to a random address. 2. Sing Newsies songs. 3. Wave at an old man. 4. Eat fruit. 5. Attempt a really cool, Pinteresty hairstyle and don't despair when you fail. (Only some girls (like THIS ONE) have the talent.) 6. Read Susannah Hope's beautiful love story (Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3.) 7. Watch Mind the Gap episodes. 8. Drink tea. 9. Decide for yourself what you want to do. But don't waste time. 10. Remember the following:


(Seriously; only make a fuss when it's supposed to be made a fuss of. SO SO SO many things are just so not important. Amen.)

29 comments:

  1. First off, I love your label 'Hopefully wise'. Haha. ;)

    I was so happy to see this. (Preeety sure I saw it about 10 minutes after you posted... I've had dinner since then.) I felt like a post from you.

    Yup, yup -with you there about Home Alone!

    Really?! That's funny. :D We call our 'garden' our yard. (What an ugly name, when I come to think of it!) We only use 'lawn' when we saw we're going to 'mow the lawn'. Well, that's what MY family says, anyway. ;P
    (Also, I had to look up what courgettes where! Haha! They're zucchinis!)

    As soon as all you Northern-hemisphere people start talking about December and Christmas and winter, I feel rather... um... confused for a moment. ;)

    Wow - like, you OWN 250 books yourself, or is that including your family?! O_O (I would own... maybe 5, myself, but we just buy them 'for the family' kind of thing. Which means Daddy buys them. :P)
    (And YAAASSS! I'm SUPER bad at guessing numbers of anything. Ugggh. Sometimes it's so EMBARRASING.)

    I would TOTALLY invite Anne Shirley. :D

    Halloween is like that in Australia too... weird and witch-y and black. :P (And frankly, we just shrug it off as "American".)

    I actually use to hate jeans, and consider them the epitome of uncomfortable. That's lessened a little, but they're certainly not my comfort clothes. ;)

    WOOOW. You know a person who had a personal conversation with the Queen?! :O #respect I have NOTHING to compare with THAT. My claim to fame is so pathetic, haha. :P (Mind you, I've only lived 15 years. There's a good chance I'll meet SOMEONE at SOME point in my life!)

    YAYAYAYAY NOW YOU CAN TEACH ME HOW TO SING!!! XD Hahaha.

    OH NO YOU GOT IT. And I GAVE it to you. *sniffles* :( (Sorry 'bout that dear. Obviously I'd better not breathe so heavily on the keyboard next time I have a cold. ;))

    YOU TOO?!!!!! That's EXACTLY what I did. :D (Oh wait, maybe I already told you that...) Aren't Newsies behind the scenes the BESTEST?!! (And I got the inside joke! *does a happy dance*) I KNOOOWWW. Me TOO. 'Tis a pity they're all boys. :( (Mind you, it would just be plain WEIRD if there were girls.) Besides, I'm not such a great gymnast, myself... What are your favourite behind the scenes videos (in case I've missed some amazing ones)? :D My favourites are the "Watch What Happens" lip sync, and Corey Cott's vlog series (especially the pumpkin head interview and the 'exposing secrets' episode) so far. :D

    I'll have to break this into two comments. Been awhile since I did that. :P
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you agree with me on Home Alone. :-)
      ZUCCHINIS IS SO WEIRD. Like, I mean really??
      I don't know the people who met the Queen THAT well, so I suppose it doesn't really count, but I knew their daughter quite well several years ago. :-) (SO YES IT COUNTS.)
      The Watch What Happens lip sync is GREAT and CC vlogs are lovely too. One of my favourites is the 'original cast recording' and the one where everyone warms up and everything. I also love the one where they arrive at the theatre. :-)

      Delete
  2. Coincidentally, I listened to the Broadway CD of Newsies (that I own) while making cupcakes this afternoon. I LOVE THAT CD. <3 I ate an apple...? I TRIED to do my hair in a becoming half-up-half-down way, but the silly thing wouldn't do ANYTHING I wanted it to do, so I wore a half-falling out side on ponytail for the day. :P (I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.) OH MY. THAT LOVE STORY LOOKS DELICIOUS. I MUST READ IT. I watched Mind the Gap yesterday! Whoop whoop! I definitely decided what I wanted to do. I spent a long time singing and finding backing music and help my siblings sing their songs for hours this afternoon. (I have a crazy mind. I don't where I get ideas... but anyway, aside from my writing up a play where I will easily incorporate a few songs (my little brother with sing "You've Got a Friend In Me" and I'll sing "Taylor the Latte Boy", so far) I thought of something besides that. My little sister and I are going to have our very own "Broadway Princess Party" (just like Laura Osnes hosts hers :D) and we're practising! My sister will sing Rapunzel's "When Will My Life Begin", Elsa's "Let It Go" and Cinderella's "A Dream is a Wish", and I'll sing Esmerelda's "God Help the Outcasts", Pocahontas's "Just Around the Riverbend" and Belle's "Home". So we were practising all of them and I was finding backing music. It's gonna be so FUN, and I'm hoping to make up costumes as well. :D Squeep! Also, just so you know, those aren't necessarily our favourite princesses... we just liked the songs. ;D)

    Oh, well that last point is something to chew on for the... night. :P

    ~Miss Meg

    P.S. I was on Corey Cott's Instagram the other day (*ahem*) and he posted a tweet he wrote. It was so hilarious. It said:
    "Four years ago today, I made my Broadway debut as Jack Kelly. I sang the Sante Fe key change four bars early and it was glorious."
    I basically read it and went "DAY MADE."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, all the nice songs! :-)
      And Corey Cott is cool. <3

      Delete
  3. Just... This was lovely. Just beautiful. I don't even know which little things to comment on. *scrolls back through post*
    What scene(s) do you cry in in Sense and Sensibility? ...I'm guessing the ending because even I tear up at Elinor&Edward's embrace...(I'm not a crier. :)
    BOOKS!!!!!
    "Decide for yourself what you want to do. But don't waste time." *Ahem* So I have a bad habit if wasting time. It's called Summer. It's not good. I should be writing blog posts or something...
    Anyway, this was delicuoulsy lovely to read, it really was. Thank you. I needed something like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Well, I was referring to the other S&S version; but yes, I DEFINITELY do cry during the 08 S&S as well. (WHEN E&E ARE ENGAGED AND THEY HUG AHHHH.) In the other S&S95 version Marianne's illness is emotional too.
      Me too... WASTING TIME IS SO EASY. >:-(

      Delete
  4. Naomi:
    My goodness, *sniff* thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy my blog! I just love pretty things... I MUST have them, so I try to bring that out in my blog. Thanks for participating in the tag! I love your answers! :D
    -Amaris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! Me too - pretty pictures are unresistable. :-) Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this!!
    You have a funny way of writing!
    This really inspired me!

    Sugarcandycandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made my day. Thanks!!! :-)

      Delete
  6. What a fun post! I really hope your cold vanishes soon :)

    CALL THE MIDWIIIIIIIIIFE <3 <3 (Oh my word, that episode you quoted…)

    Loved your conclusion :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that EPISODE. JUST WAHHHH WHAT. (Oh and the other day we saw the Christmas special where Shelagh and Dr Turner get married... AND IT WAS SO GOOD. OMGGGG.)

      Delete
  7. I love tag-posts!!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!! :-)

    WINTER YES PLEASE. I just drove into campus this morning to do some errands, with Rosie, and it was soooooooooooooooooooo hot and humid, it was terrible. I wish cold weather would hurry up and get here :-)

    Halloween is amazing and fantastic in New England (where I come from); but here in the South it's kind of lame, actually. Sad. :-(

    What have I been up to? Well . . . let's see . . .

    I just passed 30000 words on my novel!! AND I've gotten to the Super Exciting Part (read: I introduced the heroine to the hero ;-) ) and so I've been having SO MUCH FUN the last few chapters, imagining and writing everything down. This is going to be a seriously EPIC slow-burn romance, y'all. Just you wait. ;-)

    I just watched "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (the Disney version), and it's quickly become my favorite Disney movie ever. I just love it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH. It's better than "Frozen" and "Tangled," even. Awesome movie.

    Aannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd . . . for the first time in my life, I read a CFR book and loved it, instead of hated it ;-) "The Centurion's Wife." Great stuff, ladies. You should all check it out. (I mean, honestly, if *I* liked it, it has to be pretty darn good, right? ;-) )

    TOMMY BRACCO PEP TALKS YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS. My favorite Newsie in the history of ever. I'm sad I didn't get to see him live :-(

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh--wait--I also just got a brand-new, beautiful copy of "The Book Thief"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO FINISH IT FINALLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOMMY BRACCO IS MY FAVOURITE NEWSIE TOOOOOOOO. GIRL HE IS SO COOL. I LOVE HIM.

      Delete
  8. Get well soon dearie!!! Oh oh oh OHMY your Grandfather MET C.S.Lewis?! ..


















    calm down Evie












    That is simply AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee. :-) Well, he didn't actually have a long conversation with him and all that. See, my granddad studied at Oxford and C.S.Lewis came there to do speeches and all that. But this is the cool bit: One night my Granddad was ill - and one of the chaps who slept in his dorm/room went to see if anyone had a hot water bottle to lend him - and C.S.Lewis did! So my Granddad slept with C.S.Lewis' hot water bottle! :-)

      Delete
  9. I will be back.. French Grammar calls you see

    ReplyDelete
  10. NAOMI! I LOVE your the new blog-look!! Absolutely LOVE IT! *calm down, me!* I'm freaking out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, yay Christmas!! I'm loving summer, but I'm greatly anticipating fall. And then....winter! Christmas! It makes me happy to think we're halfway there. :D

    You know someone who talked to the Queen and Prince Philip!?!

    A voice lesson! That's so exciting! I'm sure you sing wonderfully. :) Don't be too hard on yourself!

    Oh, I'm sorry about the cold. -hands you a tissue- Are you better now?

    I loooooove behind the scenes Newsies videos. And yes, the poor guys head is (always) spinning! Wait, what's the Tommy Bracco joke, though?

    Yay, new paint is so exciting!

    Your list of things to do is perfect. Yes, Amen. Some things are NOT important. I just saved that picture. Thank you, Naomi for reminding me of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's not QUITE time to think about Christmas again, though!
      Yes, the pastor who used to be at our Church and his wife and two daughters. :-) I don't know them that well, but I knew their youngest daughter quite well.
      The cold is still here, so I accept the tissue! It's almost gone though.
      Well, in the Newsies videos, Tommy Bracco (MY FAVE) always does little speeches and he makes them very epic and it's just funny. :-)
      I know, some things just AREN'T. We should focus on God and things that actually ARE!!

      Delete
    2. Haha, I know. But still. :)
      Aww, sorry. I hope your cold is all gone, now! I actually may be coming down with one myself. It's better today, though, so hopefully it won't last. :)
      oh, I see!! I need to watch more videos with him in them.
      Exactly. <3

      Delete
  12. So I just read Susanna's love story and OH MY MY. IT'S SO PERFECT AND ADORABLE. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT. I always go back to it to reread it. (I want to BE her right now. :-P) (Also, she writes so wellll.)

      Delete
    2. :D YES. Her writing style is so perfect.

      Delete
  13. and your background and header is simply GORGEOUS! It reminds me I need to get cracking on my posts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why did it take me so long to get here and comment. I don't know. I don't really understand my life right now. :-P

    But Naomi, this post made me happy. :-) It's funny, I was just singing Newsies songs yesterday for the first time in awhile, and then I read this. Oh, and I read Susannah Hope's love story (so beautiful) and I've been trying not to waste my time. I hope your cold's gone and you're loving your new musty pink room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems ages since I've recieved a comment from you, love!!! :-) I'm glad you liked Susannah's love story and my cold is ALMOST GONE BUT NOT YET and yes, I'm enjoying zee pink. :-P

      Delete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.