Emma Week Tag Answers!

Heidi's Emma Week has officially started, and here are my answers to her clever and fun Emma-tag! In addition, I've made a game for this week, so don't forget to check it out and try to play!

1. Have you ever read Emma?
Yes, I have - only once properly, although I'm definitely planning to read it again, once I have time. :) I love it - Emma is a lovely heroine - a little annoying at some times, some people may think, but I think she's delightful, nonsensical and very fun. :) And Mr Knightley is adorable. They are such a cute couple!
2. If so, is that how you first made her acquaintance? (If not, feel free to elaborate!)
Yes, it is. I'm very proud to say that it is. :-) I read the book first, but as a rather young girl, and didn't understand much of it and didn't get far. Because, after all, Jane Austen is not exactly famous for her easy reads. So then we borrowed the Kate Beckinsale version from some friends and watched it. Na, I didn't really enjoy it.
BUT. That opinion was lost forever once I saw the Romola Garai version! FOR EVER. Emma 2009 is now officially my second favourite movie (after P&P95). Then I reread the book properly and loved it! :-)
3. Do you have a favourite film adaptation? 
Yes, Yes, Yes. The 2009 version forever! It's absolutely magnificent - Romola Garai makes such a sweet, nonsensical Emma and Johnny Lee Miller's performance of Mr Knightley is - Oh, beyond perfection! *Naomi swoons*
4. Favourite dress(es) from that film?
Heehee, where to start! Romola Garai has one of my favourite Period Drama wardrobes ever, and that says a vast deal indeed. All her dresses have such a youthful, sweet, simple, yet special and almost-elaborate feeling. She has some lovely flowery prints!
Okay, I've finally taken my decision. This is my favourite Emma dress:
Isn't it swoony?
5. Share a line you love from either the book or movie/s—several if you like!
Mr Knightley's, 'If I loved you less I might be able to talk about it more, ' is definitely one of my favourites. I also love the, 'Nonsensical girl!' quote, of course. Oh, and 'Ship-court!' heehee. Can you hear I love this book and the 2009 movie?
6. Is Emma one of your favourite heroines? Why or why not?
I know she annoys many people, but not me. Perhaps I'd think her a little over-the-top if I met her in real life (when she's at that nonsensical stage in the beginning of the book), but seriously, as a heroine she definitely one of favourites. She and I are more similar than you'd imagine. No, I don't play match maker. Um, not out loud, anyway.
7. What is one of Emma’s strengths (good qualities)?
Her wit/charm. And also her kind heart and her willingness to help. That wasn't just one. Oops.
8. Describe in one (or two…or three) sentences, why Mr. Knightley is so wonderful.
"Or two... or three"... Hahaa. Heidi, I comprehend your feelings. Thank goodness I'm good at making my sentences long! Mr Knightley is wonderful because - Ah, because he IS. He's so good and gentle and kind and witty AND handsome. What else do we girls want? I've actually made a post about why I love (Johnny Lee Miller's) Mr Knightley so much - stay tuned for some innocent fangirling. :-)
9. Why do you think Mr. Knightley and Emma are so well suited to each other?
Opposites attract. Well, Mr Knightley and Emma aren't that strikingly different, but still, they don't have that many similarities. While Emma is bouncy (a little too), funny and energetic, Mr Knightley has the practical, wise side that Emma needs. They have always been childhood friends, so they know each others strengths and weaknesses. Eck, their relationship is just wayyy too cute. I cannot take it in. I cannot.
10. Would you rather spend a week in Highbury with the Westons—on Abbey-Mill Farm with the Martins—or in London with the John Knightleys?
Good question. The John Knightleys. Because Mr Knightley pays them visits now and then, and because they have noisy children. I like that. :-)
Well, thanks Heidi for the fun tag! Do be sure to join the fun, friends!

6 comments:

  1. Loooove your answers, Naomi dear!! And oohh, I'm so excited and looking forward to your special post! ;) Mr. Knightley...Mr. Knightley is...but no, you know...I can't... :)

    And her ball dress!! I don't quite understand it, but somehow I think they layered multiple sheers into one to create the deep shimmery effect. Gorgeous!

    And your favorite lines... Oh, my. I know in mine I'm going to be so strongly tempted to just quote every. single. one of Mr. you-know-who's--but that would hardly be fair. ;) I shall hence have to confine myself to a fixed number. :) But seriously, the ones you chose...!!! "If I loved you less..." "Nonsensical girl..." Ooooohhhh--hem! I shall have to sign off here before I start exhibiting some sort of squealing dancing jig in my dad's office here at 8 am. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really really need to finish watching the 2009! I've only seen the first episode, and then Real Life intervened and... I will get to it one day soon. I will!

    I love your answers -- we're almost polar opposites on our views on Emma as a character, so I enjoyed getting some new thoughts about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I enjoyed this immensely, Naomi. :-)

    Some of our answers were quite similar-- I LOVE ho you've described Emma and Knightley's relationship. They're just too cute together. :-)

    I don't like Emma as much as you do-- sometimes I find her a bit TOO nonsensical, but I still like her. Maybe because I can see so much of myself in her, and yet we're so different. Am I being confusing? Yes. I'll stop.

    Ha, we DID use the same picture! ;-P I look forward to reading your post about Jonny Lee Miller-- *ahem* Mr. Knightley.

    Lovely, dear!

    ~Violet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I greatly enjoyed reading this post Naomi! The '09 is not exactly my favorite version, but I loved how you wrote about it. :) And her ball dress is perfectly lovely, it looks so dreamy and fairy-tale like that it could almost be a regency Cinderellas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi,
    I'm glad you liked my answers. Yes, the Mr Knightley post will be up soon... I think you'll like it. :-)
    Yes, I know that pink ball dress has a lovely shimmery effect - In the 'making of Emma 2009' they explain how they made that effect - just as you said, with lots of thin layers.

    Hamlette,
    Thanks for the comment! Oh yes! You must watch the 2009 version urgently! Because it's the best ever and has some REALLY good actors, including Michael Gambon and Romola Garai. :-)

    Emma,
    Yes dearling, you are being confusing. You say you are similar to Emma but then you aren't. Um, WHAT? Heehee. I like it when you are confusing. :-)
    Oh, so the fact that we used the same picture was a coincidence. Okay, very possible. We are bosom friends. :-)

    Eowyn,
    Thanks for the comment and the follow. :) Yes, that pink ball gown is exquisite. And yes, I love the 2009 version - The Gwenyth Palrow version isn't that bad, though! :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I feel like we could be friends. Because we both are *obviously* married to Jonny Lee Miller's Knightley, and we both like the swoony pink dress. :-D How else could a person describe such a beautiful thing?

    I don't understand how anybody could be okay with the Beckinsdale Knightley, if they have seen the RDJ Sherlock Holmes. I think that actor does better playing dark brooding characters than pleasantly snarky gentlemen.

    Oh, and I am anxiously awaiting your JLM fangirl post.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.