Sink me, weaknesses and others

In our family we have the tendancy to spot out what people's as-we-call-it "words" are. Haven't you noticed that quite a few people have a word or a phrase they keep on saying? Many teenagers nowadays say 'like' far too much, but there are some people who have their own unique phrase they keep on accidentally repeating. Even people in the blogging world have their "words", I've observed. But I shan't go into that now. :) I also like giving my characters in my stories a particular word or phrase they keep on repeating. I love it when my readers go 'oh, their she/he goes again!'
 
Now I shall have a see at the Period Drama people, and their 'words'.
 
Sink Me!
 
Although I haven't seen the Scarlet Pimpernel, I know enough to know that this charming, sophisticated man keeps on saying, 'Sink mehhhhh'. Not 'Sink me', but 'Sink mehhhh.' He's got a charming accent, this fella has.
 
 
My ONE weakness
 
Dorcas Lane with her many weaknesses! How many times do we hear her drooling on about her weaknesses? Food is my one weakness, baths are my one weakness, picnics are my one weakness, velvet is my one weakness... the list goes on and on!
 
 
Beaux
 
I'm sure the ones of you who've watched Sense and Sensibility 2008 have noticed that Anne Steel has a 'word'. Indeed! You've all noticed how she keeps on going on about 'beaux.'
 
 
My poor nerves
 
I've got to add Mrs Bennet with those unending nerves! Nerves this, nerves that. 'Oh, Mr Bennet! You do not know what I suffer! Have you no compassion upon my POOR nerves?' No, I don't have that much compassion, but I must admit I think it's very funny the way she keeps on screeching about those nerves of hers. 'But then I never complain.'
 
 
Mr E.
 
Mrs Elton in 'Emma' (especially the Mrs Elton in the Kate Beckinsale version, that's why I've put a picture of that one) calls her husband Mr E, and says it a lot!
 
 
Monstrous
 
Especially in the book, Sir John Middleton and his merry mother, Mrs Jennings, very often use the word monstrous to describe things. Oh, good things. For example, they describe Marianne and Elinor as 'monstrous pretty girls.'
 
 
What-ho!
 
Ha! I love the way Wooster keeps on saying What-ho instead of hello or Good-morning! Watching the show makes you want to do exactly the same, I tell you. At home we often go around saying what-ho, just because it's such fun to say. Jeeves also has a 'word', which is 'sir', but that hardly counts as one, don't you think?
 
 
Fiddlesticks
 
In the film, Marilla Cuthbert doesn't say 'Fiddlesticks' half as much as she does in the book! The first time she says it is when Anne complains that Cordelia is a far more romantic name than Anne. "Romantic Fiddlesticks!"
 
 
Everything's going to be all right
 
In our family we always joke about the vast amount of times Charles Ingalls, or Pa, says 'Everything's going to be all right,' or 'everything's going to be just fine.' He always says it to comfort one of his daughters or Caroline when they are in the midst of problems. He always says it in the TV shows! I wonder if you've noticed.
 
 
Septimus...
Yes, and Lady Ludlow with her Septimus this, Septimus that.
 
 
I'm sure I could think of more, but now that's all I can think of. Are their any others which come to mind if you think about Period Drama people and their 'words' (or phrases)? Comment and tell me!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. So interesting! I did not realise that's where What Ho came from.. I just started saying it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a blog post! I greatly enjoyed it!

    ~Kristalyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm...Mr. Collins and his "Lady Catherine de Bourgh" over and over!!"
    Also, I was wondering if you'd be willing for me to interview you about your novella and post it on my blog? I'll comment with the questions and you can reply the same way:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this counts, but Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind has two words, "Fiddle-dee-dee" and "Great balls of fire!"

    P.S. Can anyone read Mrs. Bennet's lines without hearing that shrill, squawky voice in their head? Because I sure can't! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Naomi!
    I just watched 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' last night, after reading the book a couple of weeks ago, and now "Sink me" is one of my favourite things to say!
    Normally though, I like to say "or I shall be very... Put Out" from 'The Princes Bride'. Prince Humperdink says it when he is trying to find Buttercup. I use it when in scenarios when I SHOULD feel worse than 'put out', but am almost putting on a brave face by making my feelings seem more trivial than they are. Although, normally I use it when the matter is only trivial to begin with. E.g. "And if I can't have bacon on toast for breakfast, I shall be very Put Out." (That was a bad example!)
    Also, I like saying "Fiddle dee dee!" from 'Gone With the Wind"!
    Sorry for the long comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riiiight... comment answer time!

    Evie,
    Yep, that's where it comes from. Bertie Wooster and him only!

    Kristalyn,
    Awww thanks, dear!

    Elizabethany,
    Of course! Mr Collins and his patroness! (I've answered your question on your blog- I'm sure you've noticed already :-)

    Sara Lewis,
    Oooh yes! Scarlet with her Fiddle-dee-dee! How could I forget. Hmmm, I should make a part two!

    Danielle,
    Firstly, don't apologise for the longness of your comment because you know I love long comments. :-)
    Oh really? I forgot that- it's been so long since I've watched the Princess Bride, I am quite PUT OUT. Heehee. I love it. (the "word", I mean.)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.