Anne of Gables Green // Questions on finished book

I found this list of questions for people who participated in the National Novel Writing Month here. I didn't actually participate in the NaNoWriMo thingy, but I did finish a book in a month, so I decided to answer them questions. Besides, I can never resist a good list of interesting questions. I just ache to answer them.
1. On a scale of 1 (worst) to 10 (best) how well do you think this book turned out?
Ah, look here, you can't do this to me. I must admit I am proud of my lil' book. But yeah, if I rate it higher than eight, I sound like this pompous person who flatters herself unashamedly for the whole world to read. So, I suppose I rate it 8/10. It's by no means perfect. By no means. But yes, it's pretty good. I worked hard on it, and I think it would please some bookworms.
About my book: I've written a modern retelling of Anne of Green Gables. It's called Anne of Gables Green. So no, I didn't swap those two words by accident in the title. :-P

 2. Have you ever rewritten or edited one of your books before? If so, what do you do to prepare yourself? If not, what’s your plan?
I'm now in the process of editing Anne of Gables Green. I don't like this as much as writing. In fact, not half as much. I find it rather tedious and challenging. I'm just like, 'Okay it's finished! Now I want to start something different. I'm sick of the book.'
But that can not be so. I have to stick to me own strict rules. Edit ten pages every day, Naomi. DO it.

 3. What’s your final word-count? Do you plan to lengthen or trim your book?
As I said, I didn't participate in this Na-No thingy. In the Na-No thingy, the goal is 50,000 words. AoGG has 30,000, rounded down. Yes, it's not too bad, and yes, it could be more. But it's a children's book, and we have many books in our house twice as small. THAT MAKES ME FEEL SO BIG. Love it!

 4. What’s are you most proud of? Plot, characters, or pacing?
Heehee. I have a lot to owe to Lucy Maud Montgomery! She thought of the story and the characters and all that! But I must say I'm proud of the way I paced this book. I have little sections of characters talking in present first-person. So I'll have Anne Shirley talking in one chapter, Bert Gillson (Gilbert Blythe) in another, Marilla in another... and so on. I'm also really proud of Bert Gillson. I don't know, I just think he's funny. I definitely loved writing him the best!

 5. What’s your favourite bit of prose or line from this novel?
Oh! Good question. Nice question, that is. Well, I'm fond of this part, where Bert Gillson finds out Marilla and Matt are going to adopt a boy. Yes, the fact that it's a girl hasn't been revealed at that stage:
  Hey! I’ve got a text message. Let me see.
It’s Marilla Cutch!!! What on earth!?! Marilla Cutch – that old, Victorian lady – Does she like know what texting IS?!
But anyway, no prejudices, she’s a kind lady, and – WHAT! SHE TELLS ME SHE AND MATT ARE GOING TO ADOPT A BOY AND THAT – Oh my goodness!
Oh my WORD.
You probably don’t understand. Marilla Cutch and Matt Cutch are this pair of old siblings who live at Gables Green (which is a pretty boring place apart from the fact that it’s green and has Wi-Fi) and who live on their apples and – I mean, they can’t adopt a boy.
I mean, they can, but I mean, like, no. They can’t. I mean, I don’t understand. Like.
You see what I mean, with 'fun to write'?

6. What aspect of your book needs the most work?
Good sentences and fine paragraphing and commas on the right places and all that. And things like typos and me writing 'you' instead of 'your'. You know. Bleh.

7. What aspect of your book is your favourite?
The fact that it's Anne of Green Gables, but yet so different. And the fact that the characters really interact with their readers.

 8. How are your characters? Well-rounded, or do they still need to be fleshed-out?
Well-rounded. Most definitely. Creating characters is something I'm good at. Oh goodness, Naomi Bennet honey, you make me blush.

 9. If you had to do it over again, what would you change about the whole process?
Nope. It's okay the way it is, I think.

 10. Did anything happen in your book that completely surprised you? Have any scenes or characters turned out differently to what you planned? Good or bad?
Oh yes. When I had the idea of writing a modern Anne of Green Gables first, I wanted to write it in the past tense, in the way the original AoGG was written. Then I toyed with ideas, started to experiment on the first chapter... yes, I was surprised how much I enjoyed writing in the kind of vlog-ish way.
Oh yes, at first I intended to kill Matthew, like in the real book. But then I couldn't. I have such fondness for the dear fella. Of course, that's a good thing!

 11. What was the theme and message? Do you think it came across? If not, is there anything you could do to bring it out more?
Theme? Message? Well, Anne learns to forgive people. Hey yes, perhaps I should bring that aspect of Anne learning something more.

 12. Do you like writing with a deadline (like NaNoWriMo) or do you prefer to write-as-it-comes?
DEADLINE. I need deadlines. I love deadlines.

 13. Comparative title time! What published books, movies, or TV shows are like your book? (Ex: Inkheart meets X-Men, etc.)
Heehee. Anne of Green Gables of course, Anne of Gables Fables, Lizzie Bennet Diaries... to name a few.

 14. How do you celebrate a finished novel?!
I celebrate it by squealing and dancing and toying with new book ideas. Not kidding. I started my next book the moment I typed 'the end'. Well, maybe I squealed for a half-an-hour in between.

15. When people are done reading your book, what feeling do you want them to come away with?
I want them to laugh. I want them to want to read it again. I want them to say it was almost as good as the real Anne of Green Gables. No, I don't think that will ever happen, haha. Montgomery is way better of a writer than I am. Zee truth, that.

Do you like the sound of my book?
Do you prefer writing or editing?

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your book!!!

    I love how you're going to split the view points up!! That will make the story really cool!!

    Yes, I read that snippet in Jordan Taylor's voice.... and I almost died laughing :D Oh yeah, I like the name Bert!!

    I love the sound of your book!!! And yeah, you know I like editing more than writing :D

    Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, I *love* how you're so enthusiastic about my book! It's really such an encouragement, and thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, this is all so exciting! :-) I loved reading more about the book-- it sounds perfectly delightful and I just cannot WAIT to get my hands on it. Normally I'm not a big fan of modern retellings, you know, but I know they CAN be done well sometimes. I wouldn't trust anyone but the most devoted Montgomery fan to handle this one, and I think we all know who that is. ;-P

    I am SO happy and SO proud of you!

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!! I really really want to read this so much! Let us know ASAP when it becomes available

    <3 Evie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma,
    Thank you, dearest! Yes, modern retellings can easily be done badly, but I personally like them (mostly). Heehee, thanks for describing me as 'the most devoted Montgomery fan.'

    Evie,
    Thank you!!! I'll let you know!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.