Interview with Emily Ann Putzke!


Emily Ann Putzke has written this book called Resist, and it's just released and let me tell you, as an honoured advance reader, I can tell you that it's GOOD. It's really moving as well as deep and... true. It really happened. The book made me cry, and I highly recommend it.

I'm honoured to be a part of Emily's book blog tour... and here's an interview with the One And Only Authoress of the One And Only Resist. :-D



1. When and how did you first 'discover' the Scholl family?

I first read about the Scholl family in November of 2014. Resistance during WWII really fascinates me, so I was looking on Pinterest for pictures and facts about the German resistance. That's when I came across Sophie and Hans Scholl. Their story really touched me, so I got all the books about them I could get my hands on. The rest, as they say, is history!

2. What inspired you to write down their story?

When I read the full story Hans and Sophie it made me sit there in awe and sorrow. Hans and Sophie were around my age and they had such a strong sense of right and wrong that they were willing to die in the fight against evil. I wanted the world to know about them and be inspired by their story as I have been.  


3. The story is obviously a very sad one (I cried while reading it) - did you cry while writing it? Is it a story you get emotional about?

I think I cried the most while doing the research because the story was still new and fresh to me. Maybe the writing didn’t make me cry as much because I put myself in Hans’ place for the entire novel … maybe some of his courage was passed on to me. “I knew what I took upon myself and I was prepared to lose my life by doing so …. please don’t be too grieved that I have to leave this earth so soon .... please know that Sophie and I couldn’t have acted in any other way.” But I can’t deny that the ending was hard and I had tears burning in my eyes as I wrote the final words.

4. Which character do you relate the most to?

I’m more reserved and introverted, like Sophie. I’m also similar to Hans, though. I can be a bit impulsive and jump into projects with lots of gusto like him. I can relate to both of them in different ways.


5. Are there any fictional characters in this book? Which characters did you make up yourself?

There are only a handful of fictional characters in Resist such as a few of the soldiers. Although, I did base some of the soldiers on people Hans mentioned in his Eastern Front diary. Roland, the medical student Hans serves with in France was fictional, as was the red-headed soldier, Otto. Everyone else was either real, or based on a real person.

6. Are there any soundtracks/songs you listened to while writing this book? Any songs that remind you of RESIST?

I listened to Schindler's List and Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. When I listen to them, they bring me back to writing Resist. It’s amazing what a strong hold music has on our memory!


7. Was 'RESIST' the first title you considered? If not, could you tell me what some of the other titles were? (I like these little behind-the-scenes facts. :-))

I really can’t remember having another title in mind except for maybe Resistance, but that didn’t feel right. I liked the sound of Resist from the get-go. Boring answer, sorry!

8. If 'they' would make a movie about Hans Scholl, who would you cast as Hans?

There is already a German film about Hans and Sophie Scholl that was made in 2005. It’s about their final days, however, so ‘they’ should make another film that covers more of Hans’ story. That being said, I absolutely love the actor, Fabian Hinrichs who portrayed Hans, but he’s eleven years older now. Does he have a younger brother? I’d cast him.


About the Author:
Emily Ann Putzke is a young novelist, historical reenactor, and history lover. You can learn more about Emily and her books on her blog, Goodreads, TwitterFacebook, and Instagram. 


Thank you so much, Emily for writing this amazing book + for answering my questions!

People reading, head over here for the fantastic giveaway Emily's hosting!!! AND BUY THE BOOK, because it's quite something. :-D

6 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks really good (and VERY sad)!! I love the fact that they're real people, and there's PICTURES of them!
    Lovely interview! :)
    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! This song [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BqB5Df4198] is a wonderful song about Sophie and the others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--this looks AWESOME. I love Hans and Sophie Scholl, even though I don't know nearly as much about them as I should--and I'd LOVE to read the book!! (I also really need to watch Die Letzten Tage, since I'm studying upper-level German now and I know I could learn a lot from it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! So very cool that you got so inspired by the Scholls' story you wrote a whole book about them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea this was actually based on real life!! I was intrigued before, but now I'm REALLY intrigued. :) Great interview!! Are all those b&w photos of the real Hans and Sophie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're the real pictures. :-)

      Delete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.