Sunday, 13 August 2017

Combinations of things.


You know how you attach certain scents, memories, places or images with books and stories? I love how brains work like that - how it puts two different things in the same category and context; how it juggles with smell and weather and words. It's amazing. Like, The Help is yellow and lemons and the sound of a typewriter. Celia Garth and Violins of Autumn take me back to summer 2015 in Switzerland, the green shutters in the house we were staying at, and the dew on the grass in the morning. Eve's Daughters is me crying in bed and imagining the characters' smiles and the colour purple of the cover. The Book Thief is Christmas holidays, and my bedroom when the bed was at the other side of the room. On the banks of plum creek is lemonade and my old bed sheets with the pink and salmon-coloured hearts on it. Remembrance by Theresa Breslin reminds me of my old bedroom in the attic and Back Home by Michelle Magorian gives me memories of cute lamps, nylons, and my second cousin Rebekah. The Story Girl is me wishing so bad I could dive in it; and it's the colour of gold and the taste of orchard apples. Rilla of Ingleside is an emotional soundtrack like the Kings Speech soundtrack and late nights. Sense and Sensibility is grandma and my old pink diary. That chapter in Hebrews (Hebrews 11) about faith reminds me of strawberries for breakfast and talking about it on grey sofas with five friends. While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin is dark red and chocolate and watching trailers of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland movies on youtube. The Sweetest Thing is light green and mental images of 1930 dresses. Gone with the Wind is dark hallways and mirrors and spring. Man, I love how there are so many combinations of things.

15 comments:

  1. What a cool post! I totally know what you mean. I love the way books do that to you. Lovely Naomi <3 <3 <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you talk about associating sensory impressions with the books you read :-) My brain doesn't really do that. But I love that yours does because you describe it so well.

    I more remember how a book made me feel--inside--and that's about it. I don't really tend to remember where I was or what I was seeing/hearing/smelling as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness I love this so much. Combinations like these are my favorite. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is lovely! You have a way with words my dear! I'm cooped up in bed with tea in hand watching Call the Midwife

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post Naomi, I just love it! It's my favourite thing when sentimental, nostalgic links are made between times and books and scents like this without us even knowing at the time. Like for me, Anne of Green Gables is synonymous with the smell of jonquils and a gorgeous, twinkly feeling inside... Anne of the Island is springtime and sitting underneath a blooming peach tree... Owl City's album Ocean Eyes is autumn twilights and sketching fairies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, I loved this!! I don't actually do it that much myself, but I totally understand what you're feeling. I tend to do that more with music than books (because I take so long to read most books... probably because most books I read are so long :P). For example, the song "My Lighthouse" by Rend Collective reminds me of road trips with my sisters, heart-to-heart talks, sunsets and inexplicable joy.

    Lovely, lovely post. <3 <3
    Also, that picture is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so very true. I haven't stopped to think about it in quite a long time but now reading this I realize there are so many memories and happy times that go right along together with scents, textures, people and books. :) Thank you for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES I know what you mean!! That happens to me all the time! It's not always pleasant what associations come to mind, but sometimes it takes you back to moments of joy. This post is perfection.
    (Also. I love your new look, or however new it really is, I love it. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I liked this post. I think everyone here thought about their books and their memories attached to them.
    If I can contribute, I'd like to say The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie will be my starting on reading in my childhood.

    I know what you mean, the word written is almost magic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's so fun to think about!! I started reading my first AoGG copy when I would go to the chiropractor, so I think of that and racing to the door of the office with my sister. The rest of my Anne books are mostly from thrift stores but especially one store in rainy Washington State shopping with my great Aunt Jacquie is particularly brought to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post, as always.

    There are so many mermories in a book! When ever someone says Little Women I think of winter, snow, and snowmobiles because that was when I was reading it and those where the sounds when my sisters and I were trying to film it. We didn't have sound proof glass.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading The Help at the moment. I am loving it too.
    I love when certain things bring back memoeries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful. I love the memories and feelings associated with books. :) That's part of the reason I try to read certain books at certain times or seasons. But I love how you took it a step further and wrote about all the people and places and things certain books remind you of. <3

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.