Story Snippets


What do you do when you're running out of time but really feel like posting something? And when you need to be writing but need to do something to encourage you to write one some more? Well, you post Story Snippets on your blog, of course.

(None of this is properly edited, but I thinks it's good enough for Public Eye Judgement.) (Tell me what you think!)

{Character inspiration for Tom}

------
And Tom… well, Tom. Something sad happened to Tom. It wasn’t like with Esther and Susanna; who I sometimes forgot had ever even existed. In fact, I had to be reminded by someone; or the family Bible records, that I had two little dead sisters buried in some strange graveyard. That was okay; no-one really needed to talk about it. 
Tom’s disappearance (he ‘disappeared’ when I was nine) wasn’t talked of, but it was a gap that screamed screamed screamed to be talked of. I yearned to talk about it. So did Laura; I knew she did. But our parents never did. They never explained the reason for the silence either; so for years and years I just didn’t understand, and that annoyed me more than anything else has ever annoyed me in the entire length of my childhood.

------
In 1949, Laura turned thirteen. In those days, the term ‘teenager’ was just starting to become the fashion, so of course she used it endlessly. Laura vocabulary was very up to date. She said words like ‘tickety-boo’ and ‘heebie-jeebies’ and ‘bee’s knees’ in practically any sentence that exuded from her throat. 
Also, she said, ‘Mercy!’ The. Whole. Time. She thought it was cool or something.I contented myself with words like, ‘great’ and ‘fun’ and ‘nice.’ My vocabulary would have killed mice with boredom.
 ------

{Character inspiration for Laura}

------
He had the looks, of course. Inevitable – it comes synonymous to popular. Good-looking = Popular. Popular = Good-looking. How sad society is. 
He had a wave in his rich, dark hair, swept back with gel his mother sent him from America. (I wondered why he wouldn’t just go back. Go, sir. Bye. Buzz off. Now.) He had luxuriously dark eyes and well yes, he was divinely attractive. It could not be denied. 
 ------
Laura was easy to spot. She was sitting on a high chair at the bar, her yellow dress looking all gold and shimmery in the light of the darkening room. She was drinking; most likely Babycham. Her first time drinking Babycham – something she’d been dreaming of for ages. For months and months, she’d talked about one day drinking Babycham in high heels. Why didn’t she want to share this moment with me?!
------

{Character inspiration for my main character, Martha}

------
We would peek through the window and watch the lovers walk through our street as dusk gathered, their arms wrapped around each other. We would wait for this man who always walked through our street around 20:15 – we called him Pete Butcher, because he looked like a Pete and he looked like he was a butcher by trade – and then we’d wave at him. He never waved back, he always sent us a long scowl. Laura thought it was hilarious, and we always laughed about it. Once I dared Laura to stick out her tongue at him, and she did. Oh, how much we laughed!
 ------
Mornings. 
They are odd things. They are new beginnings, but then they aren’t. They are like hope and dread rolled into one. Hope, because it’s a new day, and something wonderful might happen. It’s a new day and a new opportunity to start all over; fresh and new, like fresh morning breakfast rolls. 
But dread, because you know it probably won’t. Life goes on. If day no. 53 is a bad one, chances are big that day no. 54 won’t be that stellar either. Good and bad times come and go in long slow waves; generally, and everybody knows that.
------


Have a wonderful Sunday, dears!

23 comments:

  1. Story snippets! GOOD IDEA. :D (Do I know this story...? Is it a new one? :))

    I really enjoyed read this!! I can never stop being in awe at how creative you get when writing... comparing your story writing to mine, they're absolutely nothing alike. ;) (Mind you, the story I'm focusing on right now is a terribly serious one, so I feel like I really have to write it in a certain way. Besides, I have other stories that I write pretty differently because they're way more frivolous.)

    My favourite snippet was probably the last one, about mornings. "Good and bad times come and go in long slow waves; generally, and everybody knows that." I liked that line. :) (Although, grammatically speaking, I don't think that semi colon should be there. :P)

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Noo, well I might have told you about it. It's pretty new, yes.
      Wow, thank you so much. Actually, I generally don't tend to write this 'blog post ish' when I write stories, but I challenged myself and I'm trying it. :-)
      OHHH Thanks about the grammatical error. WILL FIX. :-D
      Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I adore this idea. I've started various short stories in blog drafts but never finished them. This could be a chance to use them. When I am desperate to post something but am short of time, I either post '10things to be thankful for' or post a picture that I found beautiful and discuss it.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie! '10 things to be thankful for' are great posts to write when you don't have much time - there are always things to be happy about.

      Delete
  3. Is Laura the main subject of your main character's eyes?...I mean something like The Great Gatsby. I'm intrigued by your characters. Lovely snippets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not really - she's her sister, and a lot of the beginning (which is all I've written so far) is about her + their relationship.

      Delete
  4. I want to know more about Tom . . . Really, I must KNOW. Where is he? What happened to him? GIVE ME ALL THE ANSWERS. ;-)

    I really liked your description of Laura's dress--it's very vivid and delightful. Plus, I mean, Emma Watson. Emma Watson = I approve :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOM IS SNEAKY RIGHT. :-O (No answers right now, dear. ;-) I shall keep you in suspense.)
      Thank you so much for your comment... it made me very Happy. :-)

      Delete
  5. WOW. I love the collages and I LOVE the snippets. :-) (My favorite one is the one about Babycham.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NAOOOOMI!!! Goodness gracious, girl! This was awesome! No, seriously. I LOVE your style of writing. It's so fun and fresh and unique. I really liked your description of Laura. (Is this the story you were talking about that was slightly inspired from Call the Midwife. Just wondering because of the 'tickety-boo' reference. ;))

    A long lost brother??? Ohhh! I love the angle of a missing person...especially so if they turn out to be alive and come back into the story. (I hope that's the case here, because judging from the pictures you included Tom looks like he'd be a very nice brother.) Gahhh! I want to know what happened to him now!! In fact, I WANT TO READ THIS WHOLE STORY!! (Seriously. Finish it and send me a copy. ;))

    I liked your description of the nameless handsome guy. "Good-looking = Popular. Popular = Good-looking. How sad society is." Haha! That final remark was great.

    Such a fun post! I really enjoy it when you share your story snippets with us. And I love the pictures you included, too. Thanks, Naomi!! :D

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the story slightly inspired by Call the Midwife. Well guessed. ;-)

      Delete
  7. This is lovely. Especially the colleges (all those beautiful pictures!) and the last snippet, which was easily my favorite. <3 Keep writing, because even if all of these bits aren't quite polished, they show lots and lots of promise. :)

    ~Eva

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just sitting here with my mouth open. ;) Your writing is simply beautiful, I haven't read anything I liked so much in a long time. You. Go. Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS COMMENT. Made my day. :-) Thank you so much, dear!

      Delete
  9. And Tom... I rather like the sound of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!!
    So when will it be available to buy? ;)
    Even with these few words, your story seems so vibrant and interesting. I love the line: "My vocabulary would have killed mice with boredom."

    So do you have a favorite character yet? Or do you love all your dear creations equally? For me, I normally love all my characters about the same, (except for the nasty villians, shudder.) but some characters are more fun to write. So I usually love those more.

    And argh, I am on pins and needles with the entire long gone/lost Tom storyline. I need more!!!!!
    Speculations on why he went missing may or may not have begun....
    -A Friendly Ghost



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I haven't even reached the middle yet! :-)
      My favourite character is Martha - but I like them all, really. :-)
      Thank you so so much for your lovely comment, Friendly Ghost. It's always great to hear from you.

      Delete
  11. "How sad society is."

    Naomi, you crack me up.

    Also you make me smile and sigh and squeal. I wanta know MORE!!! Especially about TOM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last two paragraphs are my favorite. The first is wonderfully nostalgic, and the last one makes me want to find out more about her story so badly (which is definitely a good thing).
    I love the pictures too, they make "meeting" characters so much more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH!!! These comments are making me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're going to have to email me and tell me about this

    ReplyDelete
  15. BEAUTIFUL. I love it all, Naomi :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.