New upcoming Period Dramas I'm excited (or not excited) to see


Okay. First and foremost, I must squeal about THE CROWN. It's the kind of title that screams capital letters and majesticality and royalty and just shivers because it looks so epic. If you haven't heard about the Crown yet, well GET EXCITED. If you have heard about it (which probably you have because it is news of phenomenal dimension and the whole world is excited!) then get even MORE excited because this is going to be the most amazing miniseries ever.

Claire Foy as Elisabeth, QUEEN Elisabeth of The United Kingdom?! Yes yes yes. 1940's and 1950's costumes and Prince Philip and Royal family insights and Princess Margaret's hats and just... I AM SO EXCITED. Even people who aren't much into the royal families of Britain (such as my American truck-lovin' bean) are bound to get excited about this because the story and the movie quality just looks unbeatable. The costumes are to DIE for and the endless familiar faces (Bertie from Downton Abbey! Fanny from S&S! On and on goes the list) are just... gah, it's going to be SUPER good.

AND THE TRAILER. I DARE YOU NOT TO GET CHILLS:



SECONDLY GUESS WHAT.

THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE A MOVIE OF THE GUERNSEY LITERARY POTATOE PEEL PIE SOCIETY.

I will calm down. I will come down. I will explain the reason behind this wacky future-movie title. You see, people who have not had the fortune of reading 'The Guernsey Literary Potatoe Peel Pie Society' (The abbreviation I use is The Guernsey Book), 'The Guernsey Literary Potatoe Peel Pie Society' is one of my favouritest books. (Yes, I copied and pasted the long title.) It's filled with bookish people with quirky traits and adorable ideas and it just PLAIN good I LOVE the book so much. And then I heard there'll be a movie!!!! LILY JAMES WILL PLAY THE MAIN CHARACTER. I have high hopes!

There are no trailers or anything (they haven't even started to film so it'll be bound to take a while) but I am not making a joke, how dare you suggest I'd possess such wickedness to do such a thing! Here is the article.

And because there aren't any pictures of that yet, and loads of absolutely ridiculously gorgeous ones of The Crown, here's another picture or two (or three) (because... excitement reasons) of The Crown. You are welcome.


... okay, I'll stop. ;-P You get the point. I am excited about this miniseries. I will bear the sad fact of not being able to see it as soon as possible (the 4th of November) because we do not have a Netflix account running and living in this house. I will be patient. Ish. BUT I WILL SEE IT. And hopefully SOON, because I CAN'T WAIT.

Waiting for movies is a trial.

Here are two more films I'm really excited about (especially the first one):


(Honestly, I get so so many chills every time I watch this trailer. Goosebumps everywhere. I need to see this. Where can I find a dvd.) (Alicia Vinkader and Michael Fassbender and the ocean and babies? YES PLEASE. I'm in the audience.)


(This movie will make me cry.) (Also, it's a true story.) (Also, Rosamund Pike + 50's fashion = YES.)

Now you may be wondering. Why the 'not excited' bit between brackets in the title?! All the movies you've mentioned in this post are ones you seem to be hopping to see. True, but I ain't done yet. BECAUSE OH WOE, THEY ARE MAKING ANOTHER ANNE OF GREEN GABLES MOVIE. I'm not talking about the new one they made. YET ANOTHER one. What's so wrong with the good old original Megan Fellowes Anne movie, guys?! That's the best we can get and no new AoGG movie will beat it. FOCUS ON A RILLA MOVIE.

First we had the good Anne movie. Megan Fellowes. Jonathan Crombie. We all know it. We've (hopefully) all seen it. We have good opinions on it and some of us love it to bits, even more than the books.

Then this thing came, and it was sorta fun and sorta cool. I was excited at first. Then I watched the trailer and decided it was a bit of a joke. Sorry. I'm not doing the nine-year-old Gilbert. And seriously, no AoGG movie will shine with the 'real' version already there.


But no... Netflix was like, 'WE need our own, proper Anne of Green Gables, so therefore we will make one. It'll be easy. We take some things from that one they just made and we'll add some aspects of the original AoGG movie and bam we'll have one. And we'll make our Anne skinny.'


There ya go. I'm so excited. That was sarcastic.

(Back to 'The Crown' and 'The Guernsey' film and 'The Light Between Oceans' though. ARE YOU AS EXCITED AS I AM?!?! Are you not dyiiiing to see Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth?!?)

23 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Is The Guernsey Literary Potatoe Peel Pie Society set in the future? (I just copied and pasted.)
    I haave never seen an Anne of Green Gables movie, so I guess I should.
    -MovieCritic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I believe it's set in the 50's-ish, after WW2. If you mean, when will the movie come out, I don't know.
      You should! The original version with Megan Fellowes of course!

      Delete
  2. They all three look so lovely! (But I'm worried about the AoGG just as much as you are.) I must get my hands on "The Crown." Claire Foy was perfect for Little Dorrit, and she looks as if she would be perfect for this too. I was a little worried. She didn't seem like she would be particularly 'regal,' if you watch Little Dorrit, but I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, because Amy and Queen Elizabeth are two very different people, ha. But honestly, she looks splendid!
      Thanks for commenting. ;-)

      Delete
  3. These new "Anne of Green Gables", just... WHY? The Megan Fellowes ones are simply beyond PERFECTION??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you phone for your clever placing of things...:/ I meant to put exclamation points after "perfection"! :)

      Delete
  4. FIRST OF ALL. THIS LOOK. HOW HAVE I NOT SEEN THIS LOOK.

    Second of all, yuuuuuusssssss <3 I was already interested in "The Light", but now you've got me all stirred up about the other two, as well ;)

    (And once I read "The Guernsey Book," I'm sure I'll be thrilled about the movie for that, too :D)

    HEARTS THIS POST <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. My! You *are* excited. :D But The Crown does look good, although it's not like I need more items on my to-watch list. ;)

    Actually, all of those movies look really good...except the AoGG adaption. (That's what I expected you might mean by the "and not excited" part of your title) XD The trailer left me very skeptical.

    But are you sure it's the same one they're releasing to Netflix? My understanding is that there were two AoGG adaptions coming up and they've only released the trailer for the one that's supposed to be played on TV, Thanksgiving evening. Not the Netflix one... But I may very well be mistaken. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM VERY EXCITED FOR THE CROWN TOO. FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS THE PAIN OF WAITING FOR IT TO COME OUT.:D Excuse my exuberant shouting.;)

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES, The Crown looks amazing. But now I'm distracted because....The Light Between the Oceans OH MY GOSH!!!!!!! I remember you told me about it and I didn't look up the trailer yet....IT LOOKS TERRIBLE. Terrible as in horribly tragic and enchanting. I want to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THE CROWN. YES.

    The Light Between Oceans looks utterly amazing and thrilling and the actors...!

    OK. Like what. I need to see A United Kingdom now. I never even heard of it and it looks amazing!!!

    Honestly. They could have done The Blue Castle. Or, like you said, Rilla. Or any of the other wonderful Montgomery books. Show some imagination, netflix. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Guernsey wait what?! They're turning it into a film! SQUELP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth Tuttle29 October 2016 at 18:53

    I am so excited to see The Crown!! I have Netflix at home on my laptop so I will be able to watch it when it comes out! Thank you for the movie recommendation:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh! What splendidness! This is such a fun post, Naomi! The Crown looks really good. Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth? Ye-es! I approve. :) And those other two trailers. Wow. Do you like sad movies, or what? ;) I have a feeling these two would rip me apart inside. Especially The Light Between Oceans. GAHHH. What heartbreak!!

    The Anne movies though...uh, no. I don't think we're THAT desperate for another adaption. Not even close. Megan Follows will always be Anne to me, I think. And there's no one who can play Gilbert like Jonathan Crombie!

    Thanks for this post. I REALLY enjoyed it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I don't even know what to say!

    !!!!!!!!!!!

    First of all, The Crown looks pretty epic (and intense and gorgeous and so much more) and I hope I can see it at some point (I don't have Netflix either).

    Secondly, THEY'RE BRING OUT A MOVIE OF THE GUERNSEY BOOK AND LILY JAMES IS THE MAIN CHARACTER?!!!!! I... I don't even.... I can't even... *screams* YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

    Thirdly, The Light Between the Oceans looks pretty heart wrenching and beautiful! I can imagine there'd be a bit of content, so I'm not sure as I'd want to see it in the theatre, but I really hope to see it at some point! I'll have to write all these down on my to-see list. :D

    Fourthly (is that a word?), United Kingdom looks good too! (I mean hey, they directed Belle!!) I reeeally like Rosamund Pike and 50's and amazingingly strong and steadfast love stories so I'm in!! :D

    Fifthly, that Anne of Green Gables trailer. Haha. Ha.... NO.
    I think that new Anne looks a lot like how she's described in the book, but I don't need another one. Megan did the job 110%. (Also, I'm actually reading the book just now and I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. <3 <3 <3)

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Naomi! I am someone who always reads your posts, but I have never left a comment on your blog before.
    I saw the trailer of The Crown on your pinterest (and commented on it. That was me :-)) and it looks really epic. Claire Foy did a really good job as Amy Dorrit, I am sure she is just as amazing as queen Elizabeth!
    I don't have Netflix either, so I have to wait too. Yes, waiting for wovies is a trial!

    Micheal Fassbender and Alicia Vikander together in a period drama? I need to watch that! (The light between oceans is a beautiful title, don't you think?)

    I agree with you about Anne of Green gables. No other version can beat the one with Megan Fellows!

    I hope you keep blogging for a long time, because I love all your posts!

    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely excited for 'The Crown', but I hope they don't make Prince Phillip too unlikeable. Still not watched the old Anne of Green Gables but that Netflix Anne looks just how I imagine her in the book, so I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait for "The Crown"--and ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I never saw the trailer for "A United Kingdom" before! IT LOOKS FANTASTIC. I mean, David Oyelowo and Rosamund Pike and true love and ACTUAL REAL HISTORY??? *splutters incoherently* Sign me up, folks. I mean to say, sign me up.

    *coughs* I'm actually not excited about "The Light Between Oceans." Sorry. I know it looks like a really dramatic story and everything, but the premise just makes me super uncomfortable and I get angry every time I watch the trailer, so . . . yeah. Gonna give that one a miss, I'm afraid.

    Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys. WHAT IS WRONG WITH HAVING ANOTHER ANNE OF GREEN GABLES ADAPTATION. I mean . . . isn't it EXCITING to have a new interpretation of the story? No adaptation is ever perfect, so a new take is always welcome, right? Plus--the girl in the photo you included looks pretty much EXACTLY like I picture Anne Shirley from the books. (And Anne is *supposed* to be skinny. It says so in the book.)

    Okay, rant over.

    But yeah, "A United Kingdom" looks so cool--I can't wait!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited about The Crown also — but drat, I don't have Netflix either. :/ I wonder if it'll ever be released outside of Netflix? Hm, maybe I could do the free 1-month trial thingy.
    I hadn't heard of A United Kingdom, but now I'm really intrigued! It won't be out until February for us Americans, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok The Crown looks so amazing!!! And Lily James is like one of my favorite people ever so I will definitely be looking into this book and movie! Crazy fun post Naomi! I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look amazing!
    So, I looked up the new Anne movie, of course, and I don't know whether or not to agree with you... It is an 8-episode series, so isn't it sure to be pretty accurate? But I don't know. It might be horrible, especially if the casting is! We'll see. Do you know anything else about it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Know this is an old post but... THE CROWN! Have you watched it yet? Need to hear people's thoughts on it. Looks so good! Also, the Anne of Green Gables was ok. Just can't beat the original Anne + Gilbert.
    Have you heard of The Zookeepers Wife thats coming out? That one looks good as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, not yet! HOPEFULLY DURING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS?!? :-)
      Yes, I have heard of the Zookeepers Wife... the trailer seems... INTENSE. I don't think I'd enjoy it that much but you're right, it does look very good.

      Delete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.