Twenty random reasons why I love The Blue Castle


The Blue Castle will be one of those books I will love forever. The kind of book I will want to introduce to my potential daughter (AND SON) (AND PET GOLDFISH) (AND GREAT-GRANDMA IN LAW OR WHATEVER)  as soon as possible and it's the kind of book I will always recommend to those poor friends of mine who have not yet dipped their young imagination into this jewel of a book. It's fantastic - filled with whimsy, Montgomery-ness, wit, sparkle and quirkiness. I've reviewed this book many times in my head, but here is a quickly-thrown-together, random list of things I love about this little, unknown-to-many, genius book called The Blue Castle. 

(Which, by the way, I know practically word to word because I've reread it so frequently. One must brag about these things. :-P)

Lovely collage I found

1. BARNEY. Let's be real here; first thing on the list. Barney Snaith.
2. Her green dress and hat. I love how she learns how to wear it and how nice she looks in it. It sounds like something lady Edith in Downton Abbey would rock, too.
3. When Barney puts his 'tobaccoey' leather jacket on Valancy in the car. AHHH. #Barlancy
4. "Ever thought of ballooning?" Never gets old. 
5. Valancy's reaction when Barney takes her to his little house on the island. (Can we all take a moment to appreciate where Barney lives? Actual house goals.)
6. "Piffle," said Barney.
7. Also, basically any time Barney pretends to hate John Foster's books. Also, basically any time Barney is in the book. Also, basically Barney. His eyebrows, his tawny hair, his grin, his laugh, his mysteriousness, his HOUSE, his wonderful Barney-ness... I love Barney.
8. The name Valancy is gorgeous. I don't care what anyone says; I love it.
9. Uncle Benjamin's stupid jokes. "What's the difference between a stamp and a donkey?" "One you lick with a stick and one you stick with a lick!"
10. When Barney says he's not a pup, but a middle-aged dog, actually.
11. Valancy's moonlight dress. And her Christmas pearls. And her little moments of adorable sass and cute happiness.
12. Obviously also when Valancy proposes and she tells him she loves him.
13. However, all that is cast underneath the beautiful scene where Barney professes his love to Valancy, and he says sentimental stuff like, 'Girl, you're the core of my heart!' and HE SO PULLS IT OFF. The scene is a mighty tearjerker. Gah, I love these two.
14. When they go to the movies together and eat at a Chinese restaurant.
15. Lady Jane. I love Lady Jane. (For those of you who haven't read it: Lady Jane is, in fact, a car. And I do generally not admire or speak of these iron objects, but Lady Jane is an exception.)
16. The poetic beauty of Montgomery's seasonal descriptions. I used to find them boring, but now I relish in their richness.
17. "True happiness is to sneeze when you want to." - Valancy
18. While yes, some of Valancy (NOT DOSS)'s comments were very much out there, I love love her bite-back commentary scenes to her stupid and insipid clan. I love their shocked expressions and their lack of understanding life. I love it when they insist she has gone 'batty' and when Mrs Stirling wishes she 'knew how to go into hysterics.' This book is hilarious.
19. Valancy's married happiness. Oh and their first kiss. Cuuute.
20. ALL OF IT OKAY. There is something magical about this book - it is a little gem of happiness, sparkle, and utter, gleeful whimsy. Don't blame for using an excess of metaphors. I just read The Blue Castle and I am intoxicated yet again. (PS. Barney Snaith belongs to me. Goodbye.)

Other Really beautiful collage I found of this book.

Have you read this book? If you have not I'm afraid we must postpone our friendship to a latter date when you can tell me that you have. And that you enjoyed it. Just kidding, but really, go and read it. It's charm personified.

Now go yonder and fulfil your daily - or, in my case, nightly - duties. (Which includes suddenly realising it's late and thinking wow, wow, let's get some sleep, shall we.) Read books in one sitting and get as much of the boring stuff done before Christmas and check out The Bible Project on Youtube, because it's my favourite Youtube Channel at present. Make ugly selfies. Roll your eyes now and then. Write two blog posts in one day. Wow. I give the best life advice since Don't Worry Be Happy; (you know, that song with the catchy whistle-y tune.)

19 comments:

  1. I so feel the same way about this book!!!! I read it for the first time this year and I've been wanting to re-read it ever since but I've been restraining myself until the start of the new year. You can bet though I'll be picking it up first thing in 2017!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, re-read it. It's the kind of book that can be re-read over and over and over again. It never gets old for me. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your collages. They're so beautiful and BLUE. :-)

    I did read "The Blue Castle" very quickly one time, when I was taking a short break from school; and I did not like it; although it's possible that I might like it better if I took the time to read it more slowly. I . . . don't really think so, though. It's just not my type of story. Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

    BUT you don't like Star Wars and I love it, so I suppose we are even ;-)

    Oh, by the way: I watched the latest SW movie, "Rogue One," this week and I actually died because IT WAS ACTUAL LITERAL PERFECTION. I'm not kidding. That movie is a GEM. I'm just so grateful I got to experience it, basically. It made me so happy (as well as destroying my feels and ripping my heart into a million pieces *ahem*). So yeah. Star Wars forever. :-P

    "I give the best life advice since 'Don't Worry Be Happy' "--HAHAHAHAHA. You do give very good life advice, actually :-) My mom sings that song to me sometimes whenever I get too anxious and wound-up about silly things . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, it's official. I MUST READ THIS BOOK!! It sounds SO good. (And I'm sure your pet gold fish will agree one day. Heehee. ;)) Only problem is, though, our library doesn't have it, so I don't know how I'm going to get my hands on it. :(

    "Wow. I give the best life advice since Don't Worry Be Happy; (you know, that song with the catchy whistle-y tune.)" Haha. Love that. This post made me smile. :D (And yes, I know that song, and it is totally catchy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extremely tiny whisper: Here are two links from which you can read it.
      http://www.feedbooks.com/book/6444/the-blue-castle
      http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200951h.html

      Delete
    2. Really? Cool! I'll have to check those out. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Loooooove this. SO MUCH. #Barlancy

    Ps. Hahaha, I put sticky notes on our bathroom mirror that say "Don't worry; be happy." :P (That part of Pentatonix's song has been stuck in my head a LOT lately.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #Barlancyforever

      (SAME. I LOVE THE PENTATONIX VERSION.)

      Delete
  5. Oh Naomi, I totally know how you feel. There are SO MANY books that I feel just like that about. All the little things that come together to make it EPIC. Like the book Inkheart. I just read it for the first time and GAHHHHHHH. I really love Dustfinger. Though I probably shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read The Blue Castle, it sounds so good!!
    Also congrats on getting onto the #AskAdler show. I must say, brilliant question. :P

    ~Lydia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha that made my day, being on #AskAdler. :-) Thanks. :-P

      Delete
  7. Naomi, how do you get the snow falling thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled it and found loads of simple tutorials.
      The one I followed basically just included pasting a HTML code in the sidebar. That's it. Done.

      Delete
  8. I haven't heard of this book until now, although I love Anne of Green Gables, and now I desperately want to read it <3

    Elizabeth
    https://whimsicalthoughtss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas! I've been following your blog for a while, but only commented a couple of times :)

    I LOVE The Blue Castle, when a friend recommended it to me, I was a bit hesitant, as I'd heard it was one of the "lesser efforts" of L.M. Montgomery, but it was fantastic!

    I really thought the social drama and the way events played out, the characters, were quite realistic, and the ending managed to avoid being too sugary-sweet and good to be true, like other books with a similar plot of "overlooked girl finds love".

    And yes, this is the sort of book you'd recommend to your Great-grandmother-in-law, and her goldfish!

    Love your blog, and may you have a merry Christmas and very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I just received this book for Christmas. I had never heard of this one before. I read it all in one day. I love this book so much and yes Valancy and Barney for life. I love the character of Valancy. She reminds me of myself and Barney is perfect. L. M. Montgomery's descriptions in the Blue Castle just filled me with so much joy. I re-read them so many times after my first read I just really love this book.

    I would recommend this book to my goldfish and everyone in the whole world if I could.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you've been converted into a fan since Christmas! Isn't it the bestest?? Valancy is so adorable and yep, Barney is PERFECT. :-)

      Delete
  11. It is the bestest and I will love this book til the day I die :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.