You might be a writer if...

 
~ You wake up in the middle of the night with a story idea and can't go back to sleep unless you've written it down somewhere. On your hand, on a piece of tissue paper - it doesn't matter where - it just has to be written down, in case you forget.
 
~ You'd rather spend a day writing than going to parties. It's common for writers to be decided introverts. While I am rather social, I definitely prefer reading to parties.
 
~ You involuntary pray for your characters when they are in trouble. God understands.
 
~ You fall in love with your characters and think they make the best hero there ever was. Like, the hero's I create are millions times better than any Mr Darcy. For me. They are mine. :-)
 
~  You write/type until your fingers are tired and stiff. And then, when you lean back, yawn and stretch your fingers, you feel ever so proud of having stiff fingers. Because that means you're real writer. :-)
 
~ You can't get to sleep because there's this scene you find hard to tackle. Bothersome, that.
 
~ Your day is a good one when you've thought of a brilliant idea, or written more words than the norm. I tell, you such a good feeling to go to bed with - if you're a writer, you should understand.
 
~ You see people in a totally different light once you know they've written a book. Fellow writers share so many of the same aspects - it's delightful.
 
~ You think of the fact that you are a writer when you're upset, or had a bad day - the feeling makes you proud - it makes you happy. I am so proud to be a writer. I'm so proud of my books and stories. It may sound really horrid, but I am. This doesn't mean I'm saying my things I write are really good - I'm just proud of my accomplishments and of the fact that I am a writer.
 
According to these rules - are you a true writer?
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This list is so very me. And especially the first one; my parents are used to me having to get up in the middle of the night to write something down where I can find it the next morning. :D
    And the one about staying awake when there's a hard scene to tackle... Or sometimes I can't sleep because I know there's a tantalising plot idea just out of reach that I *have* to take hold of and write down before it fades away and is lost to me...
    Nice to know other people (other writers, anyway) feel the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me of this great YouTube channel called Blimey Cow. It's a ridiculous name, I know, but their videos are really funny, and they have this whole series called "You Might be a Homeschooler If..." You can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0jIctUPBK6lHw4AYnGHvCA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I must be a writer, according to your list!!! (But then, I already knew I was.) ;-)
    ~<>~Katie~<>~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie,
    Oh! So pleased to hear that you too, are a writer!
    Oh goodness yes, I know that feeling... when you have to write the scene before it slips out of your brain.

    abbyp,
    Yes, I know those videos -they are hilarious! In fact, the 'you might be a homeschooler videos' inspirated me to make a 'you might be a writer if' post.

    Kaitlyn,
    Yup, you're a writer! :-P

    Thanks for the comments, lovely girls!
    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, I'm so behind on commenting....but I love this post so much, I just had to come back and comment on it.

    Yes, yes, and yes, to all of these. Parties? Writing? That's a no-brainer! And yes, I often wake up in the middle of the night with something that I just HAVE to write down. (Or an idea will come to me at an inopportune moment, like when I'm riding in a car, and I just have to remember it until I can write it down. That happened, um, yesterday. ;-P)
    And yes, I fall in love with my characters. Absolutely I do. :-)

    Well, I should hope your heroes are millions of times better than Mr. Darcy! ;-P

    Yes, my fingers get very stiff. Especially when I write with a pen. But that's just the way I do things. :-)

    I love, love, love this post. I AM a writer. And so are you. Aren't we lucky? :-)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, Emps, you're allowed to be behind on commenting. :-) I'm glad you love this post!

    Heehee, I'm not excessively fond of parties. Although I like family parties, seeing cousins again and all that jazz - but still, writing is *FAR* better.

    Hey, hey. My heroes *are* better than Mr Darcy, but Mr Darcy is absolutely lovely as well. Don't forget that. :-)

    Yup, your fingers must get stiff! But it's a nice kind of stiff, right?

    Love you, fellow writer friend!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.