Monday, 12 January 2015

Writery questions

I found this questionnaire here, and considering myself a writer, I set out to complete it. There.
 
(Okay, that may have sounded a trifle grumpy. Sorry. I just don't really like writing all those intro paragraphs - I just prefer going on to the actual post. But I do apologise for the grumpiness. I was too hasty and I admit it. NOW we can start the post. Heehee.)

 
1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
 
I've been writing ever since I could, honestly. I don't remember writing away though, as a little kid, I rather remember drawing and drawing away. But I did write, because I still have my old tiny stories. My earliest one was about a lady called Lisa who married and got twin girls and about fifteen words long. SO CUUUTE.
 
I officially called myself a writer when I realised I had finished my very first book. That was when I was twelve, thirteen. I had written loads of unfinished stories and some finished ones before I had reached that age of course, but I had always considered it as 'just a hobby.' But when I realised I had finished something, I suddenly realised, 'Hey. I am a writer.' That was a great moment. :-)

2. How/why did you start writing?
 
I honestly can't remember how and why I started. As I said, I was really young when I was already penning down nonsense.

 3. What’s your favourite part of writing?
(I changed favorite to favourite. Yes blogger, you MAY put a red squiggly line under 'favorite.')
 
My favourite part of writing? Oh my word, I don't think I know. Yes, I do know - the characters. I LOVE creating characters - ones that have never been created before. Lovable and funny ones, annoying, spoilt and funny ones, sweet and soppy ones. The variation is everlasting and I LOVE mixing this and that to make my own character.

 4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
 
Does editing count? Yes. It probably does.
 
I am becoming better and better at finishing things, so that isn't the issue anymore (last year, that was definitely my biggest struggle - finishing things) but what I really do not enjoy is editing. Read through, chopping out, filling in. I know it has to be done (of course it has to be done) so I do it, but I do not enjoy it and I'm not that good at it either.

 5. Do you write best at night or day?
 
I never write in the night, but I must say I write well in evenings because it's the only time our house is relatively quiet. Haha.

 6. What does your writing space look like? (Feel free to show us pictures!)
 
I recently posted about this here, but honestly I've gone back to writing on my bed. My bed and I- we are just SO inseparable (yes, doesn't that sound lazy?), but it's just so comfortable and warm and such a good place to concentrate things in. I am now blogging on my bed. I read in my bed. I write my books here. BED, I LOVE YOU.
 

 7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?

My minimum is a month - normally two to three. But then it depends on the book. I can pretty easily manage a children's book in two months. One month, if it's a holiday.

8. How many projects do you work on at once?

Well, I always have about two running seriously, but now and then I'll click on a new fresh file and start a few paragraphs when ideas strike. Now I'm tackling 'Pen-Enemy' (the one I put the beginning of on my blog) and a novel about a bubbly, extroverted girl who can't live without colours. I 've actually only started the latter - only two pages haha - so it might just be one of those, 'start and leave' things I have millions of. But I hope it isn't, because I love the character already.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?

Haha, I was talking about this yesterday, with a Church friend.
Ugh, I hate sad endings. The Book Thief, although absolutely glorious and amazing and beautiful, can not totally gain my praise because of the sad ending (my goodness, I CRIED so much.) And Gone with the Wind? I adore the book, but what even about that ending.
I don't really mind a book with some bittersweet, honeylike things - like Rilla of Ingleside - it's sad, because loved ones have died, but the ending gives you a happy feeling inside. So yes, I go for happy endings - or at least ones that give you a gooey, satisfying feeling. SERIOUSLY. (I'm looking at you, Julian Fellowes.)



10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.

Roald Dahl (people say my style is a little like him, in my children's books), Markus Zusak (that guy has talent, such impeccable talent), My darling Lucy Maud Montgomery (I read the Blue Castle yesterday... again), Emma Anderson, Margaret Mitchell, Laura Ingalls, LYNN AUSTIN and Amy Dashwood.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?

When I finish things, YES, all the WAY!!! My siblings read my stuff, my cousins, my uncles, my grandparents... I'm lucky enough to get quite an amount of readers that way. I have a cousin who asks me questions as if I'm a bestselling author. "Naomi, I'm SO excited to be talking to a real live author!"
When I'm in the middle of things, not as many people read my stuff, of course, but I don't mind when they do. My sister often comes and reads stuff whilst I'm writing (over my shoulder, which makes me nervous), and I let Emma read everything she wants to.

So yes, I do let people read my writing. I don't mind stuff like that. ;-P

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?

Honestly, I've gotta be honest - I'm a girl who dreams huge, so it's to be a famous authoress. Best-selling, and all that. I cling and I hope and I believe God can bring me there if He has that plan for me. If that doesn't happen, however, I just hope to make people happy with books. Make my siblings and people-who-read-it HAPPY. I love cheering people up, and doing that via my writing is just my favourite thing on earth.



13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?

Write anyway.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?

Yes, a really nice romantic book. With serious stuff that don't sound weird and nonsensical. I'm good at writing funny nonsense, I am. But serious, beautiful, tear-jerking romances? I'm not ready for that yet. But I'm going to one day. :-)

15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?

You mean one of my stories?
At the moment I'm loving my 'Pen-Enemy.' I completely love Martin (at the moment, he's a grown up, and such a jolly sport) and I must say my little plot is heaven to write in.

Choose one of these questions and answer it in the comments!

(Okay mum. Please.)

12 comments:

  1. First off. YOUR HEADER. Utter drool-worthy gorgeousness. I forgot to mention it before, and I love it. My word, the COLORS.
    I can't really say I'm a writer, as I've said before, heh heh. The question I'm gonna answer is "List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey." I'd say Robin McKinley, C. S. Lewis, and E. Nesbit. And lots of others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should post some of your writing on your blog sometime! I would love to read a short story by you sometime. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answer one? I answered them all! On my blog, here. When I have time, I'll come back and comment more here, but right now, it's past my bedtime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You finished your first book when you were 12 or 13? WOW! I didn't write anything remotely book-length until I was finished with college. I'm impressed.

    Your bed looks very cozy! I like the color of your sheets, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was fun to read! (And Markus Zusak. YES. The tears were flowing.)

    I suppose I shall answer "List a few authors who've influenced your writing journey." While I don't really do much of any creative writing anymore (I used to…sad face), I think people's writing styles are influenced by their favorite authors (no, really?). So I'd have to say that my school/blogging writing style has probably been influenced the most by C.S. Lewis and Louisa May Alcott, as well as J.R.R. Tolkien, P.G. Wodehouse, and Elizabeth Gaskell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love editing, but it's still a huge struggle for me. I usually have about two WIPs seriously running as well, one that I'm drafting and one that I'm editing. I also usually have another idea or two or a million brewing in my head at the same time. It's so great that you are so comfortable with sharing your writing with other people. I share my writing for feedback, but sometimes I'm not brave enough. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhh, Naomi!!!! I clicked on your blog this morning and was SO tickled to see you had changed the design! It's so beautiful! Seriously, it seems like ti gets better every time. I love it. :-)

    And your profile picture is from Tuck Everlasting! Gaaahhhh, don't you just ADORE that dress. Have you seen the movie? My mom read the book and watched the movie, but I only saw part of it and that was years ago-- I don't think I was really interested. But anyway, the costumes are TO DIE FOR.

    I saw this questionnaire several days ago and had planned to do it, though obviously I haven't gotten around to it yet. (You see, I've been quite ill...yeah, it's a long story, I'll email you soon. ;-P) Even though most of this wasn't new to me, I loved reading your answers! :-)

    You named me as one of your inspirations! Awwww. That really made me happy. I feel so happy and blessed to have such a good writer buddy. :-)

    Oooh, I like your quilt. I haven't really seen it in pictures before, maybe cause it's so dark. It's very pretty.

    "I let Emma read everything she wants to." Haha, you make me sound so demanding! I'm not really, people. ;-P

    YES. Dream huge. Your wildest dreams can happen. God can do it. Isn't that the most exciting thought ever?!?

    I cannot WAIT to read more of Pen-Enemy. It's really adorable and original and I already love it.

    You're an amazing writer, Naomi! :-)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Elliot,
    Thanks! Haha, I've changed it AGAIN now, before I had time to answer to your comment. Oh yes, E. Nesbit! She writes so sweet.

    Elizabeth Anne,
    I *have* posted some of my writing on my blog. Quite recently, in fact. The posts are called 'Because some of you asked' and 'To see if you like this' and are under the tag 'Pen-Enemy.'

    Hamlette,
    Yes, aw thanks, I did finish my first book at thirteen-ish. It's not too bad, even.
    My grandma made my lovely quilt. It's really beautiful.

    Arwen,
    The Book Thief made me cry SO!!! That miserable ending!!!!!
    Oh, I love all the authors you listed - Wodehouse is hilarious. I should read some of his books again! Mmm.

    Ana,
    Oh me too - so many ideas, so many things to edit, so little time. I personally think sharing ones writing is really quite encouraging, because I always get feedback which makes me want to write more. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    Emma,
    First off- sorry for writing, 'I let Emma read anything she wants' - I didn't mean it in a demanding way, haha. Do you want me to change it? No readers, SHE IS NOT DEMANDING. *I* am, not she. ;-P
    Heehee, yup, I changed it again. Well, you did, which made me want to change mine. :-)
    No, I haven't seen Tuck Everlasting - I just found the picture and fell in love with the DRESSSS. So swoonworthy. Is the story any good? I'd like to see it.
    Oh, I'm sorry you've been ill - some of my younger siblings have terrible colds here, illness is part of winter. I'm lucky not to be ill (yet, haha). Anyway, it's my turn to email - I hope to do it on Saturday, dear. I'm just so busy. :-P
    The quilt isn't dark, actually - it's reddish and pinkish and rusty-ish. Oma made it. Aww, thanks honey. I'm basking under the pleasure of your compliments. I shall send you 'Pen-Enemy' when you ask. :-D

    Thank you for the comments everyone! You make my days (together with my lovely family and my room and my hobbies, and God, who literally makes them.)
    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this, Naomi! When you mentioned Lynn Austin it reminded me of something I wanted to tell you-I read Wonderland Creek and it was soooooooo good! I can't wait to try more from the author. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Natalie! You've read Wonderland Creek!! Thank you for telling me that - and sharing your love for it. It IS so good. Oh my goodness, all Lynn Austins books are lovely. My favourite is 'Hidden Places' and 'The Refiners Fire Series.' But I also love 'The Proper Persuit', 'Eve's Daughters' and of course, 'Wonderland Creek.' But yeah, 'Hidden Places', I must say, is my favourite. Together with the Refiners Fire series.
    Ahem. Yes. Just read them all. Haha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could I also ask you: Who's the girl in your profile picture? Which movie? It looks very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naomi~
    I will definitely get more of her books soon! (as soon as I finish the outrageous pile I have from the library and used bookstore...) If Hidden Places is your favorite, I'll have to get that one next! :)
    Oh yes, the girl is Lady Marian from the BBC Robin Hood tv series. I personally love the series (with just a LITTLE bit of caution due to content) and if you ever try it out please do tell me! I'm not sure if it'd be something you'd like, but then again maybe it would! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.