Friday, 17 July 2015

The Stereotype Busters: Oldest Sisters

WHAT-HO! (now and then I really have to use that word to start off a blog post. Today was one of those 'now and then's.)

Dear folks, do all of you follow Melody's blog? (You can find it here.) Melody's blog is one of my uber-favourites in this highly entertaining blogging world, mostly because practically ever blog post is centered around Jane Austen, which, y'know (or y'should know) is always a good idea. Anyway, Melody has started this thing called 'The Stereotype Busters' in which anyone who wishes to (which could very well include you or you or you) may write rants against those annoying pecsy stereotypes around the world. Because Stereotypes ANNOY us, right? (So head over to this post for information, if you're interested, and all that.)

Now, the Stereotype I'm going to prove the contrary to, are those 'Oldest Sister' Stereotypes. Yes, there are several, when it comes to that. Oldest Sister stereotypes rile me to no end, mainly because I am the oldest girl in a family of ten, and I feel I must defend myself. Heehee.

I'm going to talk about three Older-Sister-Stereotypes, but I'm going to focus most on the last one, because it's the one that irritates me the most. Please bare with me.


__________________________________________________________________
FIRST // THE STEREOTYPICAL PERFECT AND HELPFUL OLDER SISTER

Dear Jane Austen, I love you to itty-bits, but Jane Bennets do, frankly, not exist. At least not in my world.

So this older sister Stereotype sometimes gets paired with me. *Snort* No, not because people think I'm perfect. But because people assume that, because I'm the oldest girl in a large family, I spend the whole day changing diapers, cooking, cleaning, and being a 'second mother.' (Ugh I HATE that phrase. 'Second Mother.' If someone calls me that EVER again, I'm going to collapse in a frensie of fury.) (I am happy to say, though, that fewer people call me that now I'm older. But I got pestered with the entirely irritating phrase in my younger years a lot. *Shudder*)


That's an Very Annoying Older Sister Stereotype, people. That older sister who never complains.  That older sister who literally has no life aside from working at home and being a 'second mother.' That older sister who ends up being the old maid in books because she was too busy helping at home. YEAH, THAT.
But then, there's also the complete contrary...

__________________________________________________________________
SECOND // THE VAIN, BOY-CRAZY STEREOTYPICAL OLDER SISTER


Now we also have a completely different stereotype! Oh goodness, where do these all COME from? (I will make them disappear.)

You know what kind of stereotypical older sister I'm talking about now, don't you? That kind of 'going-out-of-the-house', 'I'm-OLD-enough', 'make-up-crazy', 'high-heels-primpy', '1000-boy-friends-at-the-same-time' kind of older sister. Sometimes slash rather often that kind of character gets shoved to the youngest sister (as in the case of Pride and Prejudice), but I've seen or read more than enough books or movies where the older sister is like this.

Often, such as in 'Cheaper by the Dozen' and 'Sound of Music' it will be the case of a slightly sheltered family, and the oldest girl will rebel by doing something like wearing a daring dress or cutting their hair or secretly going out to visit the telegram-boy. You get the point. Rebels and rather without-a-head-ish kind of girls.


Seriously, like, ARE there stories without vain oldest sisters? (Yes, there are. Of course.)

I find this Stereotype rather annoying, because, I admit it (there, don't say I don't tell you everything!), one of my worst fault is being rather... well, I am sometimes a bit vain. I do care what I look like. Don't most girls? But I'm not the stereotypical vain older sister at all - I'm kind of 'Meg March'-vain, not Scarlett-O'Hara-vain. I'm not the boy-crazy, loity-toitering in heels older sister at all, thank you very much.

And now we can move on to the 'main' one I'm talking about in this post. The Stereotypical older sister that gets so horrible misused in literature, cinema and real life. Are you ready for my rant? Because there's one.

__________________________________________________________________
THIRD // THE STEREOTYPICAL BOSSY OLDER SISTER

When I was younger, like eight or nine and soso, there were times when I HATED being the oldest sister, and the reason was not because I "had" to look after babies (snort, I rather enjoyed that, and I didn't have to at all, that's just a stereotype) and things like that. Nope, the reason was because I so often read books where the oldest sister was vain and bossy, while the younger sister was the fun, main character.

Now, the word "bossy." That's a strong word.

It is NATURAL for the older kids in families to, y'know... be protective. To kind of POINT OUT things. Like, if I see my little sister put her hand in a jar of jam, I'm not going to go 'okay, fine, bleh', I'm going to be practical and use my common sense and go, 'Nope! Don't do that. What are you thinking?' (I might add a Woosterish 'Well! Of all the bally NERVE!' for fun.) Us older kids are just... not being critical to anyone here, but often the older ones of the family just... kind of DO less silly things. And therefore they must point things out to prevent millions of stupid things to happen.

Elinor, just pointing something out. That's not being bossy.
So there's a difference between that kind of 'pointing-out-hey-there-just-stop-that-silly-thing-will-you-'bossy'', and the real-bossy-kind-of-bossy.

And what I HATE is that those two kinds - the 'just pointing out', what people sometimes unrightly call 'bossy', and the mean, 'GO AWAY'-evil-stepsister real kind of bossy - are always mixed up. Because of stereotypes. Like, people automatically think, 'Oh look, that's one of those mean bossy sisters again' immediately, without assuming the fact that there is a 'not-bossy-kind-of-bossy.' Am I talking nonsense, or do you kind of get it?

To show you the difference, here are some examples.

Let's start with Eliza Jane, shall we? Have you all read 'Farmer Boy'? That Little House book about Almanzo's childhood with all the food and horses? Yes, that one. Well, if you've read it, you'll surely remember the extremely annoying and bossy older sister, don't you? Eliza Jane. She doesn't let Almanzo do anything, let alone touch a crumb before dinner is announced. She, I admit it, is a rare mean sister. She is also the kind of stereotypical bossy sister. Just MEAN.

Now, you'll have to agree, this (Eliza Jane-bossy) is not the same kind of (let's-call-it)-bossy that, say Elinor Dashwood has. 
The first word that comes in my head to describe Elinor Dashwood is not 'bossy'. SO not. Elinor Dashwood is sensible and therefore has the need to point things out to her slightly-less-practical sisters and mother. Things like telling Marianne to please say more than just 'yes' and 'no' and stuff like that. That's not bossy, right?

And Mary Ingalls. I used to be the biggest Little House fan, ever, so I have my 'defending Mary Ingalls' paragraph all over-thought and ready for you. Mary Ingalls was written in the eyes of her very-different younger sister. If my younger brother or whatevs would write a book about his life I'm afraid there would be a rather big possibility of me being portrayed in a cringe-worthily stereotypical-bossy-sister (hopefully not as bad as Eliza Jane, though. Really, I do my best to be reasonable). Laura also often writes about how she admires Mary, so I'm sure Mary was a lovely girl. She and Laura had tons of good childhood memories together. Mary just felt the huge need to SAY those doggoned obvious things to Laura now and then, that's all. She was just being a good older sister.
So, please, everyone who has older sister, please do not go around and call them bossy (unless they are REALLY as mean as Drisella or Anastasia or Eliza Jane. But please, those are uber-rare.) I hate nothing more than being called bossy when I'm just pointing things out that need to be done or that SO need not to be done. It's a hard thing, being an older sister.

(Of course, I'm not critising any of the 'younger sisters' out there. Wouldn't dream of it, I wouldn't! I'm sorry if I offended you when I said that about the older sisters feeling the need to point out stupid things. I don't mean to say that you're stupid, not at all. Just, sometimes younger siblings can do disastrously WHAT THE PORRIDGE things. For instance, deciding to throw out all contents of the marble bag. Of COURSE I feel the need to tell them to tidy it up. That's not bossy.)

__________________________________________________________________
SOME OLDER SISTERS IN LITERATURE THAT AREN'T STEREOTYPICAL 

I often find myself sympathising enormously with the older sisters in movies and books, especially when they aren't portrayed in stereotypical ways (actually, ONLY when they aren't portrayed in stereotypical ways, heehee.)

I absolutely love Meg March. She does what older sister's do (y'know, point out things (that's not bossy, remember? ;-P)) and she has her faults, such as being carried away by the latest fashions and ball gowns, but she's sweet and has a darling original personality. She can be mistaken for a stereotype (in fact, that's why I didn't like her when I was younger - I thought, 'Oh, there you go. ANOTHER vain older sister'), but she really isn't.

I also love Elinor Dashwood, of course. She's a chump.

I love it when I come across a very quirky, very different older sister! I did so yesterday evening, when we watched 'Summer Magic.' Nancy Carey is a chirpy, chattery oldest girl, very good-natured, and a bit hot-tempered. She rather delighted me. :-)

Fanny Dorrit, in 'Little Dorrit', is by no means an older sister I heartily approve of, but she has a very un-stereotypical side to her too. She's hilarious and almost-sweet, under that silly stereotypical bossiness. She was a very kind of refreshing character, for an annoying older sister. I like Charles Dickens.


DO YOU GET ANNOYED BY OLDER SISTER STEREOTYPES?
OLDER SISTERS, HAVE YOU BEEN CALLED 'BOSSY'?
__________________________________________________________________

21 comments:

  1. Okay. *scrolls back up to the top* Let's begin. :-D
    I can relate to all of this because though I'm the 4th child, I am an older sister to my brother and sister who I share a room with. So yes, I totally understand and agree with all of this (and can also relate to being a little sister too - I think I am rather privileged).
    Haha, yep, that happens quite a lot! The "perfect" older sister. Yes, I know lots of (fictional ones) those. ;-)
    Haha, I also know of a lot of THOSE (vain, boy-crazy kind) in fictional stories too. Some of them I strongly dislike but others (such as Leisel) I really like. It really depends on the extreme side of it all.
    Oh, YES I know what you're talking about! Scarlett's vain-ness is so dreadfully horrible, but Meg's is such a innocent vain kind. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. :-)
    Haha, I know, I do that too. My little sister is the messiest person I've ever met (literally) and I'm a neat-freak so I am constantly asking her to pick up this and don't leave her mess everywhere. I don't MEAN to be bossy, but I suppose it may come across that way. In all seriousness, however, if I didn't say anything, our house would be a pig-sty. :-P
    No, you are not talking nonsense and yes I DO get it. :-D There are two types of bossy - the ridiculous extremely mean version, and the good intentions kind. :-)
    I think the older I become, the more I like Elinor. She really is a dear. I've always loved Mary Ingalls too. I think I am quite like her sometimes - although she is more 'sweet' and prettier than I. :-P (But I love Laura too - they are both so wonderful!)
    I agree with you - I love Meg too. ;-) (I wouldn't want a pen name with someone I dislike!) And I also agree with you about Charles Dickens. He is one of my favourite authors. (Despite his ridiculously large books. It took me two months to read the last one I picked up, and I'm normally considered a fast reader. I suppose it's because life is a bit more practical than reading novels a lot. *sigh*)
    To be honest, I never actually THOUGHT about older sister stereotypes, but I think yes, they do annoy me sometimes. And yes, I have been called bossy (when I had good intentions). ;-)
    Lovely post m'dear!
    ~Miss Meg March

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sitting here grinning and nodding my way through the whole post, haha! I am an oldest sisters myself and the Mean Bossy stereotype drives me MAD. "I'm not bossy! I just know what you should be doing!" -Pinterest

    As does the second-mother one. I couldn't count the number of times people have told me "oh, you must be SUCH a HELP to your MOTHER with ALL THOSE SIBLINGS!" or "it's like she has an EXTRA MOM to help out!" Blehhhhhh. First of all, we are a family of five children, which is not at all a monstrous number, so it annoys me when people act appalled that we would dare to have SO MANY, and also I am not the mom. My mom is the mom, thank you very much. (In fact, stereotypically-bossy Little Me was often reminded as a child that I was NOT the mom. Hahahahahaha.)

    But anyways... bravo for Meg and Elinor! Two of my very favorite oldest sisters. This was an absolutely delightful post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What d'ya mean, Jane Bennet does not exist??? Of course she exists. She exists and I ADORE her and I want to be just like her :) Of course, if you're talking about Susannah Harker's Jane, I get your point because she IS unrealistically wise and mature. But she isn't the real Jane Bennet. Rosamund Pike is the real Jane, and always will be :)

    Yeah . . . the "bossy" stereotype really bothers me, too, because it's just so not true that ALL older sisters are bossy in a mean way. And I will freely admit that, as a kid (I hope I've grown out of this now ;) ) I WAS sometimes too bossy. But I wasn't trying to be mean--I just wanted to make sure that things were going OK and everybody was behaving themselves.

    And yes, sometimes I did get kinda carried away and think (for a moment) that I WAS the mom. That's why the "second-mother" stereotype actually doesn't bother me too much . . . in a way, that was kind of who I WAS as a younger girl. But not (as it's so often depicted in literature) because circumstances FORCED me to be that way; just because that's kind of my personality. I've wanted to be a mother ever since I was four years old. And I mean, REALLY wanted to--like, that's basically my number #1 goal in life. So it's not too surprising that I've always tended to "practice" on my younger siblings . . .

    And of course, I'm NOT really the mother and I know that perfectly well. But I do have--and have always had--a lot of influence over my younger siblings, just by virtue of BEING the eldest sister. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think the whole "second-mother" phrase is a badly-expressed way of describing of something that is, or can be, very real.

    Do you ever get mistaken for the mom when you're out in public with your younger siblings? That happens to me a rather lot--and that IS a bit annoying. Like, once I went somewhere with my dad and my TEENAGED siblings and I got asked, "are you the mom?" At the time I was only 20 years old myself (I'm 21 now). Well, I mean. You'd think people could SEE, wouldn't you? My mom and younger sister assure me that it's not that I "look old," it's just that I "act mature." I hope they're right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. :D I enjoyed it even if I can't identify, haha. But I have to say at least that I don't think I could be accused of accepting these stereotypes! :)

    I am the 'baby' of the family... maybe I should write a post on that! "The youngest is always spoiled!" "Awww it must be fun to have everybody do everything for you." "You can get away with anything!" "Everything's easier for you because everyone else did it first!"
    :P
    ...okay, well, there is SOME truth in some of those things. Haha.

    I'm very flattered to be called one of our favourite bloggers. :) La, all you devoted fans... I really must post more. :P
    Btw, I totally didn't know you were British (at least enough to have an accent) when you were complimenting our "how about no", hahahaha. This pleases me. ;P

    Anyway! Thanks for joining in the fun!

    Ah, and Miss Dashwood-- the thing about you being reminded that you were NOT the mom rather amused me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Meg March, Yup, you are indeed very privileged to be able to relate to both older sisters and younger sisters. You can join any conversation then. :-) I know, I like Liesl too - she one of the rare 'vain-boy-crazy-kind' that I actually like.
    Heehee, I'm glad you know what I'm talking about about the vain-thing. It's TOTALLY different.
    Haha! I have SUPER messy siblings too. You just HAVE to tell them, right? Hee, thanks dear, I'm glad I wasn't talking nonsense in your eyes. It's so good to talk to someone who understands. :-)
    Yes, Laura is wonderful too! I also love Jo March and Marianne Dashwood. I am the second in my family (I have an older brother) so I can relate to 'second children' as well, which is cool. :-)
    I like Charles Dickens, but I have to confess he's not my favourite writer. Probably because is books are really SO large. Like, how does he not give up his drafts!!! :-O

    Miss Dashwood, Yes, I knew you were the oldest in your family, and ha! I just saw that Pin you quoted several days ago. Thoroughly agreed with it, of course. :-)
    Heehee, your little rant made me snicker a Lot. I knowww - the EXTRA MUM bit. Ugh, it's an irritation! And exactly, at home the siblings go, 'Nope! You're not my Mum' and 'Why do I have to listen to YOU? You're not my Mum.' We really have been placed in a hard position. (Haha.)
    Thanks a lot!

    Jessica Prescott, of course, of course, all I meant was that there are no people on earth who are SO PERFECT. (And hey, I like Susannah Harker. But we've talked about that already so please lets no do it again. :-P)
    Oh, of COURSE you want to be sure that everything was going OK. That's the good-kind-of-bossy. :-)
    I think it's a good thing to want to be a mother - and it's SO good for you that the 'second-mother' thing doesn't irritate you. It has definitely saved you a lot of teeth-gnashing, not minding it. :-) And of course, it's lovely to be a great help at home... I wasn't trying to imply that it wasn't.
    Oh, that once happened to me!!! IT WAS CRAZY. Ugh. But they always go afterwards, 'Oh, I THOUGHT you looked rather young.' Heehee. :-)

    Melody, Oh good, I'm glad you enjoyed it despite being the youngest.
    Yes, I can totally imagine the annoying youngest-member stereotypes! Especially the 'you can get away with anything' sounds SOOO annoying. Like that by the time you're old enough to do things your parents don't care anymore. :-P
    Well, you're welcome. :-) And yes, I am British. :-)
    Thank YOU for thinking of the splendid idea... looking forward to more Stereotype-rant-posts.

    Thanks for all the comments, dear people!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really good! I always loved Meg March and felt like she so was completely overshadowed by her sisters. Could you do a post about middle sisters/siblings, because as a middle child myself, I think middle children (especially girls) are horrifically stereotyped as the ugly, boring, overlooked sister (think Edith Crawley and Mary Bennett). Few exceptions have been Marianne Dashwood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was great, Naomi! The boy-crazy girls get on my nerves a lot. Especially when the boys are crazy about them in return. It's like "really, boys, that girl is nuts...don't go for her!" :) I've never known anyone who was as crazy about boys as some girls in movies. Certainly not my own sisters.

    About the perfect sister who never complains...yeah, that stereotype can get a little annoying because that is so not like real life (in my experience anyway). I don't mind taking care of my younger siblings, but I certainly don't relish it all the time. People can say you're like a second mother, but you're not really. You're their sister, plain and simple, and that's a whole lot different than a mother.

    I do boss my younger siblings around sometimes, but I like to think that it's more in the spirit of Elinor Dashwood *wink*...certainly not like the stepsisters! :) That would be horrid.

    Oh, I agree! Meg March is not stereotypical. She's such a neat character. Older sister-ish, but not overbearing to her younger sisters. Friendly, loving, somewhat vain--but at the same time satisfied with very little. In my opinion she's a very relateable character.

    I watched Summer Magic a long time ago, but I can't remember very much of it. It's so cool when you discover a "different" sort of charater.

    Ha ha! Fanny Dorrit! Yes, she is very different. I love those rare times when she actually shows some real sisterly affection for Amy. She's actually almost sweet. :)

    These stereotypical posts look like so much fun. (I love a good rant. My only worry is that I come across too strong when indulging in one.) You, by the by, did an excellent job. :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ivy Miranda, you should do a post on middle girls! I would love to read it, because I can imagine those annoying stereotypes can be so hard. Ouch yes, movies do do that a lot. But then there's Laura Ingalls and Marianne Dashwood, so you can think about those to console yourself. :-P
    Thanks for the comment!

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss March, haha, funny enough your comment popped up just before I published Ivy Miranda's comment answer. :-)
    Ugh, yes, the annoying boys go to the annoying girls and vice versa. I do know one or two older sisters who are a bit like that, but not HALF as bad as the ones in movies, thank goodness. :-P
    I know. Sisters and Mothers are SO different. They just AREN'T the same, even if they might do the same thing. Your mother GAVE BIRTH to you and your sister is just a sister. It's... different.
    Yes, I love Meg! She's adorable. I know, Fanny Dorrit can be almost sweet. :-)
    Oooh, you should do one! A Stereotype rant, I mean. I'm sure it would be lovely.

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me smile and giggle. I am the oldest child in my family and an only girl too. So here are my thoughts.
    Stereotype 1. Alert! Alert! Such perfect extremely nice and thoughtful sisters only exist in books and movies. Nobody is as nice as Jane Bennet, unfortunately:p I have never been called The Perfect and Helpful Sister so I can't say I've ever felt annoyed by being called so. Oh, and yes I was always told that I was a second mother, but I've never really acted like it :/

    Stereotype 2. This one is wrong because not just "older sisters" like boys, wear heels and makeup, or act all snobby. I mean sooner or later the middle and younger sisters will go through that stage. I think that should not be a stereotype but a personality type really. Because there are girls who are like makeup, heels, frilly stuff. BUT just because you're an older sister and likes to wear makeup, heels, and pretty things (like me!) does not mean you're stereotype #2

    Stereotype 3. Unfortunately #3 is true for me :'( Yes, I am a very bossy and, sometimes mean older sister. Ooooh, that hurt to write! BUT NOT ALL OLDER SISTERS ARE BOSSY! My mom is an older sister and she is not bossy at all, at least not like me. However! I do think Naomi is right as to why we might be bossy. As older children we are more protective, we're aware of more things and thus consequences too. So of course we're going to point out to sibs whatever wrong thing they might be doing. It's just how it is.
    I think my rant might have been too long! If you read it thank you!
    And to Naomi, this post was great! I love posts like this where you really get to share your thoughts. Thanks:)

    ~Kristen.
    DreamaCrochet on Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm . . . but, Naomi, Jane Bennet ISN'T perfect--at least IMHO. Of course she's wonderfully sweet and good-hearted and generous, but she trusts people too much when they don't deserve it, and she doesn't speak up for herself enough. Those are kind of flaws, aren't they? A really "perfect" or "completely well-rounded" person would assert themselves more, I think--although in a nice way, of course.

    Yeah--I've thought about it a bit more and I think that when people say the whole "second mother" thing, what they REALLY are referring to is more like an "aunt." That is, an older sister who helps a whole lot with the younger ones can sometimes be sort of "aunt-like" as well as being a sister. At least, it seems that way sometimes with me and my siblings :) It's a way better analogy, I think, because you only have ONE mother but you can perfectly well have many aunts.

    Yep. The problem is, though, with me they DON'T necessarily respond with "oh, yeah, I thought you looked kind of young." Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't pretty much the majority of girls "bossy"? Maybe its just because I'm from a big family that I think that. I am the 7th child of 12 and the 3rd girl out of 4 girls. I am currently the eldest at home so I know what its like being one of the younger siblings and an older sibling.

    All of the girls in the family are considered "bossy" from the boys. I think the reason girls are termed bossy is because they have so much responsibility at home. Girls were made to oversee a home and be moms.

    But I would agree that firstborns are termed "bossy" by the majority. And I would say because first borns have a lot more responsibility than younger siblings.

    I think a lot of "bossiness" has to do with our brain types. Take Elinor and Marianne for instance. Elinor is the eldest but she also a ISTJ (my brain type by the way...) Which means she's an Introvert, Sensing, Thinking and Judgement. And I'm not quite sure what Marianne is but I would say she probably is an ENFP. (Extravert, Intuition, Feeling and Perceiving.) If you read up on those specific words than you would see how Elinor naturally is "bossier".

    That's just my two sense ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, yes, YES! I was nodding and grinning throughout this whole post.

    As an older sister myself to a rather impulsive, reckless preteen boy, I get called "bossy" by him all the time-- ironically, it's only when I'm genuinely NOT telling him what to do. Just pointing out that I'm about to vacuum his room or that the front door is open or some random fact like that. *shrugs*
    I'm trying to be better about *asking* him to do things more, or keeping quiet, but good gravy, there are times when I literally cannot just NOT tell him. "I'm sorry, but I can't help it-- I have to keep you safe! Sometimes I can see what's going to happen when you don't think of it! As your sister, I'm VERY protective of you. I do this because I love you, okay?"

    Ahh, the struggles of not-bossy-bossiness. Being the eldest can be hard at times-- but really, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)
    Thanks for this post; it was a delight!

    --Emily

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha, this was SO great, Naomi!
    Now....ahem..I have to admit I can fall into one of the stereotypical categories...I used to be very bossy. I like to think I've gotten better in that area, but I can definitely relate to that.....and oh my, hahaha your "sometimes younger siblings can do disastrously WHAT THE PORRIDGE things"...so true.
    That's funny you mention the mom thing because when I was younger (and more bossy heehee) my parents would tell me NOT to be the "mini mom". I liked to tell my little brother what to do way too much. hahaha
    Anyways, absolutely smashing post, m'dear! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm an older sister, and I got called bossy, but the truth is, I AM rather bossy sometimes. Generally when nothing will happen if I don't get everyone to do things, and the way to do that is often to tell them what needs to be done, which is bossing at its most basic. Happily, now I'm a mom and am totally expected to boss my 3 kids around, so it's all good :-D

    I'm not vain, though, or perfect. I love being helpful in general, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristen,
    Thanks for your comment. :-) I'm not the only girl in my family, though - I'm the OLDEST girl, but I have four younger sisters.
    Yeah, true about Stereotype 2. But it's just that in a lot of movies there will be an oldest sister who does that. It IS kinda a stereotype. Like, in the Sound of Music - Liesl is a bit boy-crazy and I'm-old-enough-ish, while Louisa, who's a teenager as well, isn't. That's a bit stereotypical, I think.
    Oh, m'dear, I'm sure you're a great older sister! You shouldn't be too hard on yourself, really. :) I know, I know! Not all older sisters are kind of 'bossy.' That's what I was pointing out - how the stereotypes are wrong. :-)
    Of COURSE I read your comment. Sink me, I love rants. :-) Thanks!

    Jessica,
    Okay, I take the Jane-thing back. :-) That's so true... she DOES have flaws.
    Yeah, older sisters can have a kind of 'aunt'-figure. Good point!
    Aww, don't worry. At least you don't look like an uber-young teenager. Some people I know have problems with that. When my mum had only three kids or something (she was about twenty-four at the time) some people would ask her 'where the Mum was.' It annoyed her a lot. You see, they thought she was the sister. :-)

    Kristalyn,
    Yeah, I suppose there are a lot of girls who just KNOW BEST. :-) Haha. Yeah, I think that might be true (although I think girls can do other things than just 'be at home', though. Not that being at home is BAD, or anything!) :-)
    Yeah, older siblings DO have more responsibility. Jesus Himself was the oldest in His family - I often wondered how He did the 'what-people-call-bossy' kind of thing, don't you?
    I am an ISFP. It's interesting about the brain types, isn't it? I'm sure your 'bossy' (ugh, I'm getting sick of the word 'bossy'! Haha)- ness will depend on that. :-)

    Emily,
    Ohhh! I can SO relate. You just HAVE TO SAYYYY it. Just, you can't NOT. I feel like that so often. I think, 'Nope. Naomi. Don't say it. Just ignore it.' But then it bothers me SO much and I NEED to. :-P Oh la la, it's hard. :-P
    I wouldn't have it any other way, either.

    Natalie,
    Hee, thanks so much!
    I know right?!! Like, one of my brothers decided to make 'chocolate milk' from mud the other day. How Does He Think Of Even Doing That?! Just, What the PORRIDGE!!! :-)

    Hamlette,
    Yeah, as a mum you can be 'bossy' without getting called so. That must be rather nice, in a way. :-) (Although hard too, because you can't escape being 'bossy'. :-))
    I know, so often to GET. THINGS. DONE. You just need to boss around a little bit.

    Thanks for all the delightful comments! I had no idea this post would be so 'reacted'-upon. :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're right, Naomi--I think I would actually be even more annoyed to be mistaken for somebody younger, rather than older. Like, I know one woman who told me that, as a college graduate taking her first job, she was told "you need to go back to high school" because people thought she still looked like a teenager!! Wouldn't that just be THE LIMIT? I should be grateful that at least I'll never have to deal with THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, it has actually been an idea of mine and I will probably do a post in the near future. Although, I do like hearing other people's opinions too : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Naomi, I agree that women can do things outside of the home but I think that the woman's priority should be her home when she gets married and has kids. The Bible does say that "...the woman's feet abide in her house." But I'm all for girls pursuing things that they enjoy.

    Haha... I suppose writing bossy is extremely tiring to you after how many times you've written it ;)

    On a side note...I find it extremely fascinating that you live in Belgium! I don't know of anyone who can speak a language other than English than a few friends that know Spanish (I live in Texas USA). My older sister nannied for a family a few years back and she has been to a lot of countries in Europe (Lived in Germany for 3 months). But I'm not sure if she went to Belgium. I should ask her :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. *clears throat* Eliza Jane isn't THAT horrible!! Haha, do you remember when Almanzo threw the tar brush on the parlor wall? She cleaned it up like a wonderful sister would! :D Sorry, had to defend Eliza there. ;) You see, I am the second oldest sister (and sometimes feel like the oldest since my older sister is 3 years older than me and is going to college) and sometimes you have to be a "mean" sister. lol Haha, I loved this post though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Naomi (what a lovely name!),
    I am new to this blog, but I just wanted to say that I think it is totally awesome! I love the rose-pink color.
    You know, I have to say, that I don't think Jane Bennet is perfect - although I do love her :-)
    And YES! Elinor Dashwood is a chump - absolutely! The word "bossy" cannot apply to her AT ALL. She was doing what older sisters often have to do - pointing things out. And with the mother and sister she had, I think she did remarkably well. I have five younger siblings you know.
    By the way, I thought you might like to know that "jessica prescott" is my sister. She is my OLDER sister, too, I might add - and a GREAT one! (I should explain, "Rosie McCann" is no more my real name than hers is "jessica prescott".)
    I was reading some of your older posts - please keep up the good work! You had me laughing 'till the tears came . . . THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.