Monday, 18 April 2016

Here's a poem I wrote at the age of 12 on the story of Pride and Prejudice.

I am not a poem person. I think it's pretty and I love the flowery whimsical-ness now and then, but to sit down and read it and enjoy it? No. Unless it's Dr Suess-type-poetry, which isn't really poetry, it's just rhymes and rhythms, but I could read Dr Suess books all day. Anyway, in honour of Hamlette's poetry month celebration, here's a comical kind of ditty I wrote on the story of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, when I was about twelve and my infatuation for the story was blossoming in its early blossoms.

 
____________________________________________________________

There are many books,
About people who are rich and have nice looks,
Pride and Prejudice is one of them,
with only one or two crooks

Lizzie meets Mr Darcy in a ball,
Looking very sad but tall,
He says he never takes a dance,
He stands silent, never listening to a call

Mrs Bennet loves Mr Bingley, a man she meets,
She lets Mary quote him a story by Keats,
But Mr Bingley is not interested,
He only likes Jane's French pleats!

Then Mr Collins comes, a man, very rare,
He is the house's next heir,
Mrs Bennet wants her house forever and says,
"Lizzie, I insist you on marrying him, there!"

Lizzie says no, and Mrs Bennet is upset,
Collins goes away and marries another lady he met.
"Oh Mr Collins!" cries Mrs Bennet,
"Lizzie would be better, that's what I bet!"

Then the youngest, Lydia, very very wild,
She goes away with Wickham, but she's only a child!
Wickham is a bad thief,
Who's not at all mild.

In the meantime, Darcy loves Lizzie, and she back,
Together those two have nothing they lack,
Jane marries Bingley, and Darcy marries Lizzie,
Together they have a lot of love- a whole stack!

____________________________________________________________


"A whole stack. " HA. Ha.

(I know. Absolutely and absurdly ridiculous (and I remember laughing while writing it as a 12-or-something-year-old) but I thought it might provide some shallow entertainment for some of you. You're welcome, and have a good day even if 99% of it is schoolwork, as it is in my case.)

22 comments:

  1. That is CUTE.

    Dr. Seuss is actually poetry--did you know that? Yes, it is. So you DO like reading poetry, if you enjoy Dr. Seuss. Just throwing that out there. :-)

    What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book, btw? Just curious because I'm also a huge fan of his :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, goody. :-) My favourite Dr Suess book? A tie between 'Green eggs and Ham' and good ol' 'Cat in the Hat.' (Probably the latter.)

      Delete
    2. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . I LOVE "Green Eggs and Ham"!!!! It's just so much fun to read out loud :-)

      For all-time favorites, I think I'd have to either go with "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" or "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" I can't choose between 'em though--they're both awesome :-)

      Delete
  2. That's great! It gave me a good chuckle or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that was cute. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite good poetry actually. You touched on the major plot points and your poem has a charming beat. Also it is funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! I had not expected such compiments. :-)

      Delete
  5. Very few things actually make me laugh outwardly; out loud. I will laugh at things inside, but not outside. But THIS--this made me laugh. Outside. Quite, quite amusing. I used to have a poetry streak too when I was about that age, and my poems were about that level of skill. :) Very amusing, and actually pretty good, at least for a 12-year-old! It was a very good summary of P&P. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU. I LOVE it when people laugh out loud while read my stuff. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hee! It's very cute :-) I especially liked "But Mr Bingley is not interested/He only likes Jane's French pleats!" Totally appropriate for the blog celebration, and I'm adding your link to the list now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was cute...an excellent synopsis in rhyme. I concur with Jessica regarding Dr. Seuss. Please see my poem...Ode to Dr. Seuss.
    http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2016/04/april-is-poetry-month-april-20-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Lizzie, I insist you on marrying him, there!" XD Delightful!

    ~Rilla Blye

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! My name is Elizabeth, and I am new to your blog! I found your blog through another blog I follow. The title of your blog "Wonderland Creek" caught my eye because I just started reading the book Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austen today for the first time and am loving it! Love your blog!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog, Elizabeth!! (And for commenting!)
      Ohhh, enjoy Wonderland Creek by Lynn Austin - one of my favourite books. (Yes, I did name this blog after it. Mainly because it sounds pretty, but also because I love the book. :-D)

      Delete
  10. Ha, that is brilliant!!! I WISH I had discovered Jane Austen at 12, but I didn't for a very BAD reason. You see, I was in Bronte form at school, so I read Jane Eyre etc in Year 7 but Austen form were our enemies (you know what I mean- not really enemies but they and Paton house were our nearest rivals) and so I didn't read Austen because they were the enemy. It was only seeing the TV adaptions in about 2005 that made me finally read them! SAAAAAAAAAAAD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha!!! So cute! I think this is better than anything I would have written at 12. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha... aww. That's really cute. ;) (And yes, I can read Dr. Seuss books all day too! They're SO MUCH FUN.) This was all very amusing... and I definitely giggled out loud. :D (Some of those lines, though... "But Mr Bingley is not interested/He only likes Jane's French pleats!" "Wickham is a bad thief/Who's not at all mild." "Together they have a lot of love- a whole stack!" Just... ALL OF IT. It's so entertaining! I love it. :D (You've already seen one of my poems I wrote, when I was 10, on Emma's blog when I did her Society of Literary Ladies interview. I think little kids' poems are some of the cutest things ever. :D)

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, children's poems are the best. :-) Thank you for your sweet note. (I wrote note because I have the feeling I use the word 'comment' to much around here, haha.)

      Delete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.