Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Why I often like flirty(ish) characters in movies.


This is going to be a hard post to write, because no, I don't approve of flirting. Well, if there's a mutual serious love, then flirting is fine. And one can show signs of affection by mildly-flirting-define-flirting, I think, to a certain extent. But to bat your eyelids at strangers and all that jazz - I see it as shallow and unladylike behaviour. So bear that in mind - I'm not telling you that I approve 150% of what Lydia Bennet and those girls do. No sir.

However, there is a quality in those girls that I very much admire.

Their smiles. Their cheerfulness. The way they make other people smile. The way they make fun of themselves.

That I admire a lot. They're so happy - and genuinely so. Of course, between you and me, they are often happy for a ridiculous reason (Lydia: "Oh look, there's Denny. HAHAHA.") but they smile a lot, they make the best of situations, and they find hilarity in ridiculous things, which I just plain LOVE. Of course, there are times in which one ought to be serious, but there are sooo many time when one should just laugh and dust things over with a cheery spirit - and those 'flirty' girls in movies often possess that quality. And I like that. I love watching it. (Which is why I enjoy watching Lydia Bennet a lot + Julia Sawalha is amazing.)


Also, they easily make fun of themSELVES. Which boyyy, more people should do. Sometimes one should just laugh at themselves; because we're all such hilarious things, if you think about it. We're bits of skeleton and bits of skin and we all stand and talk and sleep and put things in our mouth??? I mean, that's hilarious. Laugh at that.

Of course, as I said before, there are times to be serious, and to take each other seriously. Like, if your friend comes to you with tears in her eyes and a heavy heart, you shouldn't go, 'HA HA, funny, water droplets coming out of eyes.' I mean, that's plain mean. But there are so many times in our lives when we could make situations so less awkward, or so less boringly serious if we just didn't take ourselves so terribly serious the whole time. (I suddenly realise I'm basically quoting this Mind the Gap episode.)

I like that. Lydia Bennet doesn't take herself seriously ENOUGH (duh, at all) but I do admire her personality to a certain extent. Cynthia Kirkpatrick is a spoilt girl with ridiculous hairstyles, but she doesn't take herself too seriously the whole time ("You know enough of me to know me capable of that!") and I like it. Rose from Downton Abbey is pretty boy-crazy (which is annoying) but she's so happy and cheerful that the whole room laughs with her (well, not always, but you know what I'm trying to say here.) And that, dear people, is an admirable quality to possess.


And Trixie from Call the Midwife - she's flirty ("... how do you know I'm not dazzled by your gaze?") and she's always talking about boys (just... stop) - but I really really love her. She's so happy and colourful, and she has such a warm, warm heart. I love Trixie. (Also, her FASHION sense is just ridiculously gorgeous.)

So lets be cheerful and interesting and lets not take ourselves too seriously the whole time. But lets also keep that sensible-ness and take ourselves serious enough to make good decisions. :-P Basically what I'm trying to say with this post: I often like the flirty-ish characters in movies, and here's why. Explained. The end.

29 comments:

  1. Another character like this? Rhett Butler! He doesn't take anything seriously, until the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Rhett. Of course I could rely on you to help me there. :-)

      Delete
    2. Rhett Butler makes me want to throw things at my computer screen. :-P

      Delete
  2. ADORABLE post, Naomi! AAAHHHH! You're just TOO much fun! This post really made me smile! :D "'HA HA, funny, water droplets coming out of eyes.'" Hahaha! That part made me laugh out loud...well sort of. I kind of stifled it because a bunch of my siblings were walking into the room and I didn't want to appear weird or have a whole bunch of questions fired at me about "what was so funny?" ;) So, actually, I guess it made me laugh out loud...on the inside. If that makes ANY sense. Heehee.

    I understand what you mean. The flirty girls can certainly be very entertaining. And we could definitely learn from their cheerfulness...minus their lack of sense, of course. ;P

    Ah! Rose. She annoyed me at first, but I really appreciated her by the end. She grew up a lot and was more sensible, but still kept her fun, playful personality, which I really appreciated. :)

    Who's the girl in the first picture?

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA THANKS!!!! I'm so glad you think I'm even slightly amusing... :-) Thank you!
      I know, I really loved Rose by the end. She really matured, didn't she?

      That's Trixie in Call the Midwife! ;-)
      Thanks for commenting, dear!

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU for covering this topic, because honestly, I don't think I could have put it into words myself. I am always at battle with myself on whether to be more mature and serious, or bubbly and fun, and perhaps even silly. But your examples of some admirable traits in these "flirty" girls was super helpful! And I looked at that Mind the Gap espisode, and now I'm hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Sometimes I'm like, 'Okay, I'm gonna be serious.' And then I think, 'No, I've got to be cheerful.' It is a constant battle. :-P I'm glad this helped a bit!
      Ohh, Mind the Gap is awesome. (I especially love their recent ones about homeschoolers. :-))

      Delete
  4. Loved this post i do find people like Lydia and Rose annoying but not their smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, its so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia Bennet . . . mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

    I'm glad she can laugh. Really, I am. BUT she gets on my nerves most severely, and I can't really separate her cheerful-ness from the rest of her behavior. She's just not my type. You know what I mean?

    You're absolutely right about not taking ourselves too seriously, though. Like, that IS very, very important.

    You know something? I have such a hard time relating to so many of the female characters in movies and books. It's kind of weird. That's one reason I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited about the character of Angelica Schuyler in the new musical "Hamilton," because I GET her. We're actually kindred spirits, and I hardly ever find that in fiction. When she says, "I've been reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine--so men say that I'm intense or I'm insane," I'm like, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

    But the good thing is, she doesn't take herself too seriously, either. She likes to joke and have fun . . . she's not ACTUALLY intense or insane. It's just that people SAY she is. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean, yes. I knew you didn't like her - I mean, I'd GUESSED, judging from the other characters you don't like as much. :-P I do love her cheerfulness, I think we'd get along well if she toned down a bit more seriously. :-)

      I haven't got into Hamilton yet, but Angelica sounds cool! :-)

      Delete
    2. You guessed right :-) I think it's basically a matter of personal taste--like, you don't mind silly/flirty characters, even when they're silly; and I don't mind depressed characters, even when they're depressed. It's all about who you are as a person.

      SHE IS. I have no idea if "Hamilton" would be your sort of thing or not--there's a fair amount of Language and Innuendo involved--but the music and the characters and the story are just AWESOME. Does Emma like "Hamilton"? If she does, maybe you can ask her if you'd like it, because she knows your tastes a bit better than I do :-)

      Delete
  7. I certainly don't agree with flirting either. But I do agree that being a cheerful person that brings smiles to other people's faces and being able to laugh at oneself is a good quality.

    Sarah
    sewcharacteristicallyyou.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this post, and I agree that laughing and taking oneself lightly are important things! This reminded me of a quote by one of my favorite authors, G. K. Chesterton: "Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly. Satan fell by the force of gravity."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! That is a hard topic to write about but I think you're right. :) There's a part of me that loves Lydia... I blame Julia Swahala! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a teenager, I was friends with a group of girls from the windband I was in and went to a fair few gatherings and parties with them. They were all cheerful in this way you describe and 'good at flirting'. I wished I could be more socially comfortable around the crowd but I was not a flirty person. I did find it a bit much sometimes! I stopped hanging out with them after a while as they were all just about boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally love this post! Yes, I don't approve of silly, mindless flirting, but I have always admired bubbly, cheerful girls. It's definitely a good thing to not take yourself TOO seriously. (cough, Mary Bennet, cough) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Natalie! <3 (Yes, Mary Bennet. Good example, haha.)

      Delete
  12. Noohh! Seriously! XD You have that "visiting Emma"-thing on the sidebar??
    You're REALLY looking forward to meet her, aye? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! I'm visiting her in June! SO excited. (If you click on the pink box you'll go to the post in which I announced it. Just in case we were wondering about more detail!)

      Delete
    2. Yes I've read the post ;)
      And I'm SO excited about it! (Hope I'd have such a friendship like yours...)

      Delete
  13. (WOOT! I'M RIPPING THROUGH THE POSTS! Only about... 12 more to go. :P)

    Haha, yes, I can totally understand what you're getting at. I dislike silly flirting that causes sticky situations and problems, but when girls are happy, bubbly and don't take themselves seriously... I like those kinds immensely, and I try to be like them. :D
    Yes, you DID sound like that first Mind the Gap episode (that's what I was thinking!). You also sound like the lastest post Petie wrote on the Grafted magazine site - it's actually one of the best things I've read lately! Here's the link to it: http://www.graftedmagazine.com/embracing-the-awkward/ :)

    Rose looks like someone I would really like. (The character, I mean.) Maybe it's the fact that Lily James plays her... ;D

    I shall try my best to be cheerful and interesting and to take myself less seriously, dear. :D

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOOOOVE all the comments I'm getting of you in one go. I felt so so happy reading them all. :-)

      Ohh, I'll check out Petie's article. I like the way she writes. :-) Yes, you'd like Rose - (maybe not in the beginning; but she really improves as the story goes on.)

      (Are you the one who wrote the comment above about me and Emma. I'm 99.999% sure you are, so I'll reply here too: YES. I AM THAT EXCITED.)

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
    2. Haha, thank you. ;)

      I want to watch Downton Abbey. Someday I will.

      Okay, so I hate to make you feel 'oh-whoops-my-bad-then' but no, I didn't write the comment about you and Emma. ;) (I read it and yes, it does sound like me. :P) I was actually going to comment about that exact same thing, only... I forgot. Typical. So, lemme just say, I think it's really cool and if I were you I could spend hours watching the time tick down to when I could visit Emma. ;D

      ~Miss Meg

      Delete
  14. I am a very serious girl myself, so I have trouble relating to flirty girls like the ones you mentioned. Most of the time I can't even understand them at all. BUT, I do enjoy being around happy people, so I guess that counts for something :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aasklgjhl, this post makes me happy :D

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.