Thursday, 7 April 2016

"And if I do go to prison... well, it's all experience."



I hate missing out on good movies. :-P (Currently whenever I think of Downton Abbey Season six and Brooklyn I shed a tear or two. (Well, maybe not.)) But it's just that I want to see them so badly, and I can't seem to do so. Either I'm too poor of a student or either I have no friends with good movie tastes who actually own the dvd for me to borrow.

In any case, my not-having-seen-agony only multiplied recently, having discovered this - this - this EXCELLENT THING called "The Great War: The People's Story." (Let me tell you, it looks like absolute corking stuff.) It's a documentary, but it stars real classic Period Drama actors and actresses including Romola Garai and Claire Foy. And it's about WW1 and IT LOOKS AMAZING. (I count on you to go and watch the video I so kindly embedded above for you. Go now. Onetwothreego.)


(Romola Garai looks splendid in every era, right-ho, followers all?)

So basically this amazing documentary (which I have obviously not yet seen but I just know it's amazing because I was, unlike Elizabeth Bennet, born with good prejudging skills) is about actual real WW1 letters various different people have found throughout the years in attics and basements and old dark drawers or whatever. These true stories are read out and acted out by actors in WW2 settings and costumes. The stories of these unknown random WW1 heros and heroines are bought to life.


(LOOOK. It's AMY DORRIT.)

The costumes look like absolute tickety-boo (as our dear friend Chummy would say), and I spotted several familiar faces, including our dear Mrs Bennet! Indeed, it took me several looks, but indeed there is Alison Steadman sporting a very calm and sensible character. (Here's a splendid picture of her in Edwardian array.) And Romola Garai! Of course she needed to be in another Costume Drama - she hasn't done that many, heh. And look, there's Claire Foy too - absolutely smashing the skirtwaist and blouse and pompadour. And Fisher Bloom from Lark Rise looks hardly recognisable with a Kitchener moustache. (I spotted him, though. ;-P)
(Other Period Drama actors include the handsome James Norton (Belle, Death comes to Pemberly) and Edna from Downton Abbey.)


LOOK HOW CUTE IT LOOKS. (*faints*)

If you've seen this: I envy thee and thy skills for having captured this documentary into your possession. Or I envy thy skills on having found this beauteous documentary on the realms of the interwebs. (I cannot find it anywhere. And Amazon has decided to sell it for a whopping 3000 pounds, or something near the like.) Have you seen this? (And will you dare to tell me and face jealousy? :-P)

(PS. If you don't get the title, you obviously haven't seen the video I so kindly embedded for you.)

35 comments:

  1. Oh my, I have to watch this!!! I can't find it either...and 3,000 pounds??! Sorry, can't afford that :D Someone put it online, please! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did exaggerate with the 3000 pounds. :-P (I'm gald this captured your attention, too!)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! Could definitely be heartbreaking to watch since it is a nonfictional account. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that looks wonderful! Aw, I'm sorry you aren't able to see those movies! Sometimes I get frustrated when a really good movie (cough*aroyalnightout*cough) doesn't make it to my movie theater OR my library!
    If you wanted to learn more interesting things about World War 1 (minus the pretty clothes and scenery sadly), there is a Youtube channel called The Great War, and it has a ton of dense, but interesting videos.
    Thank you for kindly embedding the video! ;) I loved watching it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yes, I haven't seen A Royal Night Out yet EITHER. :-D
      Oh, I'll check it out... Thanks, Abby!

      Delete
  4. I love Romola Garai! I first encountered her in I capture the castle at about 3am on a flight back from Singapore to England after my year's sojourn in Bali and I was smitten, but devastatingly, they stopped the film 20 minutes before the end for landing- I seriously wanted to murder someone at that point considering they made us sit and watch the boring air for the next 20 mins whilst landing!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. It was my ELEVENTH blogiversary celebrations yesterday over at my blog- I am having a little giveaway and a bit of a waffle about my blog wisdom (scoffs at self!) if you wanted to come over and say Howdy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, I haven't seen "I capture the castle", but that sounds SO frustrating that they ended it before the ending. :-(
      Ohhhh, happy blogiversary!!! I'll check out your words of wisdom. :-)

      Delete
    2. YOU.NEED.TO.SEE.IT!!!!!!!! It is brilliant!!!

      Delete
  6. If you will calm down, the documentary is available on Amazon in the U.S. (reasonably) So maybe you could do that while you are here visiting Emma? You probably couldn't take it home because of the DVD region thing, but you would at least get to watch it.

    Sarah
    sewcharacteristicallyyou.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've calmed down. :-)

      But that's good news though - I will definitely look into it. :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you have cooled off a bit. :-) Oh, and I should add, that in the U.S., it is apparently known as "World War One, The People's story".

      Sarah
      sewcharacteristicallyyou.weebly.com

      Delete
  7. OH MY GOODNESS I JUST NEED TO SEE THIS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this. You're not alone. ;)

    I DID see the video you so kindly embedded, however, and it looks most intriguing! Claire Foy looks so darling. Well, she always looks darling. (And also is Fisher the guy that said something about "ADORING" someone? I'm pretty sure he is. ;))

    Also. I saw Belle last night. *splutters* I... I'll tell you about it in an email. ;D

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was Fisher. :-)

      YOU SAW BELLE. AND YOU LOVED IT. EMAIL ME QUICK.

      Delete
  9. No, I haven't seen it. But that looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHH. AHH AHH AHH.

    It looks really good. WE MUST WATCH IT.

    (And I'm still confused that you think James Norton is handsome. I just...don't get it. But that's okay.)

    ~Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, he's not terribly handsome but there's something so handsome about him. :-) (Yes, I do think he's handsome. :-P SO DERE.)

      Delete
    2. OKAY. :-D (No really, I get it. There are some people I think are good-looking and I don't know why.)

      Delete
    3. Girls, seriously... I do think James Norton is handsome. I saw him in Death Comes to Pemberly and didn't think him anything special, but then I saw some parts in War&Peace, and fell in love. There's just something about him :)

      Delete
  11. WhHhHHHaaaatTT?? *splutters incoherently* ROMOLA GARAI AND CLAIRE FOY!! It's SO PRETTY. No, I hadn't known about it :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I REALLY want to see this!! It looks incredibly good! Thanks for putting that video in.:)

    ~Rilla Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh! This sounds intriguing. And so many recognizable actors! It would be cool to see Clare Foy in something other than Little Dorrit. Have you ever seen her in anything else?

    Oh! I do hope you get to see this sometime! It sounds like your cup of tea. :) Thanks for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've only seen Claire Foy in Little Dorrit - I really want to see her as Queen Elizabeth in 'The Crown', though. (Yet another movie on my long To-see list.)

      Delete
  14. This one I really do want to watch. I MEAN COME ON IT'S A DOCUMENTARY AND IT'S ALSO A PERIOD DRAMA AT THE SAME TIME.

    Love this :-) I'm going to watch the little clip as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooooo!! Looks interesting and I recognized Romola right away!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks so good! It helps that I adore the song in the trailer, haha. "Arrival of the Birds" is so pretty! But anyways, thank you for sharing this! I will definitely have to look into it!! :)

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks like it would be Amazing. And very, very, heart-wrenching, considering it is true stories about WWI. World War stories seem to always be so sad (I mean, think of Rilla!) and true ones...!!! I feel like I would just adore it while sobbing the whole time. (Except that I don't sob. The tears would just run down my face.) Well, now I want to see it but I highly doubt I could find it anywhere either. Ah, well...

    ReplyDelete
  18. THIS LOOKS AMAZING AND I AM DYING TO SEE THIS NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so looking forward to seeing this! Some of my favorite Actors/Actresses!! Claire Foy, Ramola Garai, Matthew McNulty, and James Norton (who is fast becoming a favorite :) )I haven't heard about it, so thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, wow yes, this dóes look really good! I did a little googling and I found the series for watching at this site: http://www.watchseries.li/serie/the_great_war_the_people_s_story
    It's an annoying website, with lots of popups and things to click away, but it mostly works.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.