Monday, 27 October 2014

Gone with the Wind // Favourite costumes


I don't love this movie, but I do like it. A lot. The main reason? The costumes. The twirling, wirling, delicious, frilly hoop-skirts... just too awesome-saucy for words, no? If there would be no pretty costumes I would not like this movie. THE DRESSES IN HERE ARE AMAZING. Here's to my favourite Gone with the Wind costumes. Let's start!

 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's Red Christmas dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Scarlett's red Christmas dress has a sweet ruffled top, long billowing red hoop skirts, and a white ribbon around the waist. Although I think I could do without the weird ribbon, I absolutely adore this dress - especially the top white-with-red-stripes bit. It's just too adorable!

 
 
  
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's Green Barbeque Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Scarlett's Green barbeque dress is probably one of her famous ones. And no wonder! It's absoblumelutely adorable! The ruffled neckline (of course, a little too low, as Mammy pointed out-) is adorable, the velvet waistband, the green ribbons, and - of course - the huge hoop skirts. I'm going to repeat how much I love the hoop skirts many more times in the post. :-) Stay warned.
 
 



 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's Blue Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Scarlett's Blue Dress is not extremely fancy, but I love it. (Sorry for the bad quality of picture, by the way.) The simple design and black trimmings look casual but thrilling on her. And the yellow gloves she wears with it - Oh, suffice to say that I like it. :-)
 
 
 
 
 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's Honeymoon Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
I've always had a fondness for this dress - even before I watched the movie, if I can recollect well. As a younger girl I adored green and purple together - and the special, clashy patterns on this Scarlett's honeymoon dress made me squeal in delight! And that hat she's holding - I would have liked to see her wearing it. It looks weird.
 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's Red Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
My best friend Emma and I have a mutual love for this deliciously filled, gorgeously rich hoop-dress. It's the sort of dress that you just yearn to wear - it looks so dashed fun to be in, no? I also love the smart little bodice with all the velvet buttons rowing downward.
 
 
 
 
 
 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's Sweet Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Haha. My names for these dresses are so original, no? I named this one Scarlett's 'sweet' dress because I think she looks so sweet in this girlish, innocent-looking dress. It's white, with lace and baby-blue ribbons and waistband. I think it's a darling dress - it hardly gets enough screen! I can't even remember where she wore it - but when I saw this picture I knew I had to add it to my list. It's so sweet. :-)
 
 
 
 
 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Melanie's Grey Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I know this is not supposed to be Melanie's prettiest dress, but, according to myself, this mauve/grey/white/dove-coloured dress with the huge rosy ribbon looks absolutely darling on dear Melanie! Melanie is my favourite character in the movie and I wish she'd had gotten more nice dresses!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Melanie's Blue Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Of course Melanie has the AMAZING blue silk dress she wears to Scarlett's wedding (where she marries Ashley's brother).  We can hardly see the dress in the movie, so thank goodness Olivia de Havilland wore it for the official posed photos! This gown is beautiful, elegant, and oh - my favourite of all the Gone with the Wind dresses. I know. Says a lot, right?
 
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Scarlett's White Dress
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
But of course! Scarlett's beautiful frilled white dress - the one we all die to wear - the one she wears in the first scene! Oh it's such a delicious dress - so frilly, fussy, creamy, lacy... I could go on and on, sighing and swooning the whole way through. I would like to get married in a dress like this one - it's so SCRUMPTIOUS.


 
What is your favourite dress in Gone with the Wind?
Do you like the Fashion in that Era?

7 comments:

  1. The dresses from this movie are incredible!

    Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this movie, mostly because it's foru hours long :( But I will watch it soon!!

    Awesome-saucy is the best word I've heard all day!

    I love, love, love the green barbeque dress! Except it is a little low :(

    Melanie's blue dress!! It's just big!! And blue!!!

    And that white dress!! I don't really like too many frills, but I could see myself wearing this!! Until I spilled something on it...

    I think the white dress is my favorite. I like Civil War Era fashion, but I don't think I could wear it. It looks good, but sitting in hoop skirts and corsets... Ugh!! I love how it looks though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the dresses in Gone With the Wind.
    Mostly because of the hoop skirts.
    I am a BIG fan of hoop skirts. I just adore how they swing and float along and how big and twirly absolutely marvelously gorgeous they are. I love hoop skirts. Please give me one.

    I love pretty much every gown on this list especially the barbeque dress, white frilly gown, red gown, Christmas dress and Melanie's gown. I also like her curtain dress but I assume you don't as it's not on here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. squee! haven't watched this but the dresses are amazing! i love the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I LOVE 'Gone With the Wind'!!! I watched it again with my Dad a couple of weeks ago, eating caramel popcorn!

    The dresses are pretty, if not ALWAYS entirely completely historically accurate! At least they're better then 'Meet Me in St. Louis'! Do you really like her Christmas dress? The skirt and sash are very pretty, but that blouse looks too awkward!

    Oh, her barbeque dress! So pretty!!! And whenever I see it I remember Mammy trying to pull it higher and it makes me laugh!

    Her blue dress and the Honeymoon dress are lovely, because they're very convincing. They look quite Victorian!

    The other dresses I don't really have anything to say about... Sorry! They're just all so very... average...

    But historical costumes are my THING. You know how everyone has a THING? The THING they are so passionate about and care about and what to learn all about and do for the rest of their life and always be surrounded by? The THING they yearn to do forever, the THING that makes their heart beat faster and talk with a special look in their eye and particular tone in their voice? Well historical clothes have always been my THING, and now I really want to be a costume designer for films/theatre!

    Anyway, delightful post! Sorry I didn't participate in your Emma ones, but I don't know Emma very well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this movie and everything about it. The end. Just kidding, that's not the end.

    Ohhhhh I could just scroll through these and swoon over every single one. In fact, that's basically what I did. I think my favorite is still the green and white barbeque dress, but the red one is very close. Oh my goodness, it's just so big and red and beautiful.

    Lovely!

    ~Violet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I came across the post, because I have just watched the movie - again :)

    Scarlet's "sweet" dress if from scene of sewing circle, at Melanie's, after all men decide to revenge attack on Scarlet earlier that day, near the Lumber Mill.

    Also, Scarlet does not marry Ashley's brother. It is Melanie's brother she decides to marry to make Ashley jealous.

    I love the costumes and I wish we could dress like that now :) However I think there is much more to the movie then the costumes and love story. I think Scarlet's and Rhett's story serves to present historical events and changes they have brought. There are so many rich and evolving characters and situation they must face.

    I think I will watch it or read it again soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.