Thursday, 28 May 2015

Letters and Words and Books


Reading. One page after another. Glancing over words. Pages cramped with squiggly forms called 'letters' and being so ridiculously entranced. Gotta love reading.
“Woke up this morning with a terrific urge to lie in bed all day and read.”

-- Raymond Carver

I'm basically entranced with words. Whether it is to write them, or to read them or to create art with them. I'm just besotted with words. Letters. I mean, it's weird. They're just little squiggles - signs - crossed lines - little shapes. And yet they give me so much unending joy.
“We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.”Anaïs Nin

Everything with words pulls me. Like a magical magnet of some sort. I know, right, weird how it works. I find words irresistible. I want to read all the letters (I mean, hey, it's intruding into a person's privacy in a word-form way) in the world, and when there's someone texting next to me, I always glance over their shoulder and read the words appearing on the screen.

“That's absurd," I said with a little laugh. "Nobody can read too much. That's like saying someone breathes too much.” 

― Lynn AustinWonderland Creek


I know, this was a little of a sorry excuse for a post. But I just felt, in a moment's impulse, like sharing some pretty bookish pictures and my latest favourite quotes with you. Oh, and I wanted us all to pause a moment in our lives and ponder about the amazing-ness of those squiggly things. :-)
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” ― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief

Okay, one more quote, for good luck. They're made of words and letters, so, hey, we can't do much wrong, can we?
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.” ― Patrick RothfussThe Name of the Wind
Have a marvelous, word-packed day, m'dear bluestockings!

4 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh! You put in the quote from The Book Theif!! xD Ooooh this is just swellissimus! Honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a sweet post, Naomi. Thank you for sharing your bookish quotes and pictures! :)

    "I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." I can so relate to that. Writing is one of the most enjoyable--and infuriating--employments I've ever undertaken. ;) Words are fascinating, and it's wonderful when they flow together properly, but when they don't...oh! The frustration! I get hung up over words so often. I don't know how an author ever manages to write a complete book.

    I know this is commenting on the wrong post, but I just wanted to say, I really enjoyed your review of State Fair! It was very informative and interesting. :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful idea for a post!

    I've been thinking about this recently, too. Words are the best:D And the Book Thief quote!!!!!! I just finished that book again yesterday (makes me cry every. darn. time).

    Awesome quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was soooo beautiful and I loved the pictures...and the quotes, especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.