Friday, 11 March 2016

Inkling Exploriations / Post Office


I really really like the Inkling Explorations for March. (For more information about this swell Inkling Exploration series go over to Heidi's blog and read Stuff About It.) The topic for March is, in fact, a scene with a Post Office - AND I LOVE POST OFFICES. 

Post Offices mean letters, newspapers, the smell of ink, the smell of paper, news, gossip, love, words, sentances, handwriting, inkblots, folded leaflets of paper, addresses, envelopes, brown packages, surprises - gah, I love it. While I'm everlastingly thankful for emails and blogging, I do love real hold-in-the-hand letters and packages the most. You can hold them, smell them, feel them, store them in boxes, cherish them, re-visit them with nostalgic thoughts. And again, while I'm supes thankful that we have lovely postmen who come and put letters and news and Amazon packages in a cool box in front of our houses - can we just stop and imagine what it would be like if we had to walk to a post office to get our news? If I lived in those days, I'm sure the post office would be like, my favourite place in town. Me and the post office people would be best friends.

Obviously, Lark Rise to Candleford is the first that comes to mind. :-) Dorcas Lane with her corsetted post-office-y outfits, her gloves, her stamps, letter boxes - Thomas and Laura organising packages - Minnie fooling around with a cleaning mop at the back... SQUEE I LOVE THAT POST OFFICE.

The problem is... I can't choose A scene. There are so many, and I can't think of one specific Post-Office favourite. But here's a nice one. (It's Daniel's Very First Appearance and Minnie asks a funny question and it's just Lark Rise to Candleford and I like it a lot. :-D)


"They say whatever you might need in a small town... head for the post office." - Daniel Parish

10 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwww . . . that is cute :-)

    WHY does she say "Mar" like that? I've never heard anyone say that before.

    Also, what does Daniel want with her mother? That's confusing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I miss Lark Rise. I need to watch it again. :)

    Nothing beats hand-written (or typed...) letters! Email and such is so handy, but I hope letter writing never goes out of style. You and I (and everyone else who cares to join in) will have to keep the post office going ourselves. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll join!! I love handwritten letters . . . and post offices in general :D

      Delete
  3. Daaaaawwww. The dear loves :D

    "Post Offices mean letters, newspapers, the smell of ink, the smell of paper, news, gossip, love, words, sentances, handwriting, inkblots, folded leaflets of paper, addresses, envelopes, brown packages, surprises…" I love how you put that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAHHH I LOVE POST OFFICES. :D AND LARK RISE. If they were like that nowadays, I would TOTALLY work at a post office. ;)

    And I second Natalie - we'll have to keep the post office going ourselves. ;D

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeeeeeeeeeeehhhh I want to work in that post office. LIKE REALLY BAD.

    (I also want to watch Lark Rise.)

    Everything you said about post offices....yes, yes, YES. I'm so grateful for the ol' postal service!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love physical letters and packages as well. I don't have any pen pals by mail (only email) because it takes me forever to sit down and write the letter and get it posted. :(

    I am hoping to watch some Lark Rise to Candleford sometime. Our library has several whole seasons of it.

    Sarah
    http://sewcharacteristicallyyou.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! Lark Rise. I want to watch it again. :)

    Post offices (at least like the one in Lark Rise) are so deliciously cozy. Nice selection, Naomi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here I am! And yay, I'm sooo happy you did Lark Rise! *coughs* I was hoping you would as the link-up would have seemed so incomplete without it. ;D Actually, though my sisters have seen all the seasons I haven't yet, but still, guess what? I've actually seen this episode! And this moment is quite darling. So yes, I find that very tickle-ish, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.