Friday, 7 August 2015

In which I find out how many red-sky scenes there are in GONE WITH THE WIND

Sooo. Apparently I freaking love GONE WITH THE WIND (it really doesn't look proper when not typed out without caps. Admit that.) Despite the fact that I hate more than eighty percent of the characters and loathe everything about the ending and don't see any reason why the story line is that entruiging, I LOVE IT.

Right, so we're rewatching GONE WITH THE WIND at the moment (it's so epic and I hate it and I love it. GWTW makes me so confused.) and I've noticed that this movie, seriously, has red skies flauntering above like, half of the time.

Let's have a look.

1.

This is the first shot we get when the movie starts. Nope, not surprised. 

It's like a warning saying 'Hey, just saying, there's going to be looooads more shots like this, with silhouetted trees and fences and red blazing skies. Stay tuned.'

2.

Then, two seconds later, to show the time-era of the movie, we see slaves working in a field, with - TING, you got it, clever person, you - with red skies to back it up.

Why not, and all that.

3.

The next red sky-scene isn't far off. We see two slave boys tinging the bell to announce 'quittin' time.' Of course there's red skies. Hey, it's evening. EVERY evening is a red-sky one, right?

4.

When Scarlett, or as her dad calls her, Katie Scarlett, and Gerald have a daddy-daughter time, the skies are blazing beautifully. (Because we haven't had a red sky in such a long time, you know, and it was about time.)

It IS kinda beautiful, though. Just look at that.

5.

Let's see... where's the next red sky? Oh, there's plenty in Antlanta, what with the Yankees and all that. Apparently Yankees doesn't only mean red dust and fire, it also means that the skies miraculously turn into reds of all shades.

Don't ask me why, but it DOES help add to the epic effects.

6.

Hey look! Red skies, yes, but there's also a bit of blue around. A GONE WITH THE WIND scene with some BLUE SKY as well as red, everyone!

I'm astounded.

7.

Here's another one, just for your amusement.

8.

Ah, here we have the epic Rhett-says-goobye-to-Scarlett-and-leaves-her-alone-and-Rhett-somehow-loves-her-and-Scarlett-hates-him-and-then-they-kiss-the-epic-kiss- scene.

Because it's Scarlett and Rhett's first kiss of the movie, this scene has a lot of attention. The movie-makers must have put that into consideration, so they added a really, really, REALLY red sky, so that the people who paid attention would think the paying attention was worth-while. Maybe that's the reason.

9.

Oh, oh, oh. Now we have the EPICEST scene of cinema history, wherein Scarlett stands silhouetted against the good old red sky she's so familiar with, clenches her fist and tells us about three times that with God as her witness, she'll never be hungry again. (Even if she has to lie or cheat or steal or kill. Which is pretty mean of her, but never mind, it's a War, so everything's legal.)

Seriously though, this scene gives me CHILLS; It's soooo impossibly epic.

10.

Then, for the rest of the movie, because there are no outside evening scenes anymore, red skies miracurously disappear for a solid hour-and-more. But of course, the movie must end with something red-sky-ish and black-silhouette-ish and epic, so after Scarlett saying that she'll think about things 'tomorrow' (which is most unfair for us watchers, really), we see this shot of Scarlett standing alone, looking at Tara.

Because every single evening at Tara has red skies. Remember that.


Wow. There are "only" ten scenes with red skies. :-)

11 comments:

  1. I cannot handle Rhett Butler with his shirtsleeves rolled up. It's just too much for me.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in the morning, sailors take warning . . .

    Ahem. Moving on.

    Yeah, I can totally see how that would get a little boring. It does, however, look very "Southern"--in the Deep South (Mississipi, etc.) deep red/pink/orange sunsets are something you see a quite a lot. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the heat/humidity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe;D This amused me. (But then, your posts are always excessively diverting, old thing. You really have a gift:D)

    I really should re-watch GwtW soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The skies actually do look like that a lot in the summer in Georgia. :) I never noticed how much they use red skies in the film, though! I wonder if it was supposed to subtly add to the "Atlanta is BURNING" message? Like, the one with Rhett and Scarlett's first kiss: I always saw the red sky in that scenes as flames. I guess I never thought about it! (Also, red means scarlet! So maybe they were doing a symbol thing -- red skies to reinforce the Scarlett nature of the story.) :)

    Skies in Georgia are also blue, purple, gray, white, etc. But actually, very often red. As in, sometimes I'm just swept away watching the sun go down. Because, it's Gone with the Wind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 80% of the characters? really? I grew up in the Deep South and we have lived in Georgia for much of our married life. I have visited the Margaret Mitchell home in Atlanta--you would really like her. Despite the content of the movie, she had some very progressive ideas about race relations for her day. I think she had an understanding of Southern Culture for which she does not receive enough credit. Today, she is held in esteem as an "empowered entrepreneurial woman"--I think Margaret Mitchell saw her as a woman who did what was necessary to take care of her family. As for the sunsets and sky color, we have many beautiful early evenings here (we are north of Atlanta) with coral and rosy colored skies. We also have a GWTW tea room in our County. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was hilarious, Naomi! I've never seen GONE WITH THE WIND so of course I've never noticed their preference for red skies, but it was most enjoyable to read about it here on your blog.

    "Because it's Scarlett and Rhett's first kiss of the movie, this scene has a lot of attention...so they added a really, really, REALLY red sky..." Ha ha ha! Well put! Of course the kiss scene would have to have an extra dose! What could be more romantic than that? :)

    I wonder if there are places in the world where you really do have red skies almost every evening. I guess it's possible, though I've never experienced it myself.

    Well, I must be off. Just have to say, you come up with the most interesting post ideas, Naomi. "Sink me, I don't know how you do it!" (To quote Sir Percy.) :D

    Well, have a lovely night...or day...or whatever it is when you read this! :)

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
  7. My question has nothing to do with those post.....I apologize....but I've been wanting to ask you this question for AGES! :D

    In P&P '95, do you think Mrs. Bennet is right in saying that Jane is more beautiful than Lizzy? Or do you think it's vice versa and Lizzy is prettier?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma, it's okay, I guess. :-)

    Jessica, Oh, I like that saying. It's so old. :-) I didn't say I got tired of the red skies! I love red skies! I was just remarking sarcastically. :-) Yeah, maybe! That's interesting...

    Olivia, Thanks! How nice of you, old chump. :-)

    Jillian, yes I suppose they DO do that to add to the 'Atlanta is burning' and the whole scarlet idea. That's true. I LOVE THE RED SKIES THOUGH, so I'm fine with it! :-) (And yes, maybe that is fire in the kiss-scene. Although they are futher away from Antlanta. So maybe it's just sky.)

    Homeschool Mom, Don't get me wrong, I LOVE GWTW and I'm so thrilled that you're a fan!!! :-) But yes, I don't like many of the characters. I LOVE Melanie and Mammy. I love more characters in the book, such as Will and Archie (they aren't in the movie) - but I frankly don't care at all about Rhett or Scarlett or Suellen and... well, Ashley gets me on my nerves too.
    Yes, the skies are beautiful!

    Miss March, Thanks so much! You should watch this. It's pretty EPIC. It's TERRIBLY EPIC, actually. :-)
    Yeah, mmm, maybe. Maybe there are red-sky-places. That would be gorgeous.
    Haha, thanks, I'll have a lovely day. (I got your comment in the morning.)

    Anonymous, Ohh, I love random questions. :-)
    Haha, well, I've gotta say, I DO think Lizzy is prettier than Jane in that version. :-)

    ~ Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the random question: it's funny though, because the standards of beauty were different back then. For example, Mrs. Austen was very, very proud of her nose, which (I have seen it in pictures) was a tad duck-like to my way of thinking. :) Back then it signified a certain lineage which suggested aristocracy, I think -- so beauty was defined by that sort of thing, in many cases. (Perhaps everyone knows this. Pardon me for being an unashamed know-it-all with a penchant for lecturing where I am not wanted.) :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. @NaomiTheAwesome - Yes, perhaps it was just a sky. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.