1. Trees deserve to have names.
2. So do lakes and paths and flowers. Everything must have a name. VITAL.
3. War letters are addressed to the sister, but then given to the lover.
4. Dogs hang out at stations.
5. Italics are part of every girls life.
6. Before you blame someone for a lost object, have a look in your shawl.
7. Any red or pink drinks might end up intoxicating your best friend.
8. Names are better with E's at the end. Call me Naomie, people.
9. No petrol on a journey is a blessing in disguise.
10. Receiving a string of pearls for Christmas is the best.
11. Purple eyes exist.
12. Cats are way better than dogs.
13. But china dogs are nice for decoration.
14. You're allowed to go on a honeymoon if you aren't married.
15. Uncles make stupid jokes. (And they're always the same, and he expects you to laugh.)
16. It's in the paper, therefore it's true. I mean, it's PRINTED.
17. Pictures of God don't exist.
18. Old cars are way better than new, flashy, purple ones.
19. Never hang a picture of a dog in front of a door in your room. It's depressing.
20. Trees with blossom look like brides.
21. Pink and red look AWFUL together. White and red, however, is gorgeous.
22. The name Jane is beautiful.
23. Your favourite writer and your husband are probably the same person.
24. Kissing babies is really dangerous for the babies. Like, avoid kissing babies.
25. Only writing things that are 'true' is really hard.
26. It's easier to pray in a wide open field than in your bedroom.
27. Voices can sound like rainbows.
28. Apparently carrots are red?!
29. You can't even eat caramel chocolates when you're in the depths of despair. And that says a lot.
30. Always check the bed before you jump on it.
31. Bangs are fashionable.
32. Kisses on the stations are 'comradely' kisses.
33. Don't spend your money on a pretty green hat during war-time. You will never enjoy wearing it.
34. Hired boys become ministers.
35. Never, ever attempt to dye your hair. You will look like a scarecrow.
36. Don't buy shoes with heels.
37. Playing violins in an orchard is totally the bestest thing to do.
38. If you can't talk, the first word you ever say will probably be the name of your future husband.
39. Your first grown-up party will end really badly.
40. Daisy chains make good necklaces.
41. Buttoned boots are really annoying.
42. There is nothing more embarrassing than aprons with sleeves.
43. Is fifteen old enough to be a bridesmaid?
44. Thinking a beautiful thought each day in front of the mirror is a very good New Year's resolution.
45. Prince Edwards Island is gorgeous and it's PERFECT.
46. Dust piles are really important.
47. Men with scars are handsome.
48. Remember when Doss stole the raspberry jam? That was hilarious. Let's talk about it every week.
49. Jimmy-books are always good presents.
50. Puffed Sleeves are life.