Saturday, 12 December 2015

"Pleased to meet you, Otto."



Most of you know my unending love for this Gorgeous, Beautiful, Everything Christmas Advert. I believe it's the BEST Ad ever made (no seriously. Ever.) And it is, in my 'umble opinion, the best video on Youtube. (Not even an overstatement.) Gahhh. I adore this video. I've seen it about Frigillion times, and still it makes me sniff and cry and smile and griiiiin. I just LOVE it. To biiiits.

I remember watching it for the first time. This was my reaction to it.

0:01 - Oh! It's set in 1914. Oh look, it's the trenches. OH WAIT. IS THIS ABOUT THE CHRISTMAS TRUCE.
0:04 - What an unappetizing biscuit. They're not trying to sell that - don't tell me.
0:08 - Oh, the post. I love letters. That boy looks ridiculously young to be in the trenches.
0:13 - Awww, it's a package from his sweetheart. ("Rose, her name is.") Nice picture - I like the Edwardian style of the dress.
0:16 - AHH. ZEE CHOCOLATE. That is what they're trying to sell. Now I know.
0:17 - Look at his adorable grin. He's adorable.
0:21 - Oh, hark! He hears something. I KNOW WHAT IT IS. IT'S SILENT NIGHT. *listens quietly*
0:29 - Yes! It's the Germans singing Silent Night.
0:38 - Ahhhh. Shivers are already coming up my spine, for the English and the Germans are singing it together. It's just so saaaad and happy.
0:43 - Oh, that guy is handsome. I love the way his eyes twinkle.
0:58 - They're all singing with great gusto now and it's amazing.
1:06 - The snow is so pretty. (I wish I would snow right now, by the way. I'm tired of having no snow - I haven't had a good layer of snow for such a weary long time.)
1:10 - Hello, Mr Robin.
1:12 - I love his lopsided GRIIIIN. He looks so much like Robbie in 'Violins of Autumn.'
1:15 - WAIT. What is he thinking? Why is he rubbing his hands?????
1:17 - HE'S DOING IT. azguuzhreuhu.
1:20 - "A Brit is coming!" Wait they can't shoot him. No, they won't shoot him. No, it's Christmas.
1:26 - THE HANDSOME GERMAN SAVES HIM. He saves his life peoples. "Halt! Es ist nicht bewaffnet!" (Which means; Stop! He's not armed!)
1:34 - He's going over toooooo. Stop itttt guys this is way to sad.
1:42 - GAHH. They're walking towards each-other and I'm starting to cry and OHHH. The piano music starts and they're so scared and happy and pit^rutareu; 
1:47 - I love these boys.
1:49 - They're putting their hands down - they're all walking closer. STOP IT. I AM CRYING.
1:51 - REALLY CRYING RIGHT NOW OKAY.
1:56 - "My name is Jim." "Meine Name ist Otto."
1:57 - PLEASED TO MEET YOU OTTO. Shut up all of you darling boys this is way to emotional for me.
2:01 - They're taking pictures together. All the happy faces together. Germans and Englishmen arm in arm. *bawls*
2:03 - "Rose, she's called." "Sie ist shön." They're talking about girls together just like friends do.
2:08 - NOW THEY'RE GOING TO PLAY FOOTBALL TOGETHER. NO I AM NOT CRYING. I JUST HAVE A TERRIBLE COLD OKAY.
2:10 - His smile breaks my heart.
2:15 - I love that a German is shaving an Englishman (or vice-versa, I can't tell). 
2:19 - I'm still crying by the way. ALL THE HAPPY VOICES. AND THE MUSIC ON THE BACKGROUND. Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.
2:21 - They're cheering each other. THEY'RE CHEERING EACH OTHER.
2:27 - Jim and Otto fall on the ground together. Why can't they just be best friends and marry sisters and then have a double wedding???????
2:34 - I'm still crying. Just saying.
2:37 - WAIIT. Is something wrong?
2:40 - THERE IS.
2:45 - SOB. NO. IT'S TIME TO GO BACK. Look how their all shake each other's hands and thump each other's shoulders. Sobbbbbb.
2:48 - Jim gives Otto his (Otto's) coat (Spoiler: he put the chocolate in)
2:50 - GAH THEY ARE SAYING GOODBYE WHY MUST THIS HAPPEN. Noooooooooooo.
2:53 - "Happy Christmas." "Frohe Weinachten." *sobs for hours*
2:56 - Look how sad he is.
3:00 - OTTO GOT THE CHOCOLATE. geyét"é!ot'd"bort"zètdobtr.
3:02 - I NEED SOME.
3:03 - Sobbbbbbbbbbbb.
3:09 - He's so handsome though.
3:10 - And he's so cute and adorable shut up.
3:12 - AND NOW I AM STILL CRYING BECAUSE I SEE THE WORDS CHRISTMAS IS FOR SHARING. What a beautiful, simple, deep message. I don't even have the words for this video people I just don't. I am crushed for life and in love with both Otto and Jim I can't choose.

Gah. This video really knows how to tug at my heartstrings and rip my heart apart. Everyone should see it. EVERYONE. I love it to death.

18 comments:

  1. You just can't stop, can you? ;-P (I mean that in a very good way. It looks sarcastic on the computer screen, but it's not.)

    How did you first see this video? Was it an ad on some other video? I agree, it IS the best ad ever. It's so good you don't even realize it's an ad until the end, and then it's like, "Well, why did you just put me through all this emotional trauma if all you wanted to do was sell me a freaking chocolate bar????"

    It is beautiful, yes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. :-) No, I can't. :-)

      I can't remember how I first saw it. No, it wasn't an ad on another video. It was last year - I think I was looking up stuff about the Christmas Truce (like I always do around Christmas every year because YOU KNOW) and then that popped up and my life changed. :-)

      HAHA. I know. :-) I like that they put in the chocolate bar, though. :-)

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
  2. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL NAOMI WHY MUST YOU TEAR MY HEART THUS?!!!!!

    Really. This is so lovely and sad. I loved reading all your feels through the video :D OH the handsome German saves him!!! Gah. I love Otto and Jim. And then they talk about GIRLS just like regular boys *sobs* TOTALLY EVERYONE IN THE WORLD SHOULD SEE THIS VIDEO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwwwwww . . . I know how you feel . . . I love this video TOO. It's just so sweet.

    "Happy Christmas." "Froh Weinachten." ALL DA FEELS.

    I know, right??? It's so hard to choose . . . I love them both, but if I HAD to pick I'd choose Otto. I can't help it--I'm part German myself and I just have this natural affinity for German guys. It's a Thing.

    Newsies in roughly 5 hours. (at 2pm our time, and right now it's almost 9.) Officially freaking out.

    Have you seen this video, by the way? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoWyO2TEuY IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT YET YOU HAVE TO. IT'S AWESOME. I can't wait to see him live. (todayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allll da feels. :-)

      I think Otto is handsomer, but I'd choose Jim because I like Brits. :-D
      AHHHHHHHHH. HAVE FUN YOU TWO. HAVE FUN. :-)

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
    2. I guess that's probably 'cause you're part British yourself--whereas I have basically no British in me at all. I've got mainly German, Eastern European, and Irish/Scottish. (In that order.)

      Delete
  4. WELL THANKS A LOT FOR RIPPING MY HEART OUT.

    *bawls*

    No, seriously, this post was all kinds of feelsy and gorgeous, and I'm considering doing a nice, serious review of this ad on my blog. Thoughts?

    ~Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELL YOU'RE WELCOME. :-D :-D

      Thanks so much though. I'd LOVE to read a review - although my comment on it will be embarrassingly capital letters-ish. :-)

      ~ Naomi

      Delete
  5. Simply beautiful. I showed it to my mom and we teared up together! If you want to further break your heart I suggest you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-0kYhqoRo&feature=player_detailpage
    It's another ad that has nothing to do with the company (it's a German grocery store) but oh my word, the emotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH. ABBY THAT VIDEO YOU SHOWED ME. You made me cryyyy. That must be the second best ad. :-)

      Delete
  6. So lovely! That steamed up my eyes. x Merry Christmas, Naomi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Jillian! Merry early Christmas. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hahaha, well, I couldn't very well read this post without watching the video again and --and--and.....*bursts into tears*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, it's all right. ;) It is SO sad, though.

      Delete
  8. I love this video so much! I have heard different variations of this story, but I love watching it. It's so heart breaking for me because I can see the beautiful side of humanity that is torn and destroyed with the brutality of war.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhh, way to MAKE ME CRY. I held out until he felt in his pocket and found the chocolate; then I lost it.

    Thank you for sharing this, Naomi! It is so beautiful. (AND THE TRUE GRIT MUSIC)

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.