Friday, 19 August 2016

Downton Abbey Week Starts! + Tag Questions


Blast the trumpets, sound the organ, the epic Downton Abbey week is HERE! 

Right on the doorstep, waiting to be busy, waiting to encourage a new flock of thousands to watch its genius masterpiece episodes and waiting for its old and new fans to discuss the good bits over and over again. For once, I am allowed to be dramatic, because this is Downton Abbey we're talking about, dearest, and if anything is dramatic, it's Downton Abbey. And I mean that in the best sense, as in THRILLING-dramatic, and EPIC-dramatic and soulfully-dramatic.

It is true, Downton Abbey has it's objectionable content. There are scenes here and there that I could definitely do without. I say this, because I know people expect me to say this; and yeah, it's important to know, so you're warned and all that, and so you can skip When Necessary. Having said that though, this week I'm going to focus on the majority of the show - The Good. Downton Abbey makes my heart warm, 90% of its plots make me swoon, smile or SOB, and my word it is a good show. It really is EPIC AND AMAZING AND GAHHH. ME LOVES.

(Basically, I'm going to swoon and love everything this week, but be aware that I definitely do not condone everything in the show. There are many things that are very secular about it, and I think that is very sad (as well as cumbersome, snort.))


Point made, Naomi loves Downton Abbey, and the Downton Abbey Week Has Officially Started. (And this may not be as exciting as she makes it to be, but hushhh. Don't spoil my moment!)

How do weeks work? How can you join in? It's easy. Of course, I run what goes on on my blog - I will post about twice a day till the week is over. You may read said posts if you feel up to it, and you may furthermore contribute to the week by doing one or all or two of the following things:

1. Comment on the posts. 
Firstly, do play the Downton Abbey game (coming up soon today). Then, share your opinions, your Downton Abbey love; your fondness towards this character and your dislike towards that one. Lets have fun and talk together and be like this cool Downton Abbey society for a week. Even if you've never seen the show, you can still share your thoughts - you have thoughts - and prejudgements and et-cetera.
2. If you have a blog, write a Downton Abbey themed blog post. 
Could be anything. "A Review of Episode 4 of Season 3", "Downton Abbey Weddings", "On Sarah O'Brian", "That time when Kate Middleton visited the set of Downton Abbey", "My ten favourite Downton Abbey characters"... the list of possible blog posts goes on and on. Once you have written the post(s) (write as many as you want!) come back to this post right here now and paste the link to your post in the comment section, so I can read it and comment, and then link back to it at the wrap-up post at the end. If you do not tell me of your posts, I might never read it and that would be sad indeed.
3. You can fill out the tag.
The tag - the list of questions - could be filled out either on your blog, or either in the comment section. Here's the list:


The Downton Abbey Tag:

1. Who introduced you to Downton Abbey?
2. What Season did you (or: do you think you would) enjoy the most?
3. Who wore the prettiest wedding dress?
4. What plot twist/ scene came most unexpected to you? (Or do you pre-read all the spoilers?)
5. If you could save one character from dying, who would you save?
6. Who is your favourite Downton Abbey footman?
7. What typo annoys you more? "Downtown Abbey" or "Downton Abby"?
8. Which character do you think developed the best throughout the seasons?
9. Favourite Downton couple? (Okay, pick two, because there's too much cuteness to narrow down to one.)
10. Which of Granny Grantham's one-liners is your favourite?
11. How do you react when you meet another DA-lover?
12. Do you think the show should go on and on, or do you think it should have ended earlier?
13. Which room in Downton Abbey is your favourite?
14. If you could be part of the story, would you rather be a person downstairs or upstairs?
15. Who would you rather spend an afternoon with, Mrs Patmore or Lady Grantham (Cora)?
16. Do you have any Downton Abbey inside jokes with someone?
17. Describe the show in one word.
18. On a scale of 1-10, how much of a fan do you consider yourself?
19. Do you sometimes forget who is who?
20. Finally, who is your favourite character (okay, pick three favourites, but no more than three - NO MORE), and why do you love them? 


Thank you so much for joining me - we're going to have a good time! 
(A good time? How Middle Class.)
(Now, for the time being, we shall not meet again.) 
("Do you promise?")

Also: I MUST WARN YOU: There will be spoilers in this week, so read with caution. (!!!!)

15 comments:

  1. SCREAMING! I am filling this tag out now! OHNO! I need to get my header done too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all very lovely! (Although I must admit, I AM slightly clueless about Downton. I mean, I even spelt it "Downtown Abbey" for goodness knows how along, although I'm happy to say I know very well how to spell the word 'abbey'. :D)

    Oh, and one question... am I allowed to play the DA game without having seen the show? Intuition, lucky guess and all that? ;)

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can make an attempt at the game. Good luck, haha. :-)

      Delete
    2. Haha... thanks. :P I'm gonna need it.

      ~Meg

      Delete
  3. Hooray! :D

    And actually I'm pretty sure it is as exciting as you make it out to be. (If you take that as a compliment, "I must have said it wrong" JUST KIDDING). But yes, I am excited. :)

    Oooh, I love the tag!! It's so delightful! I will put that up ASAP and soon thereafter another DA post or two. And of course I shall be commenting on everyone else's and basking in the happiness of Downton. <3

    "How middle class." Quite right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you in, Meredith! Looking forward to your tag answers. :-)

      Delete
    2. Here you are! http://onstoriesandwords.blogspot.com/2016/08/let-joyous-news-be-spread-in-which.html

      Delete
    3. And another contribution: http://onstoriesandwords.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-underrated-characters-of-downton.html

      Delete
  4. *in Aaron Burr's voice* "Here comes the General--THIS should be fun!"

    Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, it's Downton Abbey week! I've been looking forward to this for a while; even though I'm not that into DA, because blog parties are alllllllllllllllways such fun. So here we go! :-)

    Mmmmmmmmmmmm . . . thoughts, prejudgments, etc? Well . . . I really wish this show didn't have so much Content, because it's one of the things that keeps me from actually trying to watch it. Like, I get that you can skip inappropriate scenes, etc; it's just that it seems to be a big part of the plot, and that usually bothers me even if I DON'T actually "see" it. So yeah, I just wish Julian Fellowes had decided to make this show more family-friendly, so I could (maybe) enjoy it too . . .

    Although I might not like it, even without the content issues; because it's super dramatic and I don't tend to like drama. It makes me mad. So maybe I'm better off just not watching it anyways ;-)

    But I like the costumes and settings, they're very beautiful :-) And I love the fact that the writers incorporate so much actual history into the plot--like, the Great War, and the Irish revolution, and the women's movement, and the changing position of the aristocracy . . . that's very important for a period drama, and some do it much better than others. But DA always seems to do it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Downton Abbey week! Huzzah!

    1. Who introduced you to Downton Abbey? -- You, Naomi!
    2. What Season did you (or: do you think you would) enjoy the most? -- I have no idea. Since I've never watched the show, probably the first season.
    3. Who wore the prettiest wedding dress? -- Lady Mary!
    4. What plot twist/ scene came most unexpected to you? (Or do you pre-read all the spoilers?) -- I was surprised and quite saddened to learn that after Matthew dies, Lady Mary does get involved with someone else.
    5. If you could save one character from dying, who would you save? -- Lady Sybil! Of course!
    6. Who is your favourite Downton Abbey footman? -- William.
    7. What typo annoys you more? "Downtown Abbey" or "Downton Abby"? -- "Downtown Abbey", definitely! Get it right, people.
    8. Which character do you think developed the best throughout the seasons? -- I'm gonna say Bates.
    9. Favourite Downton couple? (Okay, pick two, because there's too much cuteness to narrow down to one.) -- Tom and Sybil! All the way. Then I do like Mary and Matthew too.
    10. Which of Granny Grantham's one-liners is your favourite? "I don't dislike him, I just don't like him; which is quite different."
    11. How do you react when you meet another DA-lover? -- Oh, hallo!
    12. Do you think the show should go on and on, or do you think it should have ended earlier? -- Earlier.
    13. Which room in Downton Abbey is your favourite? -- The kitchen.
    14. If you could be part of the story, would you rather be a person downstairs or upstairs? -- Upstairs. I'd stir them up a bit!
    15. Who would you rather spend an afternoon with, Mrs Patmore or Lady Grantham (Cora)? -- Mrs. Patmore.
    16. Do you have any Downton Abbey inside jokes with someone? -- Yes!
    17. Describe the show in one word. -- Melodramatic.
    18. On a scale of 1-10, how much of a fan do you consider yourself? -- Five, since I haven't actually watched any of the episodes all the way through.
    19. Do you sometimes forget who is who? -- Some of the servants, yes.
    20. Finally, who is your favourite character (okay, pick three favourites, but no more than three - NO MORE), and why do you love them? -- Tom, because he has to go through SO MUCH; Sybil, because she's so spunky and beautiful; and Bates, since he's so KIND.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But it IS that exciting!!!!! BECAUSE DOWNTON IS THE BEST. (Even though I still miiiiight like The Waltons better. But I don't know if I'd say that if you put a gun to my head. I don't really think I want to find out. Anyways.) Let the swooning and gushing begin -- I'm ready for it. :-) This is going to be such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finished : ) I did the tag and the game in one post, and I have to say, that game was a little tricky too! http://revealedintime.blogspot.com/2016/08/downton-abbey-week-day-one-tag-game.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so excited for this! I recently started Downton Abbey and I've been watching a ridiculous amount of it...but it's SO good (minus the skip-able scenes, of course)! I'm almost done with season 3 and honestly I don't know why I haven't watched it sooner! I'm looking forward to reading your posts! :D

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS IS SO EXCITING! I've written up a post already: https://aportraitofgrace.wordpress.com/2016/08/21/all-this-unbridled-joy-has-given-me-quite-an-appetite-downton-abbey-week/

    I love the tag, but I'm going to go ahead and fill it out in this comment if that's alright. :)
    **WARNING: SPOILERS LURK AHEAD**
    1. My Grandmommy; she lent me her DVDs of Seasons 1-3 and it's been my favorite ever since. (Ignoring, of course, the Secular Content that is Not Okay.)
    2. Probably Season Two, and/or Season Three (up to Episode Four and no further because I am still not okay with that one). WWI has always been a time period that has fascinated me (which began with my reading Rilla), and Downton brings its characters through it *so* well.
    3. Rose. They're all gorgeous, but Rose's looks almost ethereal and is something I would wear.
    4. I try to avoid spoilers as much as possible. But Sybil's death, I was completely unprepared for. I DIDN'T NEED MY HEART ANYWAY.
    5. Sybil. And Matthew too if possible.
    6. William! I also liked Alfred. And I grew to like Thomas over the course of the show, but I didn't truly care about him as a character until the end, when he came full circle after going through so much.
    7. *eye twitches* They both bother me, but I can put up with Downtown Abbey with a mere eye-roll. But Downton Abby? That's just wrong. Abby is a girl's name. Not a place.
    8. Hmm. Both Edith and Thomas had such wonderful character developments by the end of the show. I would say that as far as changing the most goes, it would probably be Edith.
    9. Sybil and Tom, Anna and Bates. (I also love Mary and Matthew.)
    10. THIS IS DIFFICULT. One of my favorites is, "Well, we can't have him assassinated... I suppose." I also love, "Do we think she's mad, ill, or working for the Russians?" Oh, Granny, how we love you.
    11. I don't freak out, but it does make me happy because then we can talk about the loveliness and the plots and characters and historical goodness. And I always love finding fellow Downton fans. ^_^
    12. I'm happy with how it ended, but I do think it could've been ended earlier, easily. Maybe before the end of Season Three? :P If they ever did decide to resurrect Downton, it would be cool to see a WWII series focused on Sybbie and George and Marigold, but other than that, I'm perfectly content.
    13. The library, because it's a huge gorgeous library and I know that's where I would be found if I was a Crawley, and Sybil's room, because it's bright and sunshine-filled and Sybil-ish and I love it.
    14. I'd probably go for a happy medium, and be middle-class like Isobel and Matthew and/or the Bransons. I would want the freedom to live the way I chose to, as well as the ability to work outside of service. I'd want to be a writer or journalist-- perhaps work for Edith's paper? That would suit me well.
    15. Either of them, really. Mrs. Patmore would make me laugh, and we would roll our eyes at the too-complicated love lives of the downstairs people; Cora and I would bond over our American-ism and tea.
    16. Oh yes, definitely. xD
    17. DRAMA. (Alternate Option: LOVELINESS.)
    18. Probably an 8. It's my favorite show, but I'm not *obsessed* with it. I go through periods where I get really into it (namely when new seasons are showing), but I don't think about or watch it all the time.
    19. The minor characters who don't play very important/recurring roles, yes.
    20. Sybil, Anna, and the Dowager-- and I explain a bit of why in my blog post. ;)

    Thanks for this tag, Naomi; it was so much fun!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.