Saturday, 20 August 2016

My Answers to the Downton Abbey Tag

(Warning: There are mild spoilers sprinkled throughout this post. But read it anyway, because it won't hurt.)


1. Who introduced you to Downton Abbey?
My mother's uncle lent us the dvd, and I was hooked from the very start. (At least I think. I mean, I would expect. It was quite a while ago now. :-P)

2. What Season did you (or: do you think you would) enjoy the most?
SEASON TWO IS THE BEST. (Although sheeesh, season one is amazing too, and season three I love as well, and season six is purty amazing as well.) Season two is my favourite though, because:
1. The WAR makes for heart-breaking plots and scenes and just... epiccc. 
2. A LOT of Matthew and Mary (and Sybil and Tom.)
3. William <3 <3 
4. Remember when Mary sings and Matthew joins her??? (I  a l w a y s  m e l t .) 
5. The Christmas Special = Perfect.

3. Who wore the prettiest wedding dress?
I love Mary's (when she married Matthew, of course) - but the prize, I believe, goes to Rose Aldridge - who wore this beautiful article. (Apparently one of the only real vintage dresses worn on the show!)


4. What plot twist/ scene came most unexpected to you? (Or do you pre-read all the spoilers?)
I pre-read all the spoilers. *ashamed look* :-P However, despite that, Edith getting jilted at the altar came pretty unexpected, and Robert throwing up blood at the dinner table was pretty unexpected too.
(AND SYBIL AND MATTHEW SUDDENLY UGH.)
(Oh yes, I think Sybil dying was the worst. Because I don't think I knew.)

5. If you could save one character from dying, who would you save?
As much as I love Sybil and William, I WOULD SAVE MY BOY MATTHEW.

6. Who is your favourite Downton Abbey footman?
William. He was the sweetest lad on earth.


7. What typo annoys you more? "Downtown Abbey" or "Downton Abby"?
Downtown. 'Abby' looks more like an accidental typo, but 'Downtown' looks more like a 'nooo-THIS-is-how-you-spell-it'-obnoxious typo, and it annoys me. :-P

8. Which character do you think developed the best throughout the seasons?
Rose has developed so much throughout the seasons - first she's this boy-crazy, wild flirt with crazy hair and secret smoking sessions - and by the end she's a cheerful, mature lady with a very charming husband.
Thomas Barrow also - he's nothing but evil at the beginning, and by evil I mean really not nice at all. But by the end he's like one of my favourite characters and I love him. :-)


9. Favourite Downton couple? (Okay, pick two, because there's too much cuteness to narrow down to one.)
Tom and Sybil have a huge place in my heart (they are DEFINITELY my number 2 couple because MY WORD they are epic and dramatic and *explodes*), as do Anna & Bates, Rose & Atticus and Edith & Bertie, but you all know that my favourite, always-will-love-to-death couple is Matthew and Mary. They just get me, man. They are ridiculously adorable, heart-breaking and bewilderingly epic and just... they are the couple of the show and I LOVE them.

I mean... JUST LOOOOK:


Don't cry. DON'T CRY.

10. Which of Granny Grantham's one-liners is your favourite?
My favourite is 'Sybil, vulgarity is no substitute for wit' because I can quote it in my daily life and sound so smart. :-P

11. How do you react when you meet another DA-lover?
"Oh, I LOVE Downton Abbey! It's my favourite ever! Who's your favourite character? Have you seen all of it? What did you think of the ending?" and, in my heart I say, "WE ARE FRIENDS."

12. Do you think the show should go on and on, or do you think it should have ended earlier?
While I enjoyed season six a looot (and season four and five had their very good bits as well), they could have ended with this scene, right?! RIGHT??? THEY COULD HAVE.


13. Which room in Downton Abbey is your favourite?
The library is sooo cool because it has a door filled with books. I love that door.

14. If you could be part of the story, would you rather be a person downstairs or upstairs?
Pros of upstairs:
1. You get to wear pretty clothes and that is a big deal.
2. You don't have to worry about waking up on time, and you get breakfast in bed and everything. Oh, the sheer luxury.
3. You get to talk with Lady Grantham. Plus Matthew.
4. You're one of the important ones.
Pros of downstairs:
1. It's wayyy cosier.
2. You don't have to worry about being ladylike.
3. It more fun.
4. You get to talk with Mrs Patmore. Plus Tom. (Although he goes up sooner or later.)
My first instinct is upstairs, but I think that maybe I'd feel more at ease downstairs. (Where there actually is something to DO.) (I want to be both, though.)

15. Who would you rather spend an afternoon with, Mrs Patmore or Mrs Crawley/ Cora?
Mrs Patmore is lovely, but I'd rather spend an afternoon with Cora. (If I can choose though, I would like to spend an afternoon with Lady Grantham - aka Violet - aka best character ever.)


16. Do you have any Downton Abbey inside jokes with someone?
Yes. :-) Let's keep it there. It takes too long to explain. (You know, why its funny when Anna says 'wedding', and how Tom looks in Season Six... I can't explain it.)

17. Describe the show in one word.
EPIC AND AMAZING AND FANTASTIC.

18. On a scale of 1-10, how much of a fan do you consider yourself?
I would say 10, but I'm sure there are even bigger and more 'experienced' fans than I. So I'll go with 9. :-P Maybe after I've rewatched it, I'll go up. :-)


(Ahhhh, do you remember how amazing Season Two was?!! And Sybil as a nurse? She slayed.)

19. Do you sometimes forget who is who?
Sometimes, some of the little characters who made an appearance in an early show and suddenly pop up again in a later show... (and I'm expected to remember the name and everything.)

20. Finally, who is your favourite character (okay, pick three favourites, but no more than three - NO MORE), and why do you love them? 
Okay. I can do this.
1. Lady Grandma (I seriously wrote 'Grandma' instead of 'Grantham' accidentally. I'm going to keep it that way because it looks good.) - I love her because she's hilarious and stubborn and kind-hearted and strong and just... I love her. She's the best.
2. Matthew Crawley - he's my fictional fiancé; he's so sweet and so goodlooking and so gentlemanly... I love him MAJORLY.
3. Sybil Crawley - a sweet, sweet girl... SPOILER my heart broke when she died. She was the sweetest thing ever and I want her voice (it's so cute!!) and I just love Sybil so much. Can I be her friend?!!

(Bonus mentions: Anna Bates (the DEAR), William, Mrs Hughes, Tom Branson (!!!!) and Rose. And Bertie.)


Here are the questions again, if you haven't yet filled them out! 
1. Who introduced you to Downton Abbey?
2. What Season did you (or: do you think you would) enjoy the most?
3. Who wore the prettiest wedding dress?
4. What plot twist/ scene came most unexpected to you? (Or do you pre-read all the spoilers?)
5. If you could save one character from dying, who would you save?
6. Who is your favourite Downton Abbey footman?
7. What typo annoys you more? "Downtown Abbey" or "Downton Abby"?
8. Which character do you think developed the best throughout the seasons?
9. Favourite Downton couple? (Okay, pick two, because there's too much cuteness to narrow down to one.)
10. Which of Granny Grantham's one-liners is your favourite?
11. How do you react when you meet another DA-lover?
12. Do you think the show should go on and on, or do you think it should have ended earlier?
13. Which room in Downton Abbey is your favourite?
14. If you could be part of the story, would you rather be a person downstairs or upstairs?
15. Who would you rather spend an afternoon with, Mrs Patmore or Lady Grantham (Cora)?
16. Do you have any Downton Abbey inside jokes with someone?
17. Describe the show in one word.
18. On a scale of 1-10, how much of a fan do you consider yourself?
19. Do you sometimes forget who is who?
20. Finally, who is your favourite character (okay, pick three favourites, but no more than three - NO MORE), and why do you love them?


(Look how cute Mr Bates is.)

Do fill out this tag! 
Are our Downton Abbey opinions pretty similar so far? Or do we differ a lot? Let's comment and discuss. :-)

14 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS THAT WEDDING DRESS. It's DELICIOUS. It's so float-y and elegant and beautifully trimmed and those gloves and oh my goodness what's not to love. I mean, hello, it's CINDERELLA.

    Haha. But I didn't MEAN to be obnoxious when I spelt it 'Downtown Abbey'. :P

    I don't know why but I already love Rose. (Methinks it has something to do with Cinderella?)

    Waaaiiit... how many DA seasons are there??

    Breakfast in bed?! UPSTAIRS ALL THE WAY. :P

    Oh WOW. That last picture of Sybil (3rd last picture over all) looks SO MUCH LIKE JENNY WILLIS FROM THE WILLIS CLAN DON'T YOU THINK??!!!
    (She's very pretty.)
    (I wish I had dark hair.)
    (And bluey green eyes.)
    (And a cute voice.) (My voice is actually pretty low. Heh.)

    I can't reeeally fill out the tag properly, as I don't know quite enough about it to answer all the questions. :)

    ~Miss Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT IT'S GORGEOUS.
      Haha, I know you didn't!

      I KNOWWW. I've thought that SO OFTEN. Jenny Willis looks SO MUCH like Sybil!

      Delete
  2. Totally not crying there's just a tear rolling down my cheek! Great answers dear! I filled mine in too! :D Hopefully they've published now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your answers are very similar to what I've been brainstorming. Just know I didn't copy you when I publish them. :D

    Hmmm, no, I don't quite agree it could have ended with that scene. It would've left Rose un-reformed. And everyone would wonder what happened to poor Edith. But then maybe it would've been worth it for the sake of our DEAR MATTHEW. :(

    (Isn't it funny how the words "poor" and "dear" always accompany "Edith" and "Matthew" respectively?)

    Basically everything else I would've said here in agreement to your answers I'll say in my own post, so for now I'll just say: good answers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must be some kind of DA twinsies, I suppose! :-)
      Hahaha, that's true! Poor Edith and Dear Matthew. Very fitting adjectives, heehee.

      Delete
  4. It seems to be a general consensus that season 2 is the best season and rightfully so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie Smith is one of the greatest actresses ever. This is a well-known fact.

    :-)

    I think I would save Sybil from dying, if I had a choice . . . because I seriously disapprove of randomly killing off female characters in childbirth just to make a Tragic Scene. (looking at YOU, Julian Fellowes) Although Matthew's death is really sad and pointless too. But I still think I would save Sybil.

    I love Rose's wedding dress too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS. SO MANY OF OUR ANSWERS ARE THE SAME. WE EVEN SELECTED THE SAME IMAGE OF ROSE. We both love William for his sweetness, and oh my, but you're right: if they'd ended the show at that moment when Mary gave Downton an heir, it would have been bittersweet and perfect, like a long movie that ended just right, even though I would have STRONGLY wanted more. (I confess that I wanted more. And I do like that in three more seasons Edith came to life, and lived well.) x

    YES ON LIVING DOWNSTAIRS for exactly the reasons you state!

    THE SCENE WHERE MARY AND MATTHEW SING TOGETHER. Also, their stolen dance by the Victrola. Am I right?

    "Lady Grandma." That is perfect.

    I made my blog live again (a different address now, do not ask for I don't know why) just so I could answer these tag questions. Here are my responses:

    http://jilliansofwords.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-downton-abbey-tag.html

    xxx Thanks for hosting, Naomi. Such fun! I was feeling a little sad about another matter this weekend, but filling out this tag cheered me up, and actually made me laugh. Which I needed. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE SCENE WHERE MARY AND MATTHEW SING TOGETHER. AND THE DANCE.
    THOSE SCENES ARE JUST WITHOUT WORDS BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THE SINGING SCENE MADE MY MOTHER CRY AND I WAS CRYING TOO!

      Delete
    2. It's also inspiration for a scene I'm currently writing in my book :D

      Delete
  8. Look how cute Mr. Bates is!!!!

    Yes, I think season two has the most meltingly-gorgeous-horribly-tragic-and-painfully-beautiful parts. I will always remember watching those episodes together with you. :-)

    I loved your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've filled out the tag! Here it is: http://violetcottage.blogspot.com/2016/08/a-downton-abbey-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Leaving me a comment is like walking by my house and dropping a little note in the post-box. I mean, it's really nice of you. So thanks.